New 8k+ owner - I'm a bit disappointed

Yesterday I tried 254 on my 5k+ & it works like monster I had 98% of GPU utilisation on my 1080ti without stuttering & experience was smooth on 90Hz large FOV with all possible antialiasings (in nvidia panel) with PiTool 1RQ & 1.5-1.8 SteamVR SS,

But I needed to downgrade my HDM firmware, please note that if you install pitool the correct FW is then can be found in PiTool dfuDriver folder in programs files, check Sweviver video how to use DFU uploaded if you want to try.

3 Likes

Yes, absolutely, a universal metric! (just kidding, I’m not really that arrogant :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: )

Anyway, although I also prioritize the optical quality that comes with a headset designed for wide FOV, I am not really happy at the idea of dropping the FOV. The blinders effect does get very tiresome after all, and the headset is capable of wide FOV, so single-GPU VR support shouldn’t be what stops me.

Thus, all the spreadsheets to get that full resolution and FOV…

Okay so I tried that 254 alpha and yes, it actually runs faster to the point where I could have PiTool at 2.0 to get the best detail and still comfortably hit the 72 frame rate. The tracking was worse however, so I’ve mounted one lighthouse high and that has helped a lot, but still not as good as the Rift which is pretty rock solid.

I was able to run Alyx with PiTool set to 2.0 and Small FOV - with the glasses on I can’t really see anything wider. Then the difference was more obvious. There is more detail than the Rift S, but still not what I’d expect with the spec sheet of the 8k+. Maybe I’m expecting too much I don’t know, maybe I should get an 8KX instead?

Just checking: Have you set your “maxRecommendedResolution” in SteamVR? If not, the headset images will be blurry.

Render Quality 2.0 is rather high. Set to 1.25. SteamVR video resolution is also very important, even with Alyx doing autoscaling. Set that to something close to 2160 vertical pixels. Personally I wouldn’t use Small FOV just to get better performance, but that’s just my choice.

As neal_white_iii correctly points out, there are some SteamVR hacks that may be needed to enable full resolution. Now that you have it working reasonably, you may also want to disable Alyx autoscaling, and buy FPSVR to tune it correctly. For Alyx, may also benefit from turning Smart Smoothing off, as this helps when the framerate is at or near full refresh rate (72Hz).

One of your lighthouses is having problems. Counterintuitively, the lighthouses do not need to ‘see’ more than just the very edge of the headset, but both need to be somewhat far away. My experiments show the best setup is to mount both at opposite corners of a high ceiling, with the user facing one of the walls (not directly facing the lighthouse but at an angle). There seems to be some weirdness about such things as two lighthouses mounted on the same wall. Maybe they need to be further apart. Or maybe mine was degrading at the time - I did have to send it in for RMA.

The 8k+ should definitely be far better than the Oculus CV1, and though I do not have a Rift S, the 8k+ should be similar to that in visual quality. Definitely, the 8kX is the next huge bump up in resoulution, so if you can, you really should go for that instead. In Alyx, edges and textures on things like vegetation, furniture, etc, will be super sharp, in VirtualDesktop or DCS World, everything will be more readable.

3 Likes

Hi Neal, yes as stated above I set MaxRecommendedRes to 8192.

Due to PiTool being set to 2.0 SteamVR resolution is set at minimum, 30% I think it is to get it close to 2160 vertical. As I said, with my glasses on the extra FOV is wasted so I set it to small for Alyx for practical reasons.

1 Like

Ah, that makes sense. Very unfortunate though that you miss out on so much of the wide FOV. Consider at least getting wide lenses made specifically for VR. Some people here on the forums have identified these, 3D printable mounts for them. IIRC, the eyetracker module is also supposed to support eyeglass lenses.

Regarding visual quality, you might try bumping up SteamVR resolution to 2880v, and disabling Alyx autoscaling. TotalSR of 2.0 is the point of diminishing returns for the 8k+. However, your GPU may not be able to keep up, and the 8kX is far superior at lower rendered resolutions (because real pixels do much more for readability/sharpness than virtual pixels… less supersampling needed). If you want that extra bump in optical clarity, the 8kX is what you want…

(and really, why did you get the 8k+?)

2 Likes

I do have to admit @neelrocker, I have a CPU 9900k at 5Ghz and an custom OC’ed 2080TI - and I feel under powered for the 8K and even the 5k, so while I loved my 980TI - its time has come (ok its rendering FHD Flat games for my son now :wink: ).

I would guess besides needing games that actually take advantage of modern hardware architecture, I hope that the next gen 3090TI and the DFR will bring me to the place where I can get 72 - 90hz in most games. And most likely that is needed while also being the current edge of hardware and most likely not much more will come by brute force architecture scaling.

I believe with out that, its like watching a VHS Tape on an 8K TV.

As always, I really wonder what the games could perform, if they truly would take advantage of the hardware, modern concepts and special API’s like NVidia has.

3 Likes

Yeah. Need a lot of juice to run well and the Pimax headsets open up the more you can throw at it.

I wear glasses, I even wear a very small pair in my headset, and can happily use large or normal FOV. The periphery is blurry even for someone with perfect vision anyway. Thus DFR and FFR being things. It’s just the sense that something is there like normal that helps the immersion. Or for me anyway.

3 Likes

And it’s likely this is one of the main reasons why the other consumer VR headset manufacturers haven’t yet released truly high-res headsets (wide FOV or otherwise).

2 Likes

For sure, we are at the top in need of performance. I hope Nvidia and ATI take that to drive the next Gen GPUs like 4k or 8k did/those.

1 Like

Hello, this is about a consumer problem with the 8k plus. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Sorry you are right,
but derailing came from that. You need hardware powerfully enough to benefit from the device - but the rest helped little.
But a 980 just isn’t up to date anymore especially since some architecture changes help VR a little to go along better in the RTX series (foveated rendering as on example)

2 Likes

I thought I pick up all we said and in terms of seeing how we can help @telly-addict :

1st– Sorry to hear, that is not optimal, I hope that PiMax starts the distribution with amazon globally, makes live for customers easier – but that is just international logistics – not much we can do about that and in that case FedEx. The Distribution could be clearer in the shop about expected taxes, local wahre houses (HobbyKing.com as an example offers to filter based on there Warehouses) and so on – in general a Pimax to do! @PimaxQuorra → maybe some thoughts to improve the future experience for customers.

2nd– Actually PiTool has unexpectantly never failed me – not like updating with WMR. Could be pointing out some USB Issues, Virus Software, or the like making trouble?

3rd– This is a bit tiresome for sure and might be better with the DMAS/SMAS.
I did put a 6mm Foam from the Vive on my 8k+ since the comfort kit was to far away for my physiognomy to get a good picture. You really need to tweak a bit to get the best sweet spot. As suggested, just take of the comfort kit foam, its just Velcro and check if it seems better, if so, you might want to either get a PiMax foam in the near future of a compatible one asap. IPD seems for me I need to dial in lower than with the 5k+. As also suggested try using the software IPD. I used the SteamVR Home ROV Test Room. One possibility looks the RGB Crosses and tune until they are sharp and not doubled from like 2m distance. If set correctly, which can be a pain in the A??, the image is good, and I can play for 3 hours or more without a problem.

4th I unfortunately have no experience in war thunder. But Tuning the games to get to a good image is a bit of work, especially if they are not designed for canted displays or large FOV. I would use Normal FOV to start, try FFR conservative since I read you have a 2080TI. Use PiTool Render quality at 1.0 to start. Does it need PP? Can you opt in for Smart Smoothing? Hidden Area Mask possible? Might help making a chart and check the configs and resulting FPS and perceived sharpness.
In Steam most of the time I dial in a fixed value. I do use 100% often, but sometimes steam updates cause me to recheck the values there and tune them again. Trying to get native resolution to the panels (not below the 3840*2160) might help or if possible, SS of course. I use the 90hz option as a starting point. If you can Smart Smooth and get like 60 FPS, then you can try 110hz, if below 45 try the 75hz. none smart smothing might be better in sharpness if moving fast (especially in DCS looking to your wing at high speeds shows the bad of smart smoothing). Also, the SteamVR Config hack at 16384 maxRecomendedReslolution) should be used. I often change resoltuions in game to see the side effects - like when standing on an Air Field and seening stuff in the distance that is static, so to get comparable results. Normally the Resolution can be changed on the fly.

5th How are your basestations positioned – better to keep them further away and high up if feasible. To close wont work nicely. Stutters could also be caused by performance issues and I also get them when I sue the GPU Catalyst ( I keep it at 0 in 90% of the cases).

6th issue – That is strange, it works 80% of the time for me (especially resolution settings). What happens sometimes is, that I see the canted displays areas rendered or just black after a hard Hz switch while in SteamVR. So in some cases I have to either just stop steam VR and restart it and very seldomly I do a HMD restart in PiTool if that did not help – but I never need to reboot the PC.

EDIT: I notice in the store of the Pimax 8k+ there is a review that talks about war thunder and that it is quite good - I have no clue if the Person (Marius T) is on the Forum, if so maybe he can share his experience and how it achieved it. ( https://pimaxvr.com/a/review/twittercard?reviewId=25068704 )

4 Likes

I know steamvr use to have a bug that if you set it to the lowest percentage your FPS would take a large hit. Maybe try pitool 1.0 and increase steamvr resolution

3 Likes

You have an issue in your configuration: you should run DDR4 of your 2700x at 2933 mhz

https://premiumbuilds.com/guides/best-ram-for-ryzen-7-2700x/

1 Like

I think that and game incompatibility. Can’t expect devs to go back and update old code to adjust for high fov, and who wants to market a headset that doesn’t work well with every game in an already limited space?

Obviously we think it’s worth it, but I can get why nobody else is doing it. Tbh, I was shocked valve did what they did even if it is orders of magnitude less than pimax

1 Like

He’s running 3000mhz, the article you’ve posted says 3200mhz is the sweetspot, but you are telling him to run 2933?

2 Likes

He has DDR4 3000 hz and he is running at 1500hz, i don’t know why

From the article

“The second generation of Ryzen processors officially supports up to 2933MHz, so that is the speed that you are pretty much guaranteed to achieve, everything after that is overclocking territory for these CPUs, but most of the time up to 3200MHz should work just fine for most people.”

Its DDR, double data rate, memory tools report 1500 which means its running at 3000mhz

4 Likes