New nVidia drivers (441.87 - WHQL) are available with new Variable Rate Super Sampling feature

Based on the article you posted, it looks like this is something that Pimax could add to their existing FFR. Basically, I think that they’d need more choices (beyond Conservative, Balanced, and Aggressive) and tweak their existing code.

It would be awesome if Pimax could do that. It would really help Elite D, which suffers badly from aliasing.

@Sean.Huang, please have someone investigate this (at an appropriate time), for future FFR improvements. Thanks!

4 Likes

Well, my money has been on their FFR being a basic invocation of the VRS Helper API all along. :7

3 Likes

Adatptive should be better

The new driver also has per-game max framerate setting, so you can set your target framerate below refresh rate, set a PiTool/SteamVR supersampling that reach that target for sure, and VRSS will use any free headroom to make MSAA area as large as possible

You need to set MSAA in game before, VRSS is operating on top of MSAA

Reference: The VRSS Review – Does Variable Rate Supersampling Deliver Better IQ & Performance for VR Gamers? – BabelTechReviews

1 Like

Absolutely! My suggestion was a way to make the feature readily detectable, not as a setting for normal use.

I think the most interesting preset (as described in the link by drowhunter) is a “Balanced” mode where the central area is 4x SS, the intermediate area is 1x1 (1.0 SS), and the outer area is 2x2 “coarse shading” (0.5 SS). That would provide a noticeable visual quality improvement to the central area, with a faster framerate than if the entire image was rendered normally (1.0 SS). That would be especially useful for Elite D, which suffers from aliasing artifacts.

3 Likes

Unfortunately some other article appeared to be singling out the feature only being applicable to forward renderers, which would presumably rule out Elite.

…on the other hand: I seem to recall you have mentioned FFR having an effect on the game for you, albeit a somewhat erratic one?

1 Like

I don’t think forward rendering is required. From what I’ve read this appears to be a form of supersampling (of tiny little tiles). FFR fine works in Elite D. There’s an issue with excessive shimmering around the edges of the screen, which mostly affects orbit lines. The 2 most recent versions of PiTool have reduced the shimmering area somewhat (at least for Conservative mode).

I’ve actually been using FFR lately, which really improves the framerate. Once I have a 3080Ti (or whatever), I would like to use the High (4xSS,2xSS,1x) or Highest Quality (8xSS, 4xSS, 2xSS) shading preset to drastically reduce the aliasing in ED.

That’s promising, to hear. :slight_smile:

(EDIT: Maybe it could be worth having a bit of a vignette applied specifically to the orbit lines layer, fading them out in the low resolution periphery… Or having the driver (optionally!) progressively blur/TAA/“intelligently”-reconstruct the entire far periphery somewhat, to dampen the pixels that blink on and off…)

2 Likes

Sure, blending would help. Or you could turn off orbit lines, but I think High Quality (4x,2x,1x) would suffice. The next generation of xx80 GPUs will probably be able to do that at a reasonable framerate.

1 Like

From what I read the original VRS only affects the pixel shaders and in one way only (degrading).

The new VRSS should affect the render path right from the start, i.e. including the geometry. Whether it improves the textures in the game however is another question, answer of which may depend on the game itself (@MReis).

1 Like

yes, it is

“can be applied to DX11 VR games or application that have forward renderers and support MSAA”

2 Likes

That’s unfortunate. Thanks for the info.

2 Likes

Let’s hope so - there always seem to be an endless supply of bottomless holes one futilely want to fill up with GPU cycles. :7

2 Likes

If you already use a SS, how will it work with VRSS? Does VRSS override SS? Do both supersamplings add to each other?

1 Like

MSAA is not SSAA (those we call Supersampling in VR), even it’s similar

So to get benefit from VRSS, I guess, you need to lower SS (SteamVR SS), rise in game MSAA, and activate VRSS, in order to get the same visual quality with higher framerate, or better visual quality at the same framerate

1 Like

yeah me too, i tried the talos principle and i didnt notice any visual difference.

1 Like

oh so you’re saying detecting it visually might not be as blatantly obvious as pimaxes FFR. where you van literally see circular steps of quality reduction.

1 Like

my concern is that pitool is hacking with the render pipeline already and nvidias approach might not be working with Pinax at all.

I think i will try with my og rift on lone echo to see if I can spot a difference.

2 Likes

If you are interested to try it with other games, you can enable the option for a particular game with Nvidia Profile Inspector -> Show unknown settings from NVIDIA predefined profiles -> 0x00D5E9C6 set to 0x00000001.
The 0x00D5E9C7 is for the value (0x00000001: always, 0x00000002: adaptive).
(the game need to support MSAA)

4 Likes

If You’d rather see a YouTube video about what it is and how to enable it, @Tyrielwood has created one:

List of Games supported for now:

Battlewake
Boneworks
Eternity Warriors VR
Hot Dogs, Horseshoes and Hand Grenades
In Death
Job Simulator
Killing Floor: Incursion
L.A. Noire: The VR Case Files
Lone Echo
Mercenary 2: Silicon Rising
Pavlov VR
Raw Data
Rec Room
Rick and Morty: Virtual Rick-ality
Robo Recall
Sairento VR
Serious Sam VR: The Last Hope
Skeet: VR Target Shooting
Space Pirate Trainer
Special Force VR: Infinity War
Spiderman: Far from Home
Spiderman: Homecoming – Virtual Reality Experience
Talos Principle VR
The Soulkeeper VR

4 Likes

so… i dont think vrss is doing anything for us right now. I see no diff. however @sweviver said sonething very interesting on mrtv today.

Link to video
Basically he said that Pimax will release a new driver so that we can use VRSS. At least thats what I heard.

I may have misunderstood him though correct me if im wrong.

4 Likes