Linus Reviews Pimax

There must be a lot of Linus lovers here or something? Are you guys adults or kiddo’s? afraid of someone review?
Let me tell you what sad about you…you base you opinions and decisions on some guy review…That is as stupid as all those magazines that review games and give scores to games.

What the Fck do you think is gonna happen with a review score if you give a RTS player a game that he has to play that is Sports?

How many times i have ignored reviews and found good games. Same with movies. How many times i have watched movies that scored high and were bad as fck…

Let us get this straight once and for all , on this planet we have 7.5 billion people.
We had at least +5000 backers for this project.
Linus has nothing to do with that nor can he even affect that shit. You think whole the world is looking at his channel?

If i remember correct this is the same guy that was always pro intel, clapping his hands with joy when intel made 4% better processors, it took him what? 7 years to finally understand what the fck intel is doing whole the time? after ryzen hit the market suddenly you see the 8 and 12 cores coming out from intel. You see people who get their stuff from companies are not neutral in many ways. You honestly think they gonna keep sending him stuff if he makes it a bad review? The guy knows it too if he would find a product 90% crappy he would still talk about the 10% good stuff and end his video with inserting maybe 1% bad stuff.

All parties happy in this way, he get his views, the company get his sales, and you …lol watching a guy that sells out for free stuff.

The only reviews you can trust are off people who buy their stuff with their own money.

And this is v2 why are you so upset Linus people. He won’t affect anything, The majority of this planet will hear faster about pimax 8k then theywill know who this linus guy is LOL

Peace out

3 Likes

I have to second this. You want to send Linus your absolute best. That guy has influence bigtime with early adopters. Most people have never heard of him. Most early adopters have.
Luke Lafreniere is the one with the Linus Media Group that knows VR. He is actually the one you want/MUST get hands on on a fully functioning model. In fact I would ship him one of your earliest CV1s ASAP, free. If it’s not polished, he’ll know, but he will also know what the value of what you have accomplished is.

1 Like

Are you sure you know what a CV is?

I dont think anyone here was relying on Linus to tell them if the headset is good or not. Besides he is the only one reporting of motion sickness? Maybe he has a tiny IPD or somthing

Its all about exposure/word of mouth. Not many people even know Pimax exists so exposure on a chanel like tech tips is a good thing

3 Likes

This is actually the main issue. If you search for “NEW VR headsets” “VR 2018” “What VR to buy in 2018” Pimax just doesn’t appear, its all Rift / Vive or the new HMD from Microsoft etc.

Exposure is what they need. For Pimax to become successful they need to deliver a solid product. Not above and beyond, but simply what they are promising.

2 Likes

I suspect some people here are just knee jerking to the review without watching it. Linus may not be the most knowledgeable person in any particular field but you cannot deny he has come into contact with A LOT of tech in his time.

Moreover, whether you like his demeanor or not is a moot point, he has tonnes of subs and has player groups in many games.

His video was more than fair and his criticisms always came with the repeated disclaimer that he was reviewing a V2 which he himself said had been roughly handled by a previous reviewers.

He ended his review with glowing plaudits, exoectations for the release product with a caveat that it’s probably and for the better going to be delayed.
He also pretty much stated that an experience like this would ruin you for the current gen of headsets and that he could no longer heartily recommend current gen products in light of this…

From Linus, re VR, that’s as big of a compliment as you’ll ever get and his fans will know that he is not brushing Pimax away lightly.

All in all, a surprising review from someone occasionally known to be harsh on bleeding edge products.

4 Likes

With four times the visual field stimulating your visual cortex, ANY motion will likely be far more likely to cause nausea than in the current 100° Devices.

Remember that many current games handle nausea by vignetting down to 50-60°. This is far more likely to be exacerbated with such a wide field of view.

1 Like

I thought the review went well and Linus clearly stated all the pro’s and con’s and that it’s prototype. He summed it up with being a massive improvement over 1st gen headsets

I was the one who recommended Pimax go to Linus a few weeks back. The videos had 1 million views in 2 days. 25,000 likes. Nobody in the comments is bad mouthing them

Hopfully Pimax will have time to rise up to the competition

Thinking about Linus comment on the ghosting on Space Pirat Trainer, and because no user got to get a space ship out of the station in Elite - I think we definitely should get to see somebody independent experience Elite in space with movement to see if the high contrast kills the 8K in terms of suitability for Elite. If this is an issue, it almost certainly is related to the display tech and will not be resolved easily/at all with the CLPL displays.

@Heliosurge: is this something you could follow up with them ?

1 Like

They could but might not be relevant as i mentioned Linus’ review is quite late upload as at Immersed on the v2 they were already using vive wands. & with them now on v3 prototype or v4. Testing on the new prototype would make more sense.

Fruit Ninja being high color & deep blu should have showed ghosting with rapid head movements.

@SweViver might be better to ask his opinions on Linus’ review. Especially since we know his & vrkommandos reviews are newer.

Just watched the video. I thought he was pretty positive actually. I think the nausea he experienced is most likely due to wrong IPD, since just like the Pimax 4k, the lenses can’t be moved on the V2 prototype, which induces nausea for sure (I felt sick after 5-10 minutes using the Pimax 4k, until I decided to cut out and move the lenses to correct IPD).

Apart from that, he’s quite positive. Really hoping Pimax can get the IPD going correctly because this really is going to be key.

Yes, hardware IPD correction and also better lenses and higher refresh rate should be in final release, so these problems will be probably fixed.

Well they will be in the final design but the key question of course is going to be how well it will work. I’m still not sure IPD adjustment is as trivial as Pimax said it was, because the panels don’t move so software corrections need to be done. But we’ll see, it’s really a key component so I’m hoping Pimax is going to get it right

…but, we’ve seen the IPD adjustment, people have tried it, we know it works, and the lenses do move.

That’s V3, where did you see that ? AFAIK nobody has tried it yet

1 Like

they have to move like vive lenses does

Ah now I get you, I made an error above, I meant ‘panels’ where I said ‘lenses’. Corrected it now.

Still, nobody has even tried V3 so we don’t know how well IPD adjustment works.

but we have v3 review on this forum

2 Likes

Hmm I haven’t been on the forum a few days, I must have missed that. Which thread ?

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the whole assembly moves, panel and all, just like with Oculus Rift. Not totally sure, you can’t tell from the video, and Pimax hasn’t said anything either way to my knowledge.