Mr.uu´s 8kX Experiences

The 8K+ will always have a softer look and will never be as sharp as an 8KX, since the 8K+ always upscales.

I agree , but laymen don’t need choice right away.

Have the option there but just turn on the best one for the plebs like uploadVR when they finally decide to review the thing.

1 Like

Sounds good. I highly recommend getting Asgard’s Wrath from the Oculus store and playing it through Revive. It is a quality triple A VR game and has so many details that it would highly benefit from the 8K-X’s 4K resolution. I think the world is as big as Skyrim’s or close. Like 40+ hours of gameplay.

1 Like

yeah i can play the game now, when it’s done it will be cool.

Its a little tech-demoey at the moment. But the atmosphere is there.

Definitely channeling blade runner.

The observer 2 looks great but i don’t know if they will add VR.

revive not necessary or recommended. Pitool plays it better. (first time for everything)

3 Likes

So, tried some more.

Was watching some nature videos. :scream: from czechvr.com via VirtualDesktop
First was watching 4k content (i had already downloaded a year ago) and that looks amazing already.
Then i downloaded new 8k content. Was even better, more detailed. But even with lower quality you have a weird feeling of presence - what it´s all about - isn´t it? :crazy_face:

Then i tried HiRes youtube videos via VirtualDesktop. size 90deg, 1.5m distance. Distance similar to a movie theatre. Desktop was at 1440p and stream, too. Already that was amazing. Did not try real 4k - can only be even better. First time you think you look at a normal Monitor, not focusing on sde.

Then i thought i could use this setting to compare my index and switched to it. Well, i almost forgot how i immediately focus on the sde while watching movies with the index. If you slightly move your head while watching it looks great because the sde gets kind of blurred. But as soon as your head keeps steady, the picture becomes sharp and the sde jumps right into your eye…

Nevertheless compared the sweetspot aaaaannnnndddd: felt better (reasoning below). The numers at the bottom (timeline) and the Title on top/left was less blurred than with my 8kX. saw no barrel distortion when looking at the borders of the movie “wall” but slight warping inside it. roughly at the point of half of max fov of the index there was some slight warping going on. And also on top. On top was also compression going on.

Then i started HL Alyx with the index. Steamvrss resolution was around 2300v pixels. Went to the balcony and enjoyed the view. I did want to compare the fov and warping/clarity with my 8kx. so i went around one meter left of the radio on the table, looking straight ahead to the citadel. down, outside of the balcony you see two leafs. i centered myself on the right leaf and checked how far i could see from side to side and up and down. with the index i could see up to the massive high block on the citadel and below i could almost see the balcony handrail. Left i could see until (including) the round windows like structure of the combine outpost and right i could see until (including) the big rooftop window of the next building.

I focused on the smoke coming out of the cimneys and was suprised about the details i saw there. BUT the screendoor when my head was still. terrible. was the same impression as before when watching videos.
Clarity/sharpness is simply so much better on the 8kX.

Then i checked the blur area of the lenses again. Was pleased with the amount of blur. Better than 8kX (reasoning coming soon). Then i switched to the 8kX again.
First of all i switched pp on and dialed steamvrss to 100% (3004v pixels, FOV small) compared back with pp off and have to say that it is overall a better experience with pp on (contrary to my old thinking).
Checked the details and have to say it is a massive improvement in clarity over the index. checked the fov and could see now (from the same position as before) another roughly two centimeter in the lenses further. left to the end of the combine outpost and more, right to the end of the rooftop around the corner of this building and below i could see the handrail. but i couldn´t see as far up as before - minimal less far. Reason for it could be my vertical ipd offset of -2 on both eyes. But i am not sure about that.

Checked the blur of the lenses (sweetspot) and was positively and negatively suprised at the same time. It looks to me as if the blur of the index lenses is starting earlier but is less intense. So i think the sweetspot of the pimax lenses is overall bigge, but sharpness degrades quicker over fov.
So my feeling about the better clarity of the index was not completely wrong. But after having swapped the index with the 8kX, the improvement in quality is so big that i never want to go back (exeption: 144Hz needed)

Can not test more today, will do next week.

20 Likes
2 Likes

Interesting. Worth to try.

Thank you for these great posts! Really enjoying reading all of your experiments and testing. Your Index comparisons are really interesting to me because that is what I currently use. You’re making me even more excited to get my 8KX. I went from a 5k+ to an Index and while I’ve enjoyed the improved audio, comfort and ease of use I really have missed that extra FOV from the 5k+. I personally never had any issues with distortions so I don’t expect to have any with the 8kx either.

Do you happen to have American Truck Simulator or Eurotruck Simulator? Would love to hear about your thoughts on the improvement in those games.

2 Likes

Very detailed impressions there, thanks for that.
Now, @mr.uu , you mentioned you have to install the Oculus crap software anyway, may I suggesst Stormland be made into a test subject? Pretty sure you’ll enjoy that game as well, it allows awesome freedom of movement and has huge levels, so the clarity at a distance should really pay off there.

1 Like

Unfortunately it has become customary to use the terms “sharpness”, and “clarity” both to describe how good things are optically, and when estimating the magnified screen resolution of the device.

One would wish everybody would try to avoid inevitable misunderstandings, by simply making the distinction, but alas; This is the whole: “sweet spot” fraying of nomenclature all over again. :frowning:

1 Like

TWD has good graphics for sure. Even though I enjoyed other zombie games and loved Arizona, completing it a couple times with different people. I find the killing by hand in TWD a bit intense and real. I give it to them for their accomplishments but I guess I don’t find it that enjoyable. Don’t think I’ll complete it. Definitely not for everyone and can’t recommend it as a must buy. I just hope their next VR title is a bit less killing, because it is very well made title.

1 Like

I have the AmericanTruckSimulator and the EuroTruckSimulator 2. Both support VR? never tried them.

I would need to buy stormland. but i have The Climb already. Will test that - i have fear of heights :crazy_face:

4 Likes

Sounds like killing zombies in Days Gone on PS4.
I could test Arizona Sunshine.

Yeah, need to play Skyrim. But first want to install the best VR mods for it…takes time.

1 Like

Did not mention yet that i have some occasional hiccups with the right speaker of the smas. It seems as if the speakers connection is loose (but inside the speaker, i checked the plug sits firmly in the socket).
I need to screw it loose, clean the contacts and fasten it again.

Overall i am impressed by the quality of the speakers. Thought that i would use my vive in-ears instead of the smas, but i can easily picture myself using just the smas for gaming.

EDIT: Did as said above and fixed my audio connection problems.

6 Likes

Thanks for your time, Mr. uu and for your honest impressions.
As it concerns getting SkyrimVR set up, are you aware of this?

I use this and it works great and really makes it quicker to set up.

Oh yes, they both have VR support and are both very immersive. One of the developers has been keeping the VR version updated with the releases because the game does not have “official” support.

Definitely worth checking out. Below is a link to the steam forums showing how to activate the VR support

https://steamcommunity.com/app/270880/discussions/0/1480982971179620062/

1 Like

I really appreciate your sharing of hands on 8kx experience. Makes the wait that much bearable.

Pimax should have more regular users sharing the experiences such as yours, this is as pure as it gets, no hype or view number, just enthusiasm for vr.

2 Likes