MRTV Subjective FOV Comparison

Dear all,

since I have all the VR headsets that are currently on the market (and a few that aren’t) I thought I should finally do a big FOV comparison, simply measuring them all! Lots of FOV specs provided by the manufacturers are simply wrong. For the measurements I used the ROV TestHMD environment.

Since I do not wanna force you to watch my video, let’s directly do this here:

Oculus Rift S 86°/110° (horizontal/vertical)
Vive Cosmos 82°/112°
HP Reverb G2 98°/114°
HP Reverb G1 94°/106°
HTC Vive Pro 98°/126°
Valve Index Max 108°/130°
Valve Index Min 100°/112°
Odyssey+ 102°/130°
Oculus Quest 92°/116°
Pimax Artisan 128°/124°
Pimax 8KX 140°/124°

For the Valve Index, I have measured it with lenses as close to eyes as possible (MAX) and as far away as possible (MIN). Pimax headsets have been set to their respective maximum FOV setting.
I hope this is useful for you. If you want to support the channel and learn about my take on these values, please watch my video:

Sincerely, Sebastian

25 Likes

Oculus Rift CV1 92° horizontal / 110° diagonal… ? If I remember correctly…

Some of us are upgrading from the OG Rift and Vive - it is always helpful to also compare these ‘old’ headsets, thank you :slight_smile:

1 Like

OMG, you will have such a blast… :wink: CV1 was also really low, but I do not remember the exact measurements.

1 Like

Thanks for this! Hopefully with HDMI 2.1, DP 2.0 we can get high pixel density + fov.

1 Like

Pimax 8kx on large 140 horizontal only ? That’s 20~22 less than in my 5k+. Pretty weird and unexpected…

3 Likes

definitely not a user error…

3 Likes

and what Risa tools says about Pimax 8kx fov ?

Risa’s tool has the X at 160H for large, 140H for normal. I wonder if somehow in Sebs testing his (not final) X ended up on normal?

2 Likes

This: HMD Geometry Database | Collected geometry data from some commercially available VR headsets.

2 Likes

I don’t think the Comfort Kit suits him at all. Maybe a pre model. That would also explain his blurry picture.

or he doesn’t press it in the face! XD

see how the Dot in the other video puts on the Pimax. It cannot sit perfectly.

1 Like

Most of those vertical FOV look too high too, I’m no expert but it feels like something has gone wrong here since some are showing higher than what is actually rendered. Is it possible that tool is not rendering correctly now?

2 Likes

If the video is claiming as a fact, Pimax 8K-X is 140 FOV.

Then Pimax need to reply here with an official response, because that’s not what their website states.

1 Like

Relax, we have some blokes who already have an 8KX. Let them do a measurement of the 8KX and another of the listed headsets to check which values they‘ll come up with.

2 Likes

pimax doesn’t have to do anything because it isn’t true. i have 150+ in normal FOV

2 Likes

With the same RoV tool ?

1 Like

The 140 must be in Normal FoV. @mixedrealityTV with Pimax you should have 4 entries for FoV

• Potato
  • Small
  • normal
  • Large

Your Table is only showing 1 FoV and on the 8kX it must be Normal as Large is 160

12 Likes

Interesting video Sebastian thank you. I thought the pimax 8kx would have been larger.

1 Like

with a protractor XD

I use a VRmust foam :wink:

You should try with more accurate tools. :wink:

I don’t know about potato.

But these are actual figures.

• Small 120H
  • Normal 140H
  • Large 160H

Kevin also has referenced Risa’s Hmdq database.

2 Likes

Just tried ROV TestHMD with my 8kX. Getting pretty much exactly 140° with normal and 160° with large FoV.
For vertical it was a bit more difficult as the upper marker went out of view faster than the lower marker. The upper was at a little above 100°, the lower about 120°.

12 Likes