Luke Ross Mods Discussion

It’s Horizon Zero Dawn! YES!

UploadVR coverage

@LukeRoss you’ve forced my hand, I have no choice but to join your Patreon now :slight_smile:

I’ve been hearing rumors that Returnal may come to PC. If it does and Luke mod’s it that would be nuts.

EDIT: Just joined and I am pleased so see special instructions for Pimax users. :+1: seems like PP must be on.

Thanks @PimaxUSA for making this possible by providing a headset to him. Can’t wait for cyberpunk.

5 Likes

Excellent! I’ll be getting this.
To echo @drowhunter well done Pimax for sorting Luke with a headset.
Hoping this will be a great experience.
Yes, roll on Cyberpunk!

1 Like

Making people pay for a mod is shameful. This is my opinion.

Forcing it on someone, yes, but no-one forces anyone… :wink:

6 Likes

You understood what I meant ^^

2 Likes

Sure, but my point still stands.

If You don’t like it, don’t buy it.

8 Likes

Expecting someone to work for free is shameful.

10 Likes

Guys, a mod is supposed to be free. Even TFC and DoD were free before they were absorbed by Valve.
Besides, a mod is based on a code that doesn’t belong to the dev, exploiting it financially is supposed to be illegal.

By that reasoning, VorpX should be illegal. Even the PiTool software should be illegal, as it modifies the behavior of games, for instance to enable fixed foveated rendering where it wasn’t implemented by the original developers.

I understand that people would love that everything in life was free. For example, I would certainly like to get new tires for my car for free, instead of having to pay for them. Or an aftermarket exhaust system, or a new coat of paint. Since I already paid for the car, the rest should be free, right?

However, that desire doesn’t entitle you to make random accusations. There is nothing in my mods that exploits code that doesn’t belong to me or is not properly licensed for use.

There are two types of mods. One type takes the assets, or game design, or ideas, or any other sort of intellectual property belonging to a game, and transfers it to another medium. For instance, the mod that allows you to play Bioshock in VR on the Half-Life: Alyx platform. Those mods need to be authorized by the owners of the original IP, because they allow you to benefit from it without proper compensation to the original IP owners.

The other type is what I do, or VorpX does, or PiTool does: improving the experience offered by a game, without transferring the IP to another medium or platform, and without offering any way of benefiting from the IP that doesn’t require paying the original owners. In simpler words: if you want to play my Horizon: Zero Dawn VR mod, you have to buy the original game first. The original developers and publishers are properly compensated.

There is nothing illegal in that. Although there are two caveats: the owners of the original IP might feel that my mods (or again, VorpX, PiTool, GeForce Experience… anything that modifies the way the game looks) disparage the original IP, putting it in a bad light, and/or they might find that my conversions are in competition with a product that they want to release based on their IP. For example, if Rockstar came out with their own VR version of Red Dead Redemption 2. In that case, they would just need to ask and I would of course take down the mods or modify them in a way that stops the alleged damage to their IP.

20 Likes

Unbelievably terrible take. Developers who spend time planning, creating, refining and dealing with requests should be able to be compensated if they choose. People have to eat dude and you dump on them? Just wow. Not a good look for you at all.

Further you are wrong about the law as well. This is well settled law. “Aftermarket” items are indeed legal. Essentially accessories that improve any commercial item are legal provided you do not violate copyrights, trademarks or patents to do so. In short if your modification is a unique work external to what you modify it is indeed legal.

6 Likes

Since 25 years mods are free, from HL to CP2077. Even total conversion mods are free, biggest Skyrim mods that adds a full campaign are free but maybe you’ll tell us they didn’t send time on their creation…
And btw you’re wrong. Modding is juste tolerated, not legal. Trading in it is not permitted by laws and exceeds the tolerance limit of many editors. Would you find it normal for a “composer” to change even a note of a score written and deposited by another and receive royalties on the pretext that it would be an “improvement” ?

Luke, comparing a mod that needs the original game and standalone applications, that’s a nonsense. Of course they’re supposed to be illegal like any other program that modifies the original code, like trainers. But they use their own code in order to work, mods don’t. The comparison makes no sense.
There’s absolutely no reason for me to subscribe for something supposed to be as free as fresh air.

Ok…you are entitled to your opinion. I’m not sure what the end goal of this is. But I don’t see this ending in a positive way for anyone.

This is the sort of thing that caused the Everspace devs to get annoyed and drop VR support altogether.

2 Likes

It’s great that some mods are free, i know where you’re coming from.
It’s just that some mods aren’t free. Those developers have chosen to generate an income out of their work. I’m fine with that too.

These guys could be doing something else with their skills that also generates an income. I’m glad people like Luke chooses to spend time making vr mods. For what we pay, £8.48 for 1 months patreon, its well worth it, to me…i’m getting the results of many skilled hours of work for the price of a takeaway meal. Bargain tbh. And the financial reward encourages the production of more vr mods.

1 Like

The goal is the same as those who give a positive opinion: to express an opinion frankly. You cannot expect to have only positive reviews of anything. Negative reviews are just as necessary.
Je ne pense pas être le seul à avoir cet avis et je pense qu’il est aussi important de le savoir. I’ve been immersed in the mod world for decades (I think Tykey6 understood that ^^) and produced a few (mostly on HL) and I can’t support this kind of practice, that’s all.

wonder how you guys playing Lukes mods on pimax?it needs PP on but also small to potato fov makes no diference in clarity cause i would gladly play on potato for some sharpness but its all blurry only at 3000x3000 gets better but the fps is butchered lol,only game that works without PP is actually red dead 2 with a few shadows crosseyed but otherwise works great idk why.

I can’t remember, but I remember not being able to play GTA 5 real mod on the Largest FOV without the view being completely out of whack.

2 Likes

Sooo, while there are still a few days left on the Steam winter sale… Have any of us tried the Horizons Zero Dawn mod, and if so: How was your experience with it?

More on the matter of the game itself, I always thought its world looked really nice and colourful, but the gameplay looks like it’s tons of rather stressful and drawn-out combatting, which I must say is straight unappealing to me – I don’t suppose I could be truthfully reassured otherwise? (EDIT: For reference, I dropped Hellblade like a stone, despite finding the environments and story telling compelling as hell, because I absolutely detested the controls and gameplay.)

scrolls through the store page

Ah! “Teardown” - now there’s one I’d love to try, in VR of course – too bad with all that world destruction physics and raytracing, VR “grade” frame rates are way out in the future, for it.

1 Like

This is true,I think it is still an issue, but now that @LukeRoss has a Pimax maybe it will be solved.

1 Like

I just picked the game up so that I’ll be able to play it with the mod. Haven’t got the mod yet though (probably pick it up when the Cyberpunk one is also released since I bought that game during the sale also). I have played the game for a few hours so far and have found it to be really good. the story is really interesting and the world is really nice and colorful as you say. However the gameplay is a lot of combat and I suspect that it will get rather “challenging” the further you get into the game. If you really don’t like combat much then it might not appeal to you. In the few hours I’ve played the combat hasn’t been difficult yet but I’ve spent a lot of time exploring in the starter areas so the enemies are still easy. I’m not sure if you’d be able to get a feel for how “stressful” it might eventually get within the 2 hour Steam refund window because the main storyline build-up is a slow burn. It is a very good game even without the VR so far though, so you might want to at least try it out anyway though.

3 Likes

Thanks for the comprehensive and well thought out answer. :slight_smile:

Since I’m kind of getting even more ambivalent, I guess I might drill down a bit further on the issue of control scheme, by asking if it suffers from the same … “console-itis” design paradigms as Hellblade did, with the painfully sluggish and authoritative game camera (wresting control away from the player), and the notion of “locking on” to enemies?

I suppose these sort of things are necessary concessions, to make many types of 3D games possible to play with thumbsticks (I can’t stand those things, on a whole, I’ll admit), but when porting to PC: Why not take advantage of the affordances of a mouse… If I can look around freely, and snappily, and move around and attack freely as well, then maybe I can manage at least a little bit of hectic action… :7