LCD panel type?

This would also be a good one to have sbs video through the lense comparison.

Where did you buy it ? I want to buy it too :slight_smile: But I do need to know for sure they’re not sending me V1.

Man why didn’t Pimax tell us about the improved new version ?

I also wonder if V2 comes with shutter glasses ? Since this is an OLED panel it would make no sense ? If they come with shutter glasses I’d remove them first thing.

Now I understand the need for different firmwares btw :slight_smile: Obviously this is a whole different panel so different instruction code is needed to configure the panel.

And would this new V2 support HDMI 2.0 ?

I would theorize they would keep the shutter glass as i believe it serves a few purposes.

1. brainwarp (the shutter effect i believe can serve to emulate more frames without needing to render them) i think this is why the BE model says upto 150.

2. longer run time without nausea/fatigue due to “nano” breaks (eye not continuously staring into lit display) Gamers often forget to blink. Lol

Well in V1 it clearly serves a purpose: it ‘cuts off’ the blur. In an OLED panel you wouldn’t really need that.

I’m not sure what you mean with brainwarp btw, but I don’t see how you can emulate more frames ? Your argument about nano pauses might be valid though, not sure …

But given how the shutter glass deteriorates the image, I’d surely take them out. But maybe they’re not even used in V2.

I have no idea witch hdmi version it is.

if shutters are panels between display panel and lenses and are conected to bottom of the pcb. there are no shutter.

maybe i make comparison ideo of those tomorrow. ido not have great camera though.

that (maybe oled) headset is older than sn100xxx version. i orderred them 2-3 weeks earlier than other.

i was wondering why people complain ghosting. when i got other ones it become clear to me :slight_smile:

Can you make some more photo’s ? Maybe there’s some more info ? I see some printed text on the ribbon cable for example ?

Also, where did you buy this ?

I asked Gearbest if they’re selling boxes with red letters or blue letters :wink: Let’s see what they say.

Think of the advetised up to 90.

We know the panel is limited to 60 fps. Now add the shutters.

The math is likely wrong. (maybe even the theory)

So if the shutters pulse 90x a second the eye will see 90 fps even though there is actually only 60 real frames. Now of course this warping effect needs to have balances & such.

At least this is my theory based on the advertised specs online.

But there are only 60 frames. I don’t see how this would improve anything.

This is intriguing, now, how would one go about acquiring said headset? Wonder if insisting on the Blue “4K” font box-art would suffice.

Haha yeah that’s the thing, how to make sure you’re getting V2.

Think of it like a 120hz tv vs a 120hz gaming monitor.

The tv uses a frame doubler where as a gaming monitor is 120hz input while the takes 60hz & as i said doubles it.

So in simple terms if after the image is displayed the active shutter pulses twice the displayed image appears to be refteshed/ displayed twice.

The BE model advertises up to 150hz. Do we have any oled panels with a 150hz @ 1440p?

Like i said if my theory is on the right track its more or less an optical trick to simulate higher refresh.

Yea, and is the font on actual HMD blue?

Last thing one wants is for them to pull the ole swictharoo.

1 Like

But doesn’t the TV interpolate those extra frames ? That would make sense. Otherwise I don’t see any advantage of just drawing the same frame twice.

Hehe all this speculation about Samsung Note 8 having an OLED 4k screen and that that might propel the industry, while it now turns out (or at least seems to be the case) that the pimax V2 already has it ! Haha.

I just wich Pimax had informed us and told us about the changes, I’d have ordered it right away.

Thats the key. In the headset case its not drawing new frames. The blanking from the shutter however takes a frame and your eye perceives extra frames. As we know the panel can’t do 90hz.

But the shutters could create the effect of 90hz. Remember oculus/vive say you can’t have vr at 60 as it will create vr nausea.

So the active shutters creates the illusion of extra frames. Just another method to work around the lcd limited 60hz.

Oculus & vive can achieve the 90hz warp in a different manner i suspect with using dual displays.

In the case of the tv its interpolating/copying a frame and displaying it twice. Which of course is one of the reasons tvs are cheap compared to a computer monitor. When i first hooked up my computer to my big screen was annoyed i couldn’t set refresh to 120. Lol

I think nausea is caused by a combo of framerate and image fidelity. I actually read this on, I think, that Korean website telling us about the new highres samsung gearVR. It makes sense though: if the image is not clear it’s harder for your brain to get a grip on what it sees, causing more nausea.

EDIT "Experts agree that resolutions should be higher than current levels in order to solve the ‘realism’ and ‘nausea symptoms’ pointed out by VR devices. " (from that Korean site: [단독] 삼성전자 '멀미 안나는' VR 내놓는다…초고해상도 OLED 탑재 추진)

So my guess is that the Pimax causes less nausea then the Oculus, because of the higher resolution, even though the frame rate is lower.

@rrrokkaa also said above he saw no shutter glasses in V2. We’ll see though but my guess is that he’s right and that it makes no sense to put shutter glasses in an OLED headset.

1 Like

Indeed so many factors. As with my theory based on the advertised up to 90hz its more of a mind trick.

@rrrokkaa if you could with your oled try out Time Travel in Piplay. Press f and frames will show in the headset. This will tell us with the oled if it has higher frames being oled.

In th V1 the shutter glasses are between these 2 parts:

In the pic I’ve removed them though. But they’re on top of the part that’s in the lower half of the picture.

1 Like