MINI (Re)View 8K X - ARRIVED 07 September 2020

Nope the shipment just arrived.
My Cats love boxes, especially Pimax ones :grin:.

7 Likes

It’s OK, BUT would be better if the HMD could tilt down more, I will open a ticket and see if I get the plastic ones. I have like half a centemeter of space on the lower edge and after like 1.5 or 2 hours I feel that it is not sitting as good as it could.

6 Likes

Well I got it solved - deleted the vrstetting config - it made a new one an all was fine… god knows…

5 Likes

Maybe you allow me another question about the delivery of the headset. Did you have to pay any customs for the shipment? I’m asking, because I got the eye-tracking module some weeks ago and now received a bill by FedEx of 28 Euros for import VAT and provision.

5 Likes

I Needed to pay 170 euro!

2 Likes

For the eye tracker?!

1 Like

for the 8kx that sounds about right, for the eyetracker a bit much…

1 Like

so 16€ vat and 12€ for handling, sounds about right.

1 Like

I didn’t expect to pay extra for import. If I remember right, we did not have to pay import VAT for the 5K+/8K (I’m from Germany)? Didn’t they have a storage within the EU to avoid import taxes?

2 Likes

With the backer 5k+ / 8k Pimax paid vat when they imported the headsets for EU distribution and did not pass it on to the backer which according to them basically wiped out any profit (i forget where the posts about this is).

However you look at it EU countries are going to charge tax on import, the only way to avoid that is smuggling. it is just a question of when it gets charged. at least German vat is down to 16% atm.

3 Likes

Lol, you are lucky if you only got billed 28€, I got about 75€ “tax” including fedex charges, about double the assumed taxes since pimax declared the correct value of €99 with rebate. Praying my 8KX delivered on friday wont trigger tax since I already paid them.

Not Pimax fault but from now on I’ll never ever leave it to fedex and the Swedish border agents to correctly calculate any value. Aka not buying from pimax anymore if I cannot pay my taxes to them.
Your mileage may vary

5 Likes

Thanks for your answers, guys! As I 'm still waiting for my Pimax 8KX, there is still time for me to save money for the VAT payment. :wink:
Sorry, MReis, for hijacking your thread! :blush:

3 Likes

You can ask me as many questions as you like :slight_smile: That is what we are all here for!

I did not get any invoice yet (that reminds me, I need to go check the analog mail for today).

6 Likes

No Problem - its relevant!

3 Likes

Do you notice any screen flickering @t 75Hz ?
short question, need to find others :smile:
Quick go fine the HMD, more are coming up :crazy_face:

Hope you are enjoying it !

2 Likes

Nope no flickering, looks really nice and just like the 8K+ gave me a bit more wow and 3D perception, the 8k X adds to that.
Until now I am really enjoying it!
Down side is, the better the HMD the worse are bad implemented VR Games. DCS is awesome some for the details in the Cockpit, but the fine details like how the lights on the runway look, the clouds and stuff jumps out more in the 8K X if it’s not done nicely or is just not adopted for VR. Dirt 2.0 never looked so Awsome, that Titel really shines for me. Alyx is great in all HMDs, but more details really make this a Desktop like experience, only better since it’s actually 3D. For Alyx, since most stuff is rather near the 8k + also does a very good job. In games with greater distance or fine details (gauges in the car or plane, road ahead or far of targets) the X stands out with its sharpness.
Having the 8k X I would say this is where VR needs to be its not behind desktop usage anymore, even adds on top of it - so next steps would be to have a lense that is near 100% sharp on the whole FOV. That would be an Awsome add on for the X in like 2021, if it is achievable.

15 Likes

Nice of you to make such a detailed reply, makes the wait for my 8Kx so much better.

5 Likes

I know how the waiting is, so I am happy to provide some “little insights”.
I wanted to do some shots through the lens, but at that level it’s not easy to do and to get to the point where the image shows the difference between 8k+ and 8K X.

5 Likes

Is there anything that frustrates you a lot about the 8KX? Like do you have times where you hate the HMD and times when you love it? Or is it mostly enjoyment and you plan to use it as your daily driver? Thanks.

3 Likes

Daily driver - had some issues I guess that are pimax version related, like in Asgard Wrath.
But most of that are not the 8KX fault. Currently I don’t see a use case for the others, except maybe more hz, but even in the 5k+ it was hard to get Sims to go to very high FPS.
I guess in a few years the same resolution will still be OK, just more hz for fast games or scenes and more sharpness across the whole lens.

Edit installed the latest 264 driver and will give it a shot.
IL2 as an example also crashed after a short time… No idea why. ALYX, Skyrim, Dirt 2.0 run for hours. :grin:

Edit frustration, not really, some minor things that I guess pimax could get rid of in general. But it’s the best version as of now. It’s very good built quality o. First sight, some small issues here and there like the metal hinge thing I had missed out on. They are improving, but need to professionallise that path

9 Likes