New 8k+ owner - I'm a bit disappointed

I hear lots of people talking about 254a version of Pitool but can’t seem to download it from anywhere. Is it still available anyone know?

Try google, 1st hit gives this:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/alpha-pitool-1-0-1-254a-jan-21-2020/25366

1 Like

Thanks for that - now idea what I did before as clearly I did try google!!

2 Likes

So I’ve tried the new 261 PiTool and I have to say that things have improved quite a bit.

I still have issues with SteamVR actually opening, necessitating a PC reset, but performance has definitely improved to the point where I can now run in small (instead of potato) with smooth framerate (72Hz).

However, using the headset last night and whilst putting on my head, the left hand bracket that retains the headstrap broke…not a good sign for quality control and/or durability. I should point out that I have barely used this headset so it’s had very light use.

3 Likes

Received my 8K+ on Sunday and compared to my HP Reverb running Assetto Corsa and iRacing the resolution I’m seeing is half of the reverb and using more GPU resources.

Does the Alpha improve it because I’m frustrated with it, haven’t been able to get a single race in since.

Running on a
3900x
32 GB @ 3333
Asus 2080Ti @ 2130

I currently have the HP Reverb running crystal and monitor like and wanted the same with the 8k but still haven’t found an acceptable resolution yet.

Will try removing the foam, using the Alpha and set resolution different and upscale until I max GPU resources. I run very little detail in games and just up the car and track details. Same on game graphical settings as the Reverb however still.a no go with clarity.

No other issues and yes have tried everything else and been into Configs etc…

Assetto Corsa doesn’t need parallel projection, iRacing afaik needs it.
To stay fair, try to compare same vertical pixel resolution between headsets. 100% steamvrss pimax is 3160 vertical pixels with my 8kx, Reverb certainly much less.
Run in small (iracing) and normal (ac) imho large is just a blurry mess added to the outer peripheral.
Download 262 pitools from the pitools sub forum and activate gpu scheduling in newest win10 update (2004). Run newest nvidia driver.

Iracing will be less sharp and less performant because of pp needed. Use fpsvr or steamvr integrated diagnostics to see frametimes.

8k+ is unfortunately quite blurry. 8kX crosses a threshold. I did run my 8kX in compatibility- (8k+) mode and was not pleased…

1 Like

I don’t have pp on in iracing and it runs fine.

I seriously doubt the 8k+ is going to give you the same clarity in AC as your Reverb. You’ll get a wide fov for less clarity. That’s the trade off.

2 Likes

@Rudi iracing doesn’t need PP, run it normal or large FOV and make sure you enable sharpening in game at around 150. As Muu said use pitool 262 for huge performance gains. Also sounds like you need to change the maxresolution setting in your steamvr config file.

2 Likes

8k+ is blurry, that’s not what I wanted to hear. FFS.

I was hoping for a lot more with this unit than I have with my current HPReverb.
Any current HPreverb owners been able to get the same clarity? Is it worth to go into the whole trouble and still not get the same results?

Done the max res in config but will try the 262 pitool instead.

I am not looking forward to getting shafted by FedEx, paying them for nothing leaves you feeling plain angry.

Also been able to set SS on my HPReverb at around 280% with full in game details.

Set Pitool to 1.5
Config to max res to 40096
Normal FOV
90Hz
Set GPU HP to 2000

As I up the SS on steam for my Pimax I can see the GPU resources max out and when I lower it it goes down as well so I know the SS is working fine.

I’m hoping the 262 patch will significantly improve it.

Damn, not what I wanted to hear, should I have gone 8KX?

If you’re experiencing 50% less resolution on 8K+ Vs G2, then your 8K+ either isn’t optimised yet by having to methodically fiddle around in Steam VR with settings discussed on the forum, or you have a defective headset.

By looking at the specs, a G2 cannot be 50% higher resolution than an 8K.

8K-X: 3840 x 2160 per eye.
8K+: 2560×1440 per eye upscale to 3840 x 2160.
G2: 2160 x 2160 per eye.
Index: 1600 x 1400 per eye.

Sorry the clarity I’m getting is half, the resolution in game is set fine and I know it’s increasing as I see better results as I increase the SS but it’s just not acceptable. I see the numbers go up and the relative GPU resources go up and down etc.

Just read https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-262-excellent-performance/29755?u=rudi so will hope that works and improves frames and clarity.

Yes. The 8k+ Image is always upscaled. 8kx is native.

Nothing you do will make it clear like the reverb. Blu Ray vs DVD.

Have you set your maxRecommendedResolution, by manually editing your steamvr.vrsettings file? If not, you’re not running at the full resolution of your 8K+. SteamVR has a stupidly small default for high FOV headsets. Note that SteamVR will “lie” about your resolution, that is, it shows the value before the limit is applied.

Are you using Normal FOV? If you’re using Large FOV, I recommend changing to Normal.

1 Like

Yup. And Normal.

It definitely increases the resolution in Steam VR per app as the utilisation I see in afterburner.

Thanks. Will try 262 patch tonight.

2 Likes

When you install 262 make sure you deleted all those folders check https://community.openmr.ai/t/how-to-make-your-pimax-image-crisp/29688 for list of folders.

Otherwise pitool may malfunction & you may miss performance boost.

Also try to adjust other values in config as proposed in guide, I guess it will have minor effect as you already figured out the problem with maxres

Also try to play with your nvidia 3d panel settings, try to adjust aliasing (disable it, change values if you see jagged borders etc)

Try to increase your Pitool render quality to 1.5 & lower steam SS to 0.5-0.75 some ppl stated it can help a bit with performance & for others it looked better.

Also make sure you restart steam vr after changing some crucial settings like render quality, fov etc

Also I guess it’s not very helpful but here is another users TTL video of 8k+ shot with 4k mobile camera https://community.openmr.ai/t/i-made-a-video-out-of-pure-joy/29800

3 Likes