Mr.uu´s 8kX Experiences

YES, definately. But thats only me, who has 25+ headsets at home and has enough money to waste on my VR hobby.

The 8kX is outstanding in sharpness. If you want the sharpest picture and wide fov and have the cash, get it.

But the 8kX is not perfect in many regards. Blurry lenses, distortion, sweetspot, software stability, etc.
If you are a freak and can handle its downsides, no problem. If you want an almost hussle free experience, but less sharpness, get an index

14 Likes

This was some how my feelling : Technical advances with some hurdles and rought spots

1 Like

Hey, whatever works for you :wink: My intent in asking was simply to hear your own words from memory (hot swapping optional lol) in more detail because this is what people are interested in and not to “bother” you with the effort of it all. You’re of course under no obligation although I as well as others here might be able to benefit from your “individual” impressions seeing as there are so few out there at this point. Have a great time with your new Pimax and all the best :+1:

Thanks for your honest assessment! Really hoping that Pimax will consider to focus on the lenses for their next flagship (instead of even higher resolution)

3 Likes

How can picture be sharp but lenses be blurry? Do you mean lenses are blurry at the peripheral on Large FOV?

Out of the sweetspot, or if you strap the HMD not correctly.
The large sweet spot of the Pimax likes to tempt you to the latter.

First Time with my 8k+, i also thought that the picture is blurry.
Well, perfectly adjusted, nearly the best sharpness of Reverb, despite the scaled image.

1 Like

And as distance between eyes and lenses seems to have to match perfectly to have a good experience it might make be important to have an eye relief feature to optimize that distance.

2 Likes

Did that. set steamvrss to 100% (3304v pixels :scream:) MotionSmoothing in steamvr off, smsm off, fov in pitools to large. Set ingame Character to low, shadows medium and fog low.

went to the balcony in chapter one and looked around. was mind boggling. saw not only to the end of the street clearly, but also the whole block of rooftops was detailed.

Shadow popped in/out as before, but later in the fov than on normal fov - logical.

Performance hud was diffucult to read because of different position per eye. Had mostly green, sometimes dip into yellow (when loading new parts of the scene). standing on the balcony only, looking around i was always green. also fpsvr showed green, below threshold.
Numbers after a couple of minutes were 13.3ms average, 8.4ms average cpu time. GPU memory was yellow, 8.8gb out of 11 used.

Now you want me to test the same with smsm in pitools on? or do you want me to use steams motion smoothing? @NextGenVR please be precise.
Then i shall disable the startup parameters and give you the numbers with pp on? with motion smoothing active? again please be precise.

EDIT: tested with same start parameters but turned pp on. resolution changed to 4113v :scream: pixels, frametimes went to red, showed 19.9ms average. and now 10gb+ in gpu memory used.

5 Likes

yep, picture is very sharp all the sweetspot, but looses sharpness because of the lenses the more you go wide fov

4 Likes

i am not quite convinced anymore about the large sweetspot in comparison to the index e.g.

no way. the sharpness really comes to fruit if you try to focus on things in the distance.

having just a couple minutes ago experienced the 8kx with 3300 and 4100v pixels i can assure you that such details in far distance (smoke out of the chimney from houses blocks away, etc.) is just awsome.
running my 8kx in upscaling mode a few days ago, testing with FO4vr, i know for a fact that your 8k+ is a dissapointment in terms of sharpness. like the odyssey+ was for odyssey users. there is a benefit of very high pixel fill but for higher sharpness (details) you simply need more pixels to display it.

9 Likes

I am happy with the pimax sweetspot. (</=10mm Foam)
For me, the complete menue in DCS is sharp without any blur.
One can only dream of that in other HMDs. However, I do not know index Sweetspot.

1 Like

Smoke from a distant chimney is the type of info I’m liking to hear. The type of info that would be lost or barely noticed in other headsets. If you can recognize that youmay have not crossed you mind before but can now admire it, that a WOW moment. Now I’d like to hear from someone with a 1080ti if this thing can run acceptable. My decision on the X is weather I need to invest another 2K or more to make a significant impact on my VR experience. I know I don’t regret the $500 I spent on a haptic Vest.

2 Likes

i will change back to the index and want to check the sweetspot and the clarity on that kind of details.
coming soon…

4 Likes

I’m not familiar with what smsm means. Keep it off. I want you to enable SteamVR’s motion smoothing, remove sc_no_cull and vr_multiview_instancing parameters, enable PP and then view the performance stats on the HUD display and fpsvr.

Basically trying to see the performance difference between just parallel projection VS. No parallel projection with sc_no_cull and vr_multiview_instancing.

smsm(smartsmoothing) is pimax own MotionSmoothing. I think that Steamvr MotionSmoothing does not work on Pimax headsets. i could be wrong, though.
Okay, why bother about smsm or MotionSmoothing anyway? they only kick in if the framerate goes below a threshold.

You want the numbers with and without pp and with and without the parameters, right?

1 Like

Whenever there are drops in performance, Half Life Alyx’s auto fidelity kicks in which makes motion smoothing unnecessary. When auto fidelity is disabled, motion smoothing helps reduce jitteryness during performance drops.

So yes you can enable smsm if you want. I don’t think it matters that much for the test.

I want the performance stats of with PP but without sc_no_cull & vr_multiview_instancing. And the performance stats without PP but with those parameters included.

Keep auto fidelity disabled and at level 3 for BOTH tests.

2 Likes

Wait, can you elaborate this (in another thread maybe? if you already have, i missed it).

@mr.uu

Would you be able to trying something different, like watch a movie in 4k source. And tell us what you think regarding difference compared to a monitor ( and the resolution of your monitor)

It’s great you doing those testings, much more interesting to read than the pages of complaints :grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

did that already. read my post above. 13.3ms average, 8.3ms cpu

1 Like

Okay, and when you turned on PP for the second test, did you remember to remove +sc_no_cull 1 and +vr_multiview_instancing 0 from the launch options?

You can also enable FFR (Fixed Foveated Rendering) in Pitool when using PP for better performance.