New nVidia drivers (441.87 - WHQL) are available with new Variable Rate Super Sampling feature

nVidia has added a new VR-related feature. I’m installing these now and will post my findings later. Here’s what nVidia has to say…

Variable Rate Super Sampling
We introduced a new VRSS feature…
Variable Rate Super Sampling (VRSS) is a new technique to improve image quality in VR games which uses NVIDIA Variable Rate Shading (VRS) to dynamically apply up to 8x super sampling to the center of the VR display when GPU headroom is available. In doing so, VRSS can improve image quality at the focal point of the eye while always maintaining the 90 FPS needed to deliver a smooth VR experience.

14 Likes

Boneworks requires Parallel Projection, as it’s not compatible to Pimax (object culling/rendering mask not high enough). It uses Unity Engine btw.

I wonder how this new feature works with PP though.

1 Like

Good question. I’m still trying to determine how to enable the new VRSS feature. There’s no obvious setting.

3 Likes

Restart, then in the Control Panel

1 Like

I’ve already done that. It appears to be something we need to enable on a per-game basis…
https://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4957/kw/Variable%20Rate%20Supersampling

More info on the new driver features…

Currently, only 24 games are supported… Boneworks and Lone Echo are in the list:

More info on variable rate shading (in general)…

1 Like

It seems to be on off per Default

2 Likes

I wonder how we know if its working

1 Like

I’m getting ready to try it in boneworks right now with an Index. I just sold my 5k+ and should be receiving the 8k+ within the next week or so. Then the 8kx whenever!:crazy_face:

5 Likes

Good question. The center of your view should look really good. Perhaps comparing screenshots with it enabled/disabled would illustrate the improvement. I can’t actually test this, since I don’t own any of the supported games.

2 Likes

I noticed in the setting that you can “force” it to Always On.

I also wonder if having it on at the same time as Pimaxes FFR would cause headsets to explode.

3 Likes

According to nVidia’s description, I think this is an improved version of the existing Variable Rate Shading feature, so it should be a compatible extension. It might even be possible that Pimax could update their FFR to use the updated feature (which would enable it in all FFR-supported games). I’d love to see this implemented for Elite D.

3 Likes

Just noticed this part of the nvidia aricle on VRSS as it pertains to eye tracking.

seems like Pimax should be doing whatever it takes to integrate with this.

4 Likes

Provided you have an RTX card. But let’s be realistic most of us do.

I like AMD but you gotta admit, as Pimax owners we took the pledge to the cutting edge and nvidia is the only company that seems to be right there with us.

Elite D is so frustrating. Its the premiere VR experience for all of us and was one of the first to have full VR support and yet it seems like VR is not a priority anymore for them.

5 Likes

maybe try with FPS vr and see if theres a difference

1 Like

I tried it yesterday after the post but was not sure if it was working or better how. In bone works I tried to get just as near to the text on the left of the 3 panels in the game menu room. I thought if I then do the same with vrss the distance would be larger from where I can still see the text.
But I wasn’t sure there was visual improvement- but it was late and done fast …

2 Likes

To do that test, you’d need to set it to ON, not Adaptive (which attempts to keep the framerate at your refresh rate).

True, but I still really enjoy it on my 8K.

2 Likes

Depending on the implementation, it might only affect polygon edges, not textures (or vice-versa or both (best case)).

1 Like

Thought about that also - but I was tired and thoughts ran slow ;-).
I will need to try just that again in game, in the video on the site they show a house front with multiple floors - I did not watch it but it looks like it was more about the edges of the geometry .

1 Like

I’m reading the article that drowhunter linked. It looks like VRS is based on super-sampling, so it should affect both edges and textures.

2 Likes

Yeah I just tried it in boneworks, it’s hard to say if I notice a difference or not. I think it will take a longer play session. Maybe we will get a bigger performance bump rather than visual bump with this. “8kx 90htz. Native”!!

4 Likes