My first try to ever put on an 8KX, and…

Thanks for your feedback.
You might be suprised by the weight yes because not used to but it should not be a issue.
How did you find the view? How was whats inside of the headset?

And welcome to the forum :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

4 Likes

It is a great solution. Many of us have added counter-weights at the back of our Pimaxs for balance. Mine is a pill canister filled with 7 ounces of metals nuts and small screws, I placed it in a small felt bag and attached with small Velcro straps. Really helps balance the headset.

Welcome to the forum :smiley:

2 Likes

I also used a counter weight attached to the vive DAS with my 8k and that worked pretty well. After trying it on my new 8kX it did not have the same redistribution of weight advantage due to the new design. It really doesn’t work with the 8kX. One thing i did do that seemed to help was i changed the top strap from being secured to the main housing body altered it now to attach to the front to the plastic cowling by cutting a narrow slit for the strap to feed through. Can now adjusted more firmly and the velcro seems to be better suited now for attaching in that area of the strap.

7 Likes

That’s an interesting change. Why did you feel you needed that adjustment?

1 Like

That’s a great photo, hammerhead. It looks professional. And may I say, I also like your earrings, quite a nice choice. I don’t mean to sound weird. I’ll go now.

5 Likes

What led me to try that adjustment was one of necessity. I found that after a few weeks of using my Pimax 8kX the velcro would no longer hold, maybe my head is just to big, no really i think normal not small, and it would repeatedtly come loose. So thinking of ways to improve that situation had an unexpected bonus.

1 Like

Honeypot move by Pimax haha cool :joy: :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks for the response. I don’t have my HMD yet, but I was wondering whether your alteration is something I should try. Was there any benefit besides being more firmly attached to your face and no longer coming loose? Before your adjustment, did you have a problem with the headset changing its position?

1 Like

Wouldn’t putting that kind of tension on the face cowling eventually cause the cowling to get ripped off and the headset falling to the ground?

1 Like

Yeah, I kind of had the same impression. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

As any of my mods or hacks if you will perform at your own risk i always now try to advise. These are usually just temporary fixes i try to make when i discover a problem i don’t enjoy living with. There have been no long term tests on any and i have only had my 8kX for a relatively short time. As of today i have not had any issue only benefit. Hope you and others soon receive your 8kX’s certainly will make the forum more lively and interesting.
One advantage is as you can see the position of attachement is higher than the original and i believe this helps lift the housing easier.

2 Likes

Thanks again, great to know. :thinking: If I have problems lifting the housing, I’ll have your solution to work with. Thanks for the input. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Yes , dmel642 that is a possibility i have considered. I can only say i have been using my 8kX this way for a couple weeks now with no such problem. Now, there is also the possiblility if the cut is not made correctly and in the right location a person could have the strap pull through the flexible although i found very durable cowling material. So i would only recomend any such mod if it is a necessity or you are confident to do so. It is one of my hobbies and i maybe not like someothers do not mind breaking things to improve them.

2 Likes

how could I didn’t use it? For sure I do, maybe it’s face shape as everybody says about top strap, but it doesn’t diminish front heavy problem & even if cheeks get a bit better the problem stays & you start to feel fatigue in forehead or other face, top head parts, counter weight makes it a lot of easier, but you guys probably didn’t wear normally balanced HMD with good comfort, or something is wrong with my face shape.

CV1 was comfy, rift S also nice in terms of comfort, Vive Pro really good (but nasty fogging & nose light blocker annoy a lot, but it’s solvable points). Stock PSVR, O+, Quest really bad, same for Pimaxes (without DAS) & og vive (but vive much better in stock variant than Pimax).

Pimax with Vive DAS & properly done counterweight + good face foam is one of the most comfort HMDs for me but not the lightest without strap it’s about 550, so with strap I guess it’s 700+, while CV1 was about 480 dont remeber exactly (but it’s not surprise due to panel & case sizes) but it still comfort.

4 Likes

Comfort depends entirely on what kidn of VR games you are playing, anything with a lot of user motion, more specifically head rotation is going to make any headset of ~400g uncomfortable after a while. Centrifugal force is pretty bad on headsets which lack clamping pressure, I think the cowl as implemented by Pimax helps in that regard as you can tighten the ratchet more without the pressure being uncomfortable.

3 Likes

that’s not my experience, I played a lot in Echo Vr it’s the most active game I ever played apart of Thrill of the Fight.

So on CV1 my record was 12hrs with short bio breaks & eating. It drains a lot of energy. So totaty ok with comfort. The only problem was constant fogging on cv1.

Now I play on quest as this games consumes HMD wires really fast, on CV1 my longest wire lasted 12month the shortest was 3 month, I replaced about 7 wires until they discontinued it.

On quest with frankenquest mod + counter weight battery (HTC QC3.0 lasts about 7hrs) I played about 8 hours with battery swap. So no problem here & it’s much heavier than cv1.

Most problem in comfort due to weight distribution, too loose HMD / head bonding + wrong geometry which causes pressure in some places more than in another & poor quality foams.

Most of those problems are solvable with mods, but if weight is beyond 850g with all modes & counter weight it becomes a problem indeed.

4 Likes

is that you in the pic or a mannequin?

Imagine Elon Musk directly welcomed you to the forums upon buying a Tesla.

1 Like

lol… im sure that looks pretty. Im sure you could do better.

I just noticed you work for Pimax?

2 Likes