MRTV Rant: Pimax Communcation Is Terrible Regarding 8K / 5k+

From this leak, you will see that they don’t hide anything (this is the lastest issue which we are talked and pimax is investigating this after sebastian said in video).

On 1.76 driver of sweviver video, I am more confident with 8k and be concern again after this issue is talked. And I think that sebastian is requesting to explain so much about that issue.

That is the reason why pimax should answer some question by themself, not hope only tester or youtuber will reply all question.

Sounds good to me.

But then?

The event in Berlin where the green light was given?

If you had it so clear… Why didn’t you say at the last event that you’re not going to give the green light?

It is not the feeling that was shown in that event…

The NDA is not breached by saying that with the current errors of the Pimax 8k and 5k+ is not ready to be delivered to sponsors.

This was not heard in Berlin or in any of the videos.

It would have been an act of sincerity on the part of the tester even if Pimax didn’t like to say it at the event itself directly to them.

It was the opportunity to do strength and that Pimax really reacts and listens to the tester.

Because the sanction that Pimax gave the green light without really listening.

1 Like

I think “green light” rule is cancel by pimax, not by tester. Although tester don’t give the greenlight. The meetup is an event to approve to all backer that we don’t need green light anymore. If we want the green light from tester, we will get heaset in next 1-2 years. I am sure that we can’t get green light from all tester. So if pimax not cancel this rule, may they have to change to be vote from tester or may be tester+backer. People don’t want to wait more.

Green light is not talked for a long time. If spanish team not give the green light,why 5k+ and 8k is shipped (or they give the green light too?, I don’t think so).

You come in with a list of attacks on the 3 youtubers, your attacks are immediately proved utterly baseless , and your reply is ‘sounds good to me’.

I want you to really think how this attack comes off to other people and reconsider your arguments.

8 Likes

I don’t think it is possible to get the free upgrade to the 8k x. But even if Pimax says that the 8k x is limited that can be changed. It is a future production. Therefore, for me I would see these variants as a nice solution for the 8k backers:

• Stay at 8k and get it.

• Swap to 5k+

• Upgrade to 8k x with the payement of the original Kickstarter difference.

As adition they could also offer the 8k backers who switch to the 5k+ to buy an 8k x for the kickstarter price. That’s what I would choose if I had the possibility.

This would mean, that pimax would not loose money and we would have different possibilities to chose from. I am just afraid to make the wrong decission and be unhappy with it. For me it is not the money, I just want to have the best headset. And I realy don’t know which one this is for me right now…

So please Pimax, it would be great to get the 5k+ and give you some more money for the 8k x. :wink:

2 Likes

This is stupid can we stop with the drama, Pimax doesn’t owe us anything over a 5k and a 8k headset.

You’re bitching because they gave us an upgraded 5k for free when they could have given the 5k backers the old 5k version and then later released to 5k+, If the 5k was worse in every way you guys would have been super happy.

Also I backed the 8k.

We got something better than we expected but this community still try to make it into something bad.

12 Likes

Then you make people settle for a nice paperweight!

There was no green light to be given.
Pimax didn’t need to green light anything it’s THEIR fucking product. They own it they choose when to release it. The backer meetup success basically decided that they had a “acceptable” product to go to market with.
As far as I can see, they could have released what they had 8 months ago and that’s what we would have got.
Since WHEN is a company held to ransom by potential customers? Are u fucking kidding me. They make it, people buy it or don’t. It’s simple. If the product is good “success” people buy it a life goes on. If not, bad luck, try again.
@Pimax-Support you probably should close these forums down. I understand the intention behind the open platform this gives people, but it’s no longer serving it’s purpose and it’s creating damage to your company. HTC, nvidia, any tech company simply wouldn’t stand for this in a forum they run.
Just do the needful and make great headsets as you are.
/End rant

5 Likes

There’s drama, and then there is this comment. Please, that is not necessary at all. However, Mods should be on the ball when baseless accusations are made and delete comments where appropriate. @neal_white_iii @Heliosurge

It seems to me there are some folks are hell-bent on digging at Pimax because of “reasons”. Perhaps this needs to be addressed more than anything.

6 Likes

Yeah, they are coming across as jilted as fuck with an axe to grind. It’s sad really.

2 Likes

Hmm well

Iam nobody to blame anyone BUT when you think about it

Testers couldnt say anything about the 5k/8k difference with the NDA.
I assume they received their Units while ago.
Since they all were choosen, it was because of their activities about VR

So they should have know something was wrong and if, as they says, are not part of the Pimax team, they should have been clear, knowing how explosive is this news (Spanish team got casted out for this?)about the 5k+ better right after the minute the DNA was lifted, yes, the minute, we are talking about the most actives peoples in VR or something like that, with thousands of subscibers on youtube…

Because, you pointed that so well, all that issues…but why now, you had the devices for a while now…

-Man, the 5k+ is better!?
-Well, let the shitstorm start then we can talk about it.

So its Pimax fault.
Yeah but its kickstarter…we are supposed to be “part of it”.
Then its our fault also.
Just delaying the shipping for everyone after DNA lift? Could have been wise…but what about the 8k stock?

The only one I can blame is me, just like a kid, cannot wait, want want want! With a bit of patience I would not have any trouble :grin:

1 Like

The way to solve all issue is “collect more money to buy all of 5k+, 8k, 8k x”.
Unfortunately I don’t have enough money in my wallet, lol.

I am still waiting answer for my question “how to swap each headset immediately if we have headset more than one?”

Other question is “how much the retail price?”, I will not be serious too much if I can buy 5k+ around $500. I back the full set and no problem if will buy headset only.

1 Like

Guys, can we please stop this nonsense of upgrading 8K to 8K(X). That simply doesn‘t make sense, because if the 8K(X) is what it is specified to be, the backers would get a headset they cannot play any game with for another 2-3 years, save for perhaps Fruit Ninja graphics level games. I can just imagine the shit storm which would arise when they finally, after a really long wait, get the headsets and then find out, they cannot power it, not even with the 2080Ti.

@mixedrealityTV: that suggestion is bs, and you know it. So I suggest you correct that, because this unfortunatelly can get a life of its own in such a forum, where a lot of people respond based on emotions rather than think through the points.

I suppose what you mean to suggest is rather that Pimax get back to the drawing board and create an 8K+, just as they did with the 5K, and allow 8K backers to instead wait for that. But this 8K+ would have as a mandatory requirement to offer either an upscaler (which does a better job than the current one) or implement some kind of foveated rendering to alleviate the GPU load. And if they do a really good job on the latter, it would make the 8K(X) obsolete. In that case it could result in your suggestion, that the 8K(X) backers receive the same 8K+ (and no 8K(X) because it would not exist) as those 8K backers, who opted to wait.

So yes, I agree that it would make sense for Pimax to consider continuing to improve the 8K to unleash its full potential, which currently apparently has not yet been fully achieved.

But I fear it would be unfair to ask Pimax to give all 8K backers a loaner so it would come down to the backers having to make the choice between 8K/5K+ today or wait longer for the 8K+. Difficult call, but I would consider it a fair offer, considering the circumstances.

3 Likes

Less information from pimax than necessary to decide between 5k+ and 8k? Yes

More information from pimax and youtubers/testers than any other headset on the market? yes

Good-natured and price-performance ratio from pimax compared to other manufacturers: excellent.

My last open questions:
which SDE is better now?
how big are the differences in brightness and black level between 8k and 5k+?

1 Like

[quote=“Axacuatl, post:73, topic:8573”]Guys, can we please stop this nonsense of upgrading 8K to 8K(X). That simply doesn‘t make sense, because if the 8K(X) is what it is specified to be, the backers would get a headset they cannot play any game with for another 2-3 years, save for perhaps Fruit Ninja graphics level games. I can just imagine the shit storm which would arise when they finally, after a really long wait, get the headsets and then find out, they cannot power it, not even with the 2080Ti.
[/quote]

If we already have 4K panels per eye on the 8K, if we already need to render 4K per eye resolution to make it really sharp, even though we are downsampling and then upsampling, then it kind of… the 8K doesn’t make any purpose anymore. It feels like they could just add that virtual link to it, that new connector, and then get rid of that scaler, and then just put the native resolution there because we are already rendering it. In PiTool 1.5 it’s a resolution already way above 4K per eye already. So it feels like we could just get rid of that scaler and get better image quality… -@Sweviver

3 Likes

I think along with the downgrade option to 5k+ the 8k backers ought to get an upgrade option to the 8K-X, paying the difference but also getting their loaner 5k+/8K like the other 8K-X backers.

The 8k just didn’t turn out well and I think it is the last time anyone will bother with a hard-wired upscaler in a VR headset, it just doesn’t work well. It would be possible to get a less compromised image but the upscaler needs more time to run a more complicated algorithm and that introduces delay, so the only reasonable answer is a simple algorithm that looks bad, which is what we are getting.

The true potential of the 8k is that with a custom scaler that can be controlled better we could do genuine foveated rendering. More resolution in the centre and less at the edges and when the eye tracker arrived a moving focussed area, allowing genuine 4k panel resolution where we are looking and delivering the advantage of the 8k. But that isn’t what is on offer. I think the 8k is what they said it would be, minus the refresh rate and the distortion is a new problem but it is also just a bad idea which backers couldn’t know until we saw the comparison to the 5k and the final rendering pipeline.

I can’t disagree about communication, if I had been a tester when that production email went out from PiMax I would have been livid and considered legal action unless it was retracted/clarified that testers had not greenlit, I would have broken NDA at that point without that misrepresentation being removed. The fact the Spanish testers have been cut out of the process and only a few testers remain suggests PiMax is selecting only the positive message testers, which is equally bad as they are community proposed testers. PiMax has withheld most of its genuine updates about progress the entire time. The fact they don’t communicate with the testers and us well is definitely an issue that has been there the entire time. They will be judged on the product more than their conduct but I consider their conduct as being continuous lying by omission and hence pretty bad.

1 Like

Your right your stereotyping the spanish is quite unfounded.

I just want to get my 8k already, because it have more potential than 5k+. It will be a big upgrade from my current Oculus, so it is something I want. In couple of years or so I’m going to upgrade again, for something else, probably with similar FOV, curved OLED displays with 2-3 times better resolution. But until then - 8k is just fine, see no point to complain. It is a kickstarter project, after all.

PS Regarding performance, from the beginning I had no illusions that current GPU can handle even 8k at full fps in demanding games. The fact that it actually runs quite OK on that many titles on 1080Ti, is a pleasant surprise for me. Going to get 2080Ti first chance they become freely available trough.

1 Like

The Spanish testers were not pushed out. Only 3 to 4 testers got to preview the new units prior to tge nda lift.

This was however not the original plan to release info together. But circumstances changed & none of the testers outside of the 3 & the proffessor had the opportunity to evaluate.

All it means is that they will present later that still wish to do so. 1 tester(i know) for example is preparing his review. As are likely others. So let’s drop this inquisition attitude.

(Not directed at you but folks who like this ridiculous rabbit hole)

2 Likes

La di da di we like to party.