MRTV Rant: Pimax Communcation Is Terrible Regarding 8K / 5k+

Could communication from Pimax have been better? Sure that I can agree on. But let’s face it as far as communication goes with a lot of companies it is FAR from the worst.

Is the current iteration of the 8k worse in terms of SDE/quality than the initial V1? I mean I have tried neither but I can’t say for sure, but I can’t imagine that it isin a worse state now.

The reason I ask is because, lets face it this was a Kickstarter project, they had a working prototype and some numbers on paper that made sense to them and made a prediction on what they could deliver based off that. Things changed as they often do during development, and it turns out have dual 1440p screens is better than have dual 4k screens that utilize an upscaler.

So if they have done everything in their power to try and deliver on their promises, I personally don’t fault them for that.

I 100% agree with all of this! They need to expand their marketing and support team sooner rather than later. If they don’t do it now they are going to have major issues when it comes to the consumer launch. They won’t be able to provide proper support to their customers, or it will be bad.

This is honestly all up to the Pimax team. They can share as little or as much as they want, while they wouldn’t be anywhere without us the backers, we wouldn’t be on the verge of a consumer Gen 2 headset. It’s their company and they keep some details of their technology close to the chest.

This I don’t agree with personally we are already getting these headsets at a great price. I want Pimax to succeed financially as well.

I also 100% agree with this especially the second point.

Aside from all this I still want to thank you @mixedrealityTV, without you and the other testers I would probably feel more like you do at this point, as you all are pouring a lot of time into this and it must be frustrating doing Pimax’s PR for them.This is something that @PimaxVR needs to address soon.

Cheers,

Aaron

6 Likes

Why dont you guys get it.
Pimax was eager to facilitate a truthfull information flow by giving youtubers/consumers the power to inform other consumers about there products.
If Pimax themselfes would steer the information flow like corprate ass companys like Oculus and HTC, it would be nonesensical to say the least.

I m with you that Pimax should offer the option to upgrade 8K to 8KX but making it a free upgrade is not realistic…cmon they ve limited captial and already offered good free accesorys like eye tracking for free.

Upgrading the 8K to 8KX for 200-300$ more is totally fair imo.
Just think about it why they made it a limited offer…they probably might have to assemble it themselfes and cant do it for 6K backers.

Also Sebastian why do you get mad about the panel specs…they already told that its 9% more ppi and rgb stripe…thats all we need to know actually.

9 Likes

I would be happy to buy a do-it-yourself upgrade kit for 8K to 8KX for that price. An offer like that would make getting the 8K (instead of the 5K+) a much more appealing option.

1 Like

The real problem is pimax have less action on big issue. So people feel they will not make more improvement.

Infact I am so happy with 8k after sweviver review the driver number 76, but it look we are in trouble again when we found other issue such as wobble and distortion.

Pimax should show your vision on 8k right now.

1 Like

Dont’ forget that we have downgrade the feature for a lot times.

1. 90Hz to be 80Hz, okay may acceptable.
  2. Not 200 fov, but 170 in horizontal. okay still enough.
  3. Has distortion on 170 at the edge, maybe you swap to use 150 mode instead. okay not a big problem in some case.
  4. 1070 is not enough, please upgrade your gpu or choose 5k instead, no problem I will upgrade my gpu in the future.

The clarity of 8k is not good as 5k+, so let to choose 5k+ instead.

What? Don’t forget that we jump in the kickstarter for pimax 8k, not pimax 5k+.
If pimax start the pimax 5k+ since the first times, it will not have the problem like this. Or if it has 5k and 8k without 5k+, no problem too.

It look we are forced to get anything which be lower again and again.
So please make it to be fair for all people or clarify for this situation.

3 Likes

100% agree with everything you wrote.

We need facts from Pimax, not from 3 (awesome) youtubers who are not even employed by Pimax

Even the kickstarter latest email said:

You may refer to the very in-depth video reviews by our super awesome testers to make your decision

What the actual F**k? No Pimax, you give us some actual facts so we can decide…

Many thanks for all your hard work @mixedrealityTV :+1:

7 Likes

You’re very right sebas. It’s like buying a car and the dealer refuses to tell you which motor it has

8 Likes

Just who at Pimax is in charge of their marketing and customer/backer communication? Is it @deletedpimaxrep1? If so, she is a failure at her job (你的工作失败了). Simple as that. Not trying to be cruel but the facts are as they are. Pimax NEEDS to step the fuck up their communications game. If this is her job she needs to damn well put a bit more time into it. These ghost like appearances randomly do not cut it nor will they long term if they want to grow and be a global player.

Just what the fuck else is she or whomever else is their marketing/communications team actually spending their time doing? This is a full-time role for her/them right? Do we as customers honestly feel we are dealing with someone doing this job full-time and taking it seriously given what we get? I don’t think so based on all the freakin pleas for her to provide info and details in so many posts. Just how in the hell are a few Youtubers, whom DO NOT work for Pimax giving more of their FREE TIME to us vs Pimax staff who actually is on the payroll?

I don’t get how they can be so clueless to how to take their roles seriously and with professional competence in regards to marketing and communication. Hell, I would not be surprised if the devs/engineers were clueless to some issue reports if they have to be filtered thru the team in charge of communication. As currently it seems pretty inept and clueless on how actually to perform the tasks required of the role.

3 Likes

A free upgrade 8K to 8K X !!! That would be a lovely gesture from Pimax to equal all backers (5K & 8K). Agreed 100% :sunglasses:

1 Like

How could they afford to do that ? Wouldn’t that cost millions of dollars?

1 Like

When I backed the Kickstarter, I was anticipating an 8K headset with…

1. Very little SDE (little SDE) <–success
  2. 90 Hz (only 80 hz) <–failed
  3. Should not be blurry (it is blurry) <—failed
  4. 180 degree FOV? (only 150-170) <–failed
  5. Brightness increase? <–success
  6. Other problems should not exist like distortions. <–failed
  7. Brainwarp implementation <—failed

So because of these failed factors…they should let us upgrade to Pimax 8K X (NOT FOR FREE) but for $100-$200. This is for those who stick with 8K (which failed in many factors). However, if you downgrade to 5K+ (you will not get to upgrade imo). Or maybe you will? I might have to think about this one lol.

So, as you can see. I am not asking for FREE upgrade. Just the right to upgrade the device later on. I mean who knows…maybe I wouldn’t even want to upgrade. There are probably already better headsets coming out by then.

7 Likes

So was that IronMan color scheme serious?

3 Likes

May be 8k become better with RTX.

I have ever asked about this, if pimax is partner with Nvidia, why they can’t tell about this or may they still don’t have the RTX too?

Okay, another recommendation. Why pimax not do a concern list topic?
Pimax should know how people concern and clear all. May it is useful than list of controller name which still not be voted.

I think pimax not give a chance to upgrade to be 8k x because they not sure that they can success on 8k x too, may be worse than 8k, lol.

I thank God I haven’t ever created a kickstarter campaign or held myself to the standards of forum and kickstarter communities just due to the sheer amount of overwhelming entitlement and whining.

Personally if I ever made or invented anythign good enough for the market I would just put it out there and it would either sell or die. No amount of money is worth having to endlessly trawl through constant nitpicking and demands…You need a lot of love for your product to have to suffer that.

11 Likes

On the one hand it would be useful (and fair) to the backers that now suddenly have to make this definitive and big decision between the 5K+ and the 8K because of what was being said during the campaign and where we are now. More details about the specs would help us for sure.

On the other hand I understand Pimax’s vulnerability and their delicate journey TOWARDS a consumer launch. If they think that it’s maybe best to keep the nitty gritty details of the specs to themselves until consumer launch is truly ready, I can’t really blame them. A lot of companies have this approach and only goes fully transparent when the consumer launch is set in stone. We’ve seen it before, right?

On a side note Pimax should really listen to the testers and the backers and stop being so damn stubborn on some subjects. The backer meet up for instance. Backers have been begging for tests of different games so they could grasp how the headsets will perform. If Pimax would had their way backers had been playing Beat Saber and not MUCH more in London. It’s because of the international sense of the testers that we could see all those games at the meet up and the impressions that followed in the videos that the testers shot. That relieved a lot of doubts and tensions for sure. Good for us, good for you.

Pimax, do not neglect the ways, common sense and the knowledge of the international market that the backers and testers hold. The forum members is not just VR enthusiasts but also a good representation of the international market that you so much would like to please when all is said and done.
The gaming industry is a perfect example of this and how for instance Playstation and Xbox have had really bumpy moments and sometimes even total failure when trying to penetrate the “other market” with a conservative, naive and narrow minded approach. A particular part of Sega’s history is worth quoting (from wikipedia):

“In mid-1990, Nakayama hired Tom Kalinske to replace Katz as CEO of Sega of America. Although Kalinske initially knew little about the video game market, he surrounded himself with industry-savvy advisors. A believer in the razor and blades business model, he developed a four-point plan: cut the price of the console, create a U.S.-based team to develop games targeted at the American market, continue and expand the aggressive advertising campaigns, and replace the bundled game Altered Beast with a new game, Sonic the Hedgehog.[55] The Japanese board of directors initially disapproved of the plan,[63] but all four points were approved by Nakayama, who told Kalinske, “I hired you to make the decisions for Europe and the Americas, so go ahead and do it.”[52] Magazines praised Sonic as one of the greatest games yet made, and Sega’s console finally became successful.[55] In large part due to the popularity of Sonic the Hedgehog, the Sega Genesis outsold its main competitor, Nintendo’s SNES, in the United States nearly two to one during the 1991 holiday season. This success led to Sega having control of 65% of the 16-bit console market in January 1992, making it the first time Nintendo was not the console leader since December 1985.”

So look at the history of western and eastern market relations and learn from it. And integrate yourselves more with us backers. Communication can be quite exhausting but in the bigger picture (no pun intended) it’s the best way to go.

The testers are doing too much for you. Don’t take that for granted. Get in here yourselves. Talk to us.

@deletedpimaxrep1 @Pimax-Support

11 Likes

I think this is something they can think about indulging when they have shipped to backers, paid back investors and are making a decent profit. Please be reasonable.

1 Like

I would be quite happy to upgrade to an 8k + if there ever was one. Even pay a little extra if new components cost more to manufacture. If pimax offered the 8k to be upgraded using new panels or even an improved scaler then I’d be interested in this. Take 8k now upgrade to 8k+later. If this was an option then I probably wouldn’t care about the 5k+ right now.

3 Likes

Then you probably should have backed the 8kX in the first place.

1 Like

I considered it, but it felt like too much cash to risk. We had no idea if Pimax could really pull this off. They did, sort of: The 5K+ meets more of the original specs than the 8K, but both have a reduced FOV and distortion problems.

I paid for the 8kX…and took the risk…Now that it is looking on track, everyone seems to want to jump on the bandwagon which is great and all… but when people are demanding it for free or getting the optional upgrade…it makes me wonder why I had to put up that extra money in the first place when everyone else had the luxury of keeping the money in their bank account until their risk reduced.

5 Likes