Motion Compensation feature not present anymore in Pimax Client?

Dear Community,

I recently got a 6 DOF motion sim and I am currently doing a few optimizations of the rig, especially Motion Comp.

I tried so far Open VR and Open XR MC via a vive tracker, but no luck either to get MC working on one of both this systems.

I then realized that Pitool had in the past a option for MC, but I can not see this option in the current Pimax Client 1.13 which I am currently using with my 8KX.

With high probability I can not go back to a previous pure Version of Pitool due to my 4090 and some other problems I encountered while playing (strange frame drops and so on…).
I tested many Pitool versions with my 8KX, but so far only the current Pimax Client is usable for my 8KX and a good VR experience.

So in summary, is the Pimax MC option from now on gone with the Pimax Client? I can not find anything from it in the Settings Menu or elsewhere in the software.

Pimax MC is my last option to get MC working on my rig.

Which Pitool version is usable with a 4090 for a 8KX?
Maybe I tested not all Pitool Versions or forgot one for testing.

Thanks for any suggestions and experience!

1 Like

I’m following this thread cause in a near future I’m gonna have my DIY 2dof finished and then, for the games I will play in full DOF (flying games), I’m gonna need this.
For car game I won’t cause my wheel and shifter will be stationary, but everything else…

2 Likes

The OVRMC didn’t work with the Pimax due a incompatibility of the driver and how It works.

The OpenXR MC should work, but you need to used It along with the Pimax-XR, OpenXR Toolkit and in some games with the OpenComposite to get It to work.

Maybe you didn’t configure It well?

1 Like

I can promise to you that setting up MC is difficult and some like me are struggling with that. For me personally I did not need any MC for a 2 DOF Set up in the past, I had a Seat Mover a while back. I do not now how large your movement range is with your rig. If MC is needed or not is depending on the max possible motion range. For 10-20 degrees in most cases MC is not needed, above that range it could be needed.

If you can, try the Pitool integrated MC, for some it worked flawless.

I will look into testing Pitool version .284 regarding MC and hopefully I will have luck.
Pimax Client seems to have that function not anymore, I am not sure, main purpose of this thread is to find out if there MC function is somewhere hidden in the client or not.

But congrats for building a DIY 2DOF by yourself! I guess with your abilities, you should be more successful with setting up MC than me :wink:

I tried everything possible so far for me, also read the instructions very carefully and did everything accordingly to the instructions.
No luck so far, after reading all MC threads here, I am not the only one struggling with Open XR MC

Do you know if the Pimax MC is no longer available with the in Pimax Client integrated Pitool?
I can not find it there.

Which pure Pitool Version is usable with a 4090 and a 8KX?

Thanks!

Thanks.
It’s an all wood DIY cockpit I made to play VR and non VR race games, fly simulation games, and regular games, watch TV, internet surf and eat. a do_everything_cockpit.
The wheel, shifter and future buton box are on a static bridge that can pivot to be hidden behind the pedals when I don’t need the wheel.
The TV stand can be moved forward/backward and up/down.
The seat pedals + foot rest plates + buttkicker remote commande +throttle and directionnal flysticks are the moving parts.

because I used random wood parts I found on the street, and all this modularity, I have been working on all of this for a year now, but I have been able to enjoy the not dynamique version of this rig sooner because the 2dof module I(m working on was temporary replaced by a static wood block that has exactly the same dimensions as the dynamic is supposed to have.

Now, because it’s kind of a seat mover (seat + pedals + shifter), and the max roll/pitch angles are about +10/-10 degrees, I have no doublt MC is not necessary for sim racing.
But for flying I admit I have no idea how it feels if the plane/spaceship rolls and your virtual body does while the corkpit doesn’t relatively to the vehicle.

On the lucky side, I have a 3080ti and a 5k+, but for performance boost I have been using OpenXRtoolkit since very recently and now, if I’m not wrong, it needs the most recent couple of Pimax Client to work (PimaxXr), and as you said they don’t seem to include motion compensation anymore, which is a boomer.

3 Likes

Well, that´s sounds like 100s of hours of work spent in to your motion rig, nice Job!

One huge advantage over a bought motion rig has a DIY solution: Modularity as already from you mentioned and every possible occuring defects can be repaired by yourself, that is in my opinion a huge one.

At first I wanted to go also the DIY route but soon I discovered how much work this is and what all could go possible wrong while bulding the rig, I do not have the endurance for DIY.
So I deciced to buy a commercial one from DOF Reality , a H6 with this SFU gearboxes.

I guess the most difficult thing to do on a DIY motion rig is the software and the contoll unit for the motors.

From my experience, you do not need MC for VR Flying in a 2 DOF Motion rig. I used a Seat Mover from DOF Reality for E:D for 2 years, you not really notice the movements of your rig while flying in any negative way, I liked it very much and enhanced the immersion quiet a bit. At the end you of course have to decide for yourself if you need MC.

If you are already using OpenXR toolkit, then setting up the OPen XR MC should be no Problem for you. Give it a try. All you need is a vive tracker, a good mount for the tracker on your seat (which also absorbs some vibrations while using a buttkicker) and the few different softwares

So, now I have the comformation that the Pimax Client do not have any build in MC, thanks!
So I have to look for a working pure Pitool Version with my 4090 or messing around again a couple hours for Open XR MC, meeeeh

Good Luck for Setting up MC!

2 Likes

By the way, sorry for digging my off topic diy dof subject, but it turns out today was the day I decided to try my 2dof module, without the motors yet, but with some strong stretching elastics at the 4 sides, and with 4 security stop modules to limit the movements amplitude to the maximum the motors will bring, with a bit of margin.
And that’s what I just did, to do some tests, to see if anything touches at extreme angles and what, and to see if my legs touches the wheel desk, the rim, this kind of stuffs, but also to have a preview of the feeling.

What a cool boat simulator I am building ha ha! :smiley:

Accelerations and braking will feel brutal at their max, my hands, arms fully stretched, are barely touching the rim when I’m fully inclined toward the rear (at full F1 accelerations I guess) , and folded at 45 degrees on full braking.
leaning on the sides to simulates centrifugal forces feels legit, but I definitely have to ask someone to move my rig from behind when I say “accelerate”, “brake” or “turn to the left” to see how it feels while wearing my pimax.

In the other hand, this test tends to renforce my feeling that CM will be needed for fly simulation, especially those with large range of motion, relatively to the virtual cockpits.
But there is only one way to figure out, and this is going to be after my holydays.

1 Like

MC via Pimax was bad and deprecated. OpenXRMC is currently the best and only option, but I feel it has side effects.
You’re not missing anything.
If your goal is to stay positioned in cockpit squarely consider the 9-axis tracking instead of lighthouse based. This will of course only work with 2 DOF, but eliminates the rotational compensation which currently you cannot separate from translation in the compensation. I hope someday OpenXRMC is expanded by someone to allow decoupling the 3 Axes and their translational compensation and rotation compensation into 6 parts. That would accommodate all use-cases.

MC itself is in a flex point in it’s development. It works perfectly as far as calculation and pose manipulation, but doesn’t suit all situations (inside out tracking, 9-axis, based, lighthouse based. Nor does it allow you to select whether you want 2DOF vs 3DOF) and the terms are not always referred to in the same way.

2 Likes

Hey,

To access the motion compensation setting in the Pimax Client, follow these steps:

1. Launch the Pimax Client.
  2. Go to “Device Settings” within the client.
  3. Press CTRL+Q, and a pop-up should appear, displaying the motion compensation setting for you to configure.
4 Likes

thanks for the information.
Note to the developers for future Client versions : (re)make a clickable option instead of a secret shortcut people may have never heard about.

question for pimax users, old and new gear : does it work with both base station based tracking and insideout based tracking?

1 Like

Interesting to hear, for some it worked, like VR Gamer Dude, if I remember correctly. He could not get any else MC working with his Pimax Headsets and even with other lighthouse tracked Headset. He was quiet satisfied with the Pimax integrated MC. Maybe this will be also the case for me, hopefully!

Thanks to @PimaxQuorra, I will try at first the Pimax MC, if that should fail, I will completely delete and reinstall all Softwares needed for Open XR MC and will double check all things twice. If that also fails, I then have to live without MC.

Interesting, it is a complex topic and software after my experience so far, but we can all be thankful that there are people out there, who are programming all this Things for us VR Users in their freetime!

@PimaxQuorra Thank you so much for this information, I will try out the Pimax integrated Motion Compensation in the coming days and will update this Thread with the results!

1 Like

After my knowledge, it only works via a lighthouse tracked vive tracker, it needs also a specific orientation of the tracker on the seat mount and good vibration absorption materials while using a Buttkicker.

I do not know if they enhanced this feature over time, like for inside out tracked headsets or so. I think that @PimaxQuorra or some Pimax software techs can tell us more about that!

Yes.

In the upcoming client version, we will be adding a new “Tab” with additional settings for our users.

Regarding the Crystal headset, it is compatible with both base station-based tracking (using the Lighthouse faceplate) and inside-out tracking.

However, for the 8KX and earlier models, it only supports base station-based tracking.

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra Great, thanks for adding the MC function in a new extra Tap in the next Client Version!

2 Likes

Uh, I am totally curios what that “additional settings” would be. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Pimax doesnt and cant handle MC in the ideal way in its current form. Apparently its limited by the steamVR based pose manipulation. Jist trying to save users time. It can result in the edges of your view shifting and encroaching when the compensation engages at higher rotational speeds, which are more common with the yaw2 and it speed and range of motion. Try openXRMC.

3 Likes

Some experimental features?!

1 Like

I should hope pimax moves to openxr