Linus Reviews Pimax

I actually thought the review was fairly positive. He was extremely impressed with the FOV and resolution increase. The distortion and motion sickness issues were his big complaints and those issues are likely already fixed with V3. The video really doesn’t matter right now because the kickstarter is already over anyway. The real test for Pimax is going to come when the kickstarter units are released in the wild. That is when the real truth of the headsets quality will be known and will drive how well their commercial release is.

7 Likes

Even if I think sending for a “FULL” not controlled review a V2 PROTO was an error. I give the guy a break here… Pimax send a “scratch and taped” V2 full wired kit with 2 HDMI. In this Apple/Samsung Era with every tech product (even demo) flashy and slick any one doing this could be canon balled :wink: The points he made are valid but deliberately verbally over demonstrated. The positive point is that he clearly acknowledge that Pimax is make a new standard here if they can deliver a viable product.

I don’t think this review was a bad thing, he seemed to give a very balanced perspective, said the fov and resolution were great and caveated his concerns by reminding that it’s a prototype. I shared many of his concerns with the v2 I tested but thankfully v3 solved many of them. I’m still most apprehensive about them getting the refresh rate /framerate /gpu saving technologies figured out such as ASW and brainwarp since that was the biggest thing I noticed v3 still needing improving in. We shouldn’t shy away from criticism as long as it is valid, it will only motivate pimax to fix the remaining issues before they ship what will hopefully be the best vr headset in every way when we get them.

5 Likes

The review was balanced, and fair based on an older V2 model. There were enough disclaimers about the early prototype status that the criticism was not overwhelming. If I was just learning about Pimax 8K through this video, I would seek out more information and become interested from here. I think it benefits Pimax for this video to be seen by many people. The video should have been released sooner however as the review is now for an older version of the prototype.

@VRGIMP27 OK so I just watched the video. I think at the end of the day it was extremely positive for Pimax. Linus made crystal clear It was a early prototype and had taken a beating traveling the world. He even explained twice than the V3 had improvements

Anyone serious about VR will be looking further into it

The video has 15,500 likes /400 dislikes
400,000 Views in just one day

If the kick starter was still open they would have had a bump from this alone

Good job @Matthew.Xu @deletedpimaxrep1 :slight_smile:

2 Likes

When i read Linus reviews the Pimax8k i didn’t want to watch it because i feared he would rip it apart but actually it was a fairly balanced Review based on a Prototype which obviously has it’s flaws we already know about from other Reviews.

After all i was backing this project mainly to send a signal to the industry that we want better HMD’s with better Resolution and a wider FOV for our PC’s. So in the end the signal was send and eventually i will be 1 of the first to get my hands on the next gen of HMD with all it’s Pros and Cons.
I simply hope that Pimax can iron out most of the problems they face at the moment and deliver a solid product which makes at least some fun to use.

2 Likes

If this video is launched before ending of campaign. May have 2 results.

1. We still get money more than $4.2M because we have more viewer.
  2. We may not reach $4.0 stretch goal if people feel negative.

In case 1, we don’t get much benefit becuase there are only $500,000 for available pledge if not include 5k full price.

So I think may be this is better from late of video.
Not sure that this accident cause by shipping process or anything, but pimax should beware this situatuon in next time because video launched after campaign is not useful, people will ask how to back the project and feeling fail.

I think it can be useful even after the campaign so more people besides of VR enthusiasts know about Pimax. It is good that he spoke well about positives (big FOV, no SDE) and if negatives will be fixed in final version and new reviews confirm that, there will be lots of demand for Pimax.

A big FOV with a distorted image that makes you nauseous, and there are people who find this to be a positive review…

He clearly mentioned it is a prototype. It is now up to Pimax to make better final version.

4 Likes

yeah but he tested the v2, the v3 corrects that distortion that was reported in v2 so im generally ignoring his distortion issues.

I did not notice him saying that. Where did you hear it?

For me this review arrives out of time. Analyzing a v2 prototype when there is a better and more modern version.

The only thing I’m worried about is that weird red mark across his forehead at the 9:45 mark…Not sure if that’s just a natural wrinkle from his forehead scrunching though.

It si probably from where the headset draws your blood. You know, it cannot run just on thin air, besides, we do not know with whom else Pimax has partnered :smiling_imp:

I wonder if “Unbox Therapy” gets his hands on one at some point too.

I thought this was a good review, hasn’t worried me at all. He was critical at first but then blown away by the new features.

I think it would be naïve to expect that an LCD will ever match OLED, but at this point in time, this is the best we are going to get.
Also, it’s perfectly possible that we will have to get used to a new level of nausea. Vive made me sick as a dog at first but I just persisted and now I’m bullet proof.

3 Likes

the thing to keep in mind as well with regards to lcd refresh rate is that brainwarp will effectively halve the perceived delay

lmaooo so flippin true

no no no, we shouldnt have to get use to nausea at all, if the vive doesnt get me sick, the new gen ones shouldnt

2 Likes