New 8KX version 2076, won't detect Lighthouses to track

I just received a new 2076 version 8kx as a replacement for my 2075 that wouldn’t do 90hz with my EVGA 3080.

The first time I plugged it in and ran PiTool, it seemed like it was going to work and I was able to run one VR game, but I didn’t have sound and didn’t think to check the manual volume controls on the top of the HMD. I also re-paired my Index controllers.

I rebooted to be safe, and when running PiTool afterword it would never detect the Lighthouses. One would light up and another would just sit there and blink. I tried deleting the lighthouse directory in the Programdata directory, but that didn’t help. I also completely uninstalled all Pimax software and reinstalled, trying both the Pimax Store and the current PiTool from their website, but same behavior.

Also, strangely, if I don’t have the Index controllers on, it doesn’t even start to detect the Lighthouse stations.

Anyone run into this issue before and find a resolution? I still have a ticket opened with Pimax Support, but wanted to check here as well. Everything was working perfectly fine other than the 90hz flicker issue with my 2075 HMD, and I feel like it should work as it did the very first time I plugged in.

These are the Lighthouse 2.0 base stations btw.

Refer to this thread

Hello :
You may first try to tips provided from the community.
If it doesn’t resolve the issue, we suggest you to log a ticket at our helpdesk.
Our technician is ready to provide assistance to you.

Sincerely Esther.

Yes, there are others of us having similar problems.
Haven’t come across a working solution, yet. My last hope is that reflashing the firmware will wake up that chip but haven’t had time to test this yet.

2 Likes

try changing the usb ports the 8kx is plugged into.

1 Like

So, I was able to get mine working yesterday. Here is what I did you want to try. I suspect because the 2076 model is running different internal hardware than the 2075, there were some lingering settings files that don’t get uninstalled when you uninstall PiTool.

1. Uninstalled all Pimax software from Add/Remove Programs in Windows 10
  2. Went to the Pimax ProgramData directory and deleted it completely. This means you have to set up from scratch, but should also wipe out any lingering settings and configuration files
  3. Installed PiTool 277, the official current download from the Pimax website
  4. Plugged in the USB 2.0 port first
  5. Plugged in the USB 3.0 port after hearing the Windows sound when it detected the USB 2.0
  6. Plugged in the Displayport
  7. Ran PiTool. It proceeded to act like it was a fresh setup. I cancelled out and checked that the headset detected the Lighthouse base stations. It did
  8. Ran the controller pairing for my Index controllers

So far everything seems to be working now without issue, and I no longer have flickering at 90hz. Note that you do have to set your sound in Windows to “7.1” or you won’t hear anything on the 2076 DMAS headset. I hope they fix this in a future firmware since it’s dumb and annoying, and isn’t documented anywhere.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.