My first try to ever put on an 8KX, and…

I didn’t actually experienced the VR world with it, I only tried to put it on and see how it feels like. It seems a little heavy for me(maybe I have a small head :rofl:) because I am not used to wear it yet, this is my very first time to ever wear a VR headset. How do you handle it, by the way?

21 Likes

Congrats! The first time I tried VR many years ago it blew my mind.

For best comfort with a smaller head you might tighten the back knob a bit to put more force on the pad in the back of your head.

When calibrating the visuals it’s important to get the right IPD setting and the correct position of the headset on your head.

Once you get it set 100% you will have an experience you will always remember!

11 Likes

It’s not just the weight; the headset is front-heavy. Try attaching a counterweight to the back. Yes, it will weigh more, but it won’t strain your neck muscles nearly as much.

For my 8K, I taped a couple of small steel wrenches together and used double sided velcro to attach it to the back of the standard cloth strap. I used about 312g / 11.1 oz (that’s half the weight of the headset w/o the cable) and for the velcro, I used the loop which secured the Pimax cable for shipping.

This was a quick and dirty “temporary” solution, which has worked so well, I’ve been using it for a year and a half.

10 Likes

A lot of VR headsets are heavy including the Valve Index. But the Pimax 8KX is even heavier than the Index.

2 Likes

Wow, thanks,that sounds very helpful! Let me try it again! :star_struck:

3 Likes

Oh, thank you for informing me that. :wink:Have you tried both the 8KX and the Index ?

1 Like

No, I don’t have my 8KX yet. MRTV did a video comparing the weight of different headsets and that’s how I know 8KX will be heavier.

2 Likes

This idea is brilliant! You are a genius!

5 Likes

I see. So you are still waiting for your 8KX?

2 Likes

Yes. I pre-ordered my 8KX on November 28th but because I changed it to 8K+ on Dec 23rd and then back to 8KX on Jan 14th, I’m told my order priority has been moved to Jan 14th.

3 Likes

:cry:I am really sorry to hear that. Right now we are still at the stage of shipping it to backers(just checked with my colleague, by today done around 2/3), so I think you might still have to wait for a period of time…sorry…

4 Likes

I really hope we don’t have to do a DIY counterweight again this time, I thought the MAS was suitably balanced to avoid that. Perhaps not. I think my head is on the small side :grimacing:

@PimaxUSA I guess most people are OK with the MAS as it is, based on your feedback, but would be great if Pimax considered an official counterweight solution for those who need to rebalance it. I hope it could be clipped securely to the back of the MAS somehow. I don’t really want to reuse the bag of batteries from my 5k+ on the 8KX :slight_smile:

4 Likes

you could use the batteries for a cooling fan. :grinning:

2 Likes

Hehe sure, if the fan doesn’t affect the balance :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

A vtol effect. You must add also some batteries in the front, ithink :joy:

3 Likes

I think extra weight was added to the headset at the last minute which may have altered the balance point of the MAS.

4 Likes

Welcome to the forum. :0)

1 Like

Index weights a ton, don’t remember well but it’s around 800+ gramms.
& the point is that it’s not balanced at all, for me personnally it produces cheeks pressure the same level as stock quest although foams are comfy. And I need to add extra counter weight which is much more heavier than I do for Quest so with counter weight Index weights 1kg+. E.g I ride a bike & helmet weights around 1.5kg, but index feels heavier.

If HMD weights about 500-600 grams then does SMAS weights 300-500 gramms? Is X so heavier than Index?

1 Like

hmm did you try using the top strap aswell ? In the picture you posted it looks like the MAS was missing the top strap

4 Likes

Yep, this would be an important thing to do :relaxed: