LCD panel type?

Hmmm I was just looking at the V2 FW and I found this string:

while in the V1 it says:

Eh… Samsung 2k ? Pimax, you didn’t, did you ? Are you guys selling a 2k panel as a 4k headset ? Please tell us that’s not true :slight_smile: @PIMAX-Support

Though it would explain:

It also would make sense, since there’s currently no hardware out with a Samsung 4k panel (that I know of at least). And if there was, I doubt they’d sell it that cheap in order for Pimax not having to raise the price.

Wow that would be quite a scam …

I’m not selling my V1 just yet :wink: But let’s wait what Pimax has to say before jumping to conclusions, maybe there’s another explanation. Then again, why would a programmer name a config file for a 4k panel a 2k config, that makes no sense …

EDIT
Hmm the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 had a Samsung 5.67" AMOLED panel … would it be possible that Pimax bought refurbished Note 7 screens that Samsung wanted to dump ? And is now selling them as 4k headsets ? I always wondered what Samsung did with all the Note 7 hardware. Selling it refurbished to Chinese hardware manufacturers, that might be a very good explanation.

Please give us a good explanation @PIMAX-Support because there’s something VERY weird here:

• mention of 2k Samsung panel in the FW
  • Higher SDE than the V1
  • Pimax keeping the switch to AMOLED quiet, which normally would have been a huge upgrade (if it was 4k)
  • No info on the internet on an 5.67" 4k Samsung OLED panel being sold.

Oh dear.

This would be another blatant disregard to their consumers but this time it’s bordering on el scamalot tactics and can put them in an world of hurt from consumers who may have been duped.

Also, what is sonic_4k?

Mine utilizes an Sharp 4K LCD Panel.

Yeah not sure why they named it ‘sonic 4k’ but it’s the name they gave to the configuration for the Sharp 4k panel (like V1 indeed has).

Well it would damage their name horribly. It would be a scam, who would trust this company ever again ? We already know that the Pimax 8k is not really 8k (but half of that), but what if it would only be 2*1440p, so not even 4k ?

Let’s wait for an Pimax response, silence would seal the deal in my view but I’ll refrain judgement for an while, we know how long it usually takes for them to respond against difficult questions.

Well normally I’d agree but in this case the signs, like I pointed out, are really quite obvious… I’d be highly surprised if it would turn out they actually used an 4k OLED screen from Samsung and then just kept silent about it (while it would have been a HUGE selling point, just rename it v2 and raise the prise $100). There’s also no info on such a panel being sold whatsoever on the internet. The higer SDE sounds really suspicious and then the mention of ‘Samsung 2k’ instead of ‘Samsung 4k’ in the FW, well… I’d like to refrain from judgement too, but man, the facts really stack up against them here. If it looks like a duck, swims like a duck, and quacks like a duck, then it probably isn’t a 4k OLED panel :wink:

I think it is a mistake of the producer or the seller.
Now look at the pictures posted on the Korean trading community here.
Here in Korea, the name of the pimax 4k is called V1 and V2 before and after the lens center blur problem.
Currently, only V2 is sold, and 4K letters are blue.
BE is also sold, and 4K letters are red.

In other words, it seems that someone mistakenly put OLED Pimax in the blue box.

I’m not sure what you’re saying Crony. Above also was mentioned that the blue letters are V2, just like you’re saying. It now turns out that it has an OLED panel and most likely is just 2k. Are you implying that this is a standalone case and that normally V2 had a 4k panel ?

Also, I’ve downloaded the official V2 firmware and that firmware has the name Samsung OLED 2k in it. So I highly doubt this is a mistake. I think it looks a lot more like fraud. An extremely stupid one though, how do you expect people not to find out about it ?

I wouldn’t be surprised if this turns out the be the exact same panel as the DPVR E3 has (it also has a Samsung 2k OLED panel). Selling it as a “Pimax 4k” though, that would just be fraud, plain and simple. You’re selling a 2k product and label it 4k. It’s like selling a car with a 2L engine and tell people it’s 3L.

1 Like

I understand what Crony means. Being an assembly it is possible that during a product change over that some parts on the line were not removed completely. Resulting with some headsets being made with PiMax BE componets.

Which also if you look at the Amazon.com site it pictures the BE model well describing the 4k being sold.

As for firmware these forums serve all pimax customers.

Best to wait on a response as let’s not forget the resolutiin debate we had about steam’s reported render resolution.

It doesn’t make sense at all. Why would the V2 FW state Samsung OLED 2k ?

But yeah, let’s wait for a response before starting to tell the whole world about it, start mass class action lawsuits etc, there’s still a theoretical possibility that there’s some other explanation and this is all just a very unfortunate misunderstanding.

EDIT one possible explanation actually might be that these are fake imitation Pimax headsets. It still wouldn’t explain the String Samsung OLED 2k in the official FW though …

I could be mistaken but i remember there seems to be 3 serials for firmware. One 4 the 100 series one for 102 & third i believe was 106?

Maybe i am wrong but do recall there was some1 that neither firmware worked n needed a different one that support provided.

The BE model would require a “2k” firmware; this could also be why the serial change the 2 could be representing 2k model.

Either way best to give them an opportunity to address the discovery before scrutinizing any further.

The front panel as with @crony pic does you 102 serial the Pi symbol with the hot wheels flames?

Now i have disassembled my headset again and triggered anti take apart twice but now i have more picture of headset internals. there are no shutters just clear glass glued between lenses and display panel.

Main board it self looks like it could work with other displaypanels too. it even have connector for shutters undeside of board and some other not in use connector top of the board.

this board can be flashed wit 100 firmware (display will not work) and it shows serial number starting with number 100. so wrong firmware will change start of serial number to matching witch firmware is flashed on board.
i need to use modified 100 firmware to reset anti take apart and then flash correct firmware to make it work.

last 2 pictures are from displaypanel ribbon cable. panel its self had on markings on it.

I am sorry but I do not have good enough camera to make comparison video of 100 and 102 picture quality.

2 Likes

Awesome pics. If you look in other hmd discussion @VTS made a wicked compare video between oculus/vive/deepoon e3 & pimax 4k.

Checkout his video as the E3 may have same or similar oled panel.

Here is a link to that post

http://community.openmr.com/t/pimax-competition-other-hmds/1327/199?u=heliosurge

I take half desent picture from screen
first picture is from 102. this could be same panel with e3. picture look little like it has been printed on fabric.
but like i said earlies this headse has basicly zero ghosting. maybe every 102 uses this screen???

and second is from 100

4 Likes

How about drift? Is still there? And lenses blur on edge?

Your camera is still awesome enough! Still need to await @PIMAX-Support response. But does appear to be a mix up at the mfg facility. As your serial 102 definitely appears to be the oled BE model which uses qhd oled screen (2160x1440).

I would theorize a mix up during product change over.

slight drift and pictures are slighty blur on edges.

serial on box matches serial on device. so box in theory included right glasses.

funnny thing is that i bought these 102 glasses earlier than 100 glasses.
so its like you buy glasses and see witch one you get. feels kind of mess.

1 Like

100 and 102 no difference, only screen? Same lenses, same FOV, same slight barrel distortions? Same ipd settings?
And please, check latency if quick turn head left right same latency? Is important.

Sorry to butt in here but it is more than likely they are now using the Pimax BE hardware. 2K OLED

I contacted Zozovr back in May asking for details. Will cut and paste email below. They were wanting almost 500 USD for their model. If Pimax is now a 2k headset the deepoon E3 is looking more like the superior option

Hi David,

Thanks for your prompt reply. Please find the bellowing answers by return:

a. BE version is 2K OLED screen same as Oculus CV1 & HTC Vive did, instead, PIMAX 4K is 4K resolution LCD screen. OLED screen perform much better on afterimage issue solved, for which happened usually on LCD screen material, PIMAX BE will be a better choice if you buy it for business used.

b. PIMAX BE have to work with piplay software from pimax official website and we are their partners to present pimax product to global market.

c. It is 1.4B HDMI cable to PIMAX BE and 90hz reflesh rate (for 4K version it is only 60reflesh rate)

David, would you mind to let us know what kind of business you are running of and what will PIMAX BE work on?

Jeff (Sales Manager)

Company: ZOZOVR CO., LTD.
Add: Room 1601-1605, Building 2, KEYUAN High-tech Park, Nanshan District, Shenzhen City, Guangdong Province, PR China.
Tel: +86 155 0759 0238 Email: sales02@zozovr.com

That means while serial matches it was packaged in wrong box & shipped as the 4k model where it should have been in the BE box. See @crony pic. Also front plate is not BE plate.