My experience artisan

Hi, I am the owner of a artisan, and I would like to discuss its problems, if I created a topic in the wrong place, please bring my topic.

my serial number is 203
my pitool PiToolSetup_1.0.1.249_R255 updated to version PiToolSetup_1.0.1.253
helmet firmware: HMD v2.1.255.258
my computer is rtx2070, ryzen 5 3600

I am satisfied with this good device, and it is done quite qualitatively, but I am very disappointed with the work of pitool 1) in version 249 a beautiful picture appeared (all settings are by default) and moderate performance, but there were problems with displays (and the gyroscope may have worked poorly) image distortion.
I updated my Pitool to version 253, and some of the problems were resolved, but new ones appeared: 1) the screen frequency modes switch very poorly, the helmet freezes or starts to work after several restarts.
2) the screen mode with a frequency of 90 Hz does not work correctly, the image is very dark (the color setting does not work), and I see how the screens flicker, it is definitely not 90 Hz.
3) low image quality and low performance, I can’t get intermediate FPS values ​​of only 60 or 120 in 120 Hz mode (as well as in other modes, for example, 40-70 in 72 Hz mode).
4) the color of the light bar is saved only in the program, but the helmet by default lights up in blue after a restart.

6 Likes

You purchased an Artisan?

1 Like

hah of course! I bought it on aliexpress on January 13th and received 25 in Russia.

2 Likes

Was curious as up until your post usually a 203 serial identified as a 5k+ model.

2 Likes

5 Likes

my friend and I got the 203 series

3 Likes

Not doubting you. But this does add a curiousity as we were starting to know the first numbers of serial usually represented certain models.

Ie

• 200 8k
  • 202, 203 & 204 are usually 5k+
  • 206 has been spotted as 8k+
2 Likes

Mine is on its way, got delayed :sob::face_with_symbols_over_mouth: but is flying now

5 Likes

ok, as for me it’s no different, by the way 5k + and artisan didn’t fit my friend and he complained that he sees distortions on the lenses around the edge, here’s a picture from him, I think you’ll guess what he meant by the average distortion of his IPD 70.
I do not see distortions just a little bit of the edge of the left and right edge.

3 Likes

did you buy on kickstarter? it is very bad that such a long delivery for you

Hmm again that distortion thing.
It is usually at the externals edges which absolutely never bothered me since it remain in the outer part of my focus vision, only in the peripheral view and to put eyes on it I have to really “force” and might get eyestrain.
This is why I dont understand how many complain about this and wait for Foveated rendering…

But he seems to describe distortion at the center which is different, is the IPD not set too hi? And even with this not sure it does that.

3 Likes

my IPD is 61-62 and I also see only peripheral vision

3 Likes

Artisan is a recent this year release & was not part of the KS.

1 Like

I ordered it early but the shipping got messed up, which can happen but the seller is very concerned about it but with holidays and virus it is just bad luck.

1 Like

FOV normal normal

FOV smal smal

4 Likes

Strictly speaking, according to Dallas (https://community.openmr.ai/t/replied-how-to-check-sku/15475/12), the product is identified by the first 6 digits. This has only been shortened to the first 3 digits by people on the forum who were not aware of the scheme.

3 Likes

@16BIT could you run hmdq tool on it and send me the recorded data file for the geometry database? (Contributing | HMD Geometry Database).

6 Likes

I guess by distortion, you mean it is becoming blurry. This would correspond to the fact that the lenses are canted and when looking sharp to the nose side you are looking through the peripheral ring of the lens which is also canted (in a wrong direction).

3 Likes

Yes, I will try to find the time and pass the test. I will reply you with a personal message when I deal with this.

6 Likes

And/Or due to his ipd much like on the rift s being to close to the end of the physical ipd range.

1 Like