Kickstarter 33 update: 8k+ possible or 8kx update?

I agree I was hoping we got 90hz since it’s supposed to be the golden standard of VR, but then you see that the last two flagship headsets from Oculus are 72hz, so it doesn’t seem to be so much of an issue, but I wish they had achieved it.

1 Like

a shame the pimax founder is punished for his decision to free the 5k+ from the lab before the kicksarter project ended
in his interview at the berlin meetup he said that they had internal “talks” about that and he decided to make the 5k+ a offer
i’m very thankfull he did and i’d even switched to 5k+ without the 100$ for accessories, since the gearvr mod of my vive i know that i prefer clarity over sde (much stronger sde with the gearvr lenses)

pretty sure there might be a 8k+ if a fitting display falls into there lap but i would not count on this, if the anx7539 and new displays widen the price gap between 5k+ and a potential 8k+ and the 1440p signal limits the resolution then you might not see that much difference that people hope for
so aiming for lower price with the 5k+ seems to be a good point
my guess is r&d goes into the 8kx with anx7539 and better displays and there might be a 8k+ from that experience but if that ever will be good for a product is to be seen

kind of hard job for the marketing people not being able to take the “8k” label for better resolution and quality, we know the r&d team is good, lets see how creative the marketing devison is

7 Likes

both your and delphius’s posts are fantastic tbh.

2 Likes

I see I’m not the only one thinking that!
http://community.openmr.ai/t/should-i-change-my-8k-for-the-5k-plus/7833/27

For me the 8Kx is the promise to fulfill but the 8K+ is the next product to make!

To thread in general. Anyone can knock over a strawman. If you describe your own position with nuance and rationality but make out any divergent position to be a nonsensical cartoon you are not doing anyone any favours. The people who want an upgrade want an upgrade for reasons that are rational to them. The people who don’t think it should be free/happen have reasons that are rational to them. There is no 2 and 2 = 4 answer here. There is a field of rational end positions, and arguments that can pull people towards any one of these endpoints.

I think they should call it 8K+, end of the problem.

If 8k+ will be released sooner or later why not give option to backers if they want to wait? I prefer to wait because i dont have bases and controllers and in one year everything is released and maybe there are new tecnology to the 8k+

All these people demanding free upgrades from the working and excellent 8K are kind of out to lunch. No company can afford to keep carrying backers who are already paying an excellent price for their kits (especially with the backer extras) to keep getting more free stuff or just wait and ask for newer and different products.

My personal guess is they will eventually reward backers with $100-$200 off some future HMD product’s retail cost, as a thank you for backing them early.

8 Likes

Can someone please name their band

:ok_hand::pensive::ok_hand:

I love those conflicting emotions, quite powerful!

1 Like

My position is that Pimax must do another iteration to make a 8K+ definitively better than the 5K+ but if Pimax send good quality 5k+ and 8K headsets ( +accessories) to backers they have fulfilled there KS obligations. Like FatalXception said this campaign must end someday. The only exception to this is the 8Kx.

In a Kickstarter campaign we paid for the first development cycle of the product advertised in the campaign this cycle is almost completed for the 8K and 5K+. A theoretical 8K+ is not related the the KS campaign so I don’t see any obligation to Pimax to offer us something. If they do it’s great but if they don’t, they don’t…

8 Likes

The price of new tecnology in 1 or 2 years will be the same that new tecnology is now. if they do new 8k versions they will sell for the same price and lower the old. I just prefer to wait. im not asking for a loaner and i said the possibility to pay for upgrade now and wait.
I just dont no what to choose :stuck_out_tongue: some people says that 8k screens are horrible, other says its good but not so good like 5k+. but the 5k+ has black that that i think will notice everywhere. Some says that distortions are tolerable, spanish people says its intolerable… so i jut prefer to wait for a new more matured 8k headset.

Yes, the KS promised comsumer priced Gen 2 HMDs, they are delivering that now, and without them we would have nothing even on the horizon.
They are to Gen 2 what the KS for the DK1 was to Gen 1, except they have done it a little better I think.

Still not sure what to get, but I would look forward to being able to buy a Gen 2.5 8K+ in the future, hopefully non-fresnel based. Also probably before either of the big players get their wide FOV to market, they will only trickle out upgrades as they are forced to by competitors.

1 Like

The oculus connect seminar was talking about pancake lenses & not hybrid ones.

@twack3r took care of the posts. But yes folks need to relax.

The update said you will get options on future versions. Meaning in all likelihood cheaper than regular consumers. We need to stop wanting info now on future events.

3 Likes

All 3 headsets will have pros & cons. The 5k+ & 8k are no different. Each of the 2 has been cited with pros & cons making each better for different case uses.

@yanfeng @SweViver @VoodooDE @mixedrealityTV all have stated both sre great for different reasons.

Yes folks are more likely to buy the chesper headset; Windows Mixed Reality has demonstrated this.

So depending on release price many will buy the basic 5k over the other 2. The only competition to pimax atm has not gone higher than 5k in fact StarVR has decreased resolution.

The 8k & above will be morr for the folks with top Gpus as the testers even reccommends.

Hmmmm…

I’m going to go with the 5K+ myself and that decision has nothing to do with price or GPU. The clarity of the 5K+ is the selling point for me. I’m willing to add some SDE for more clarity. As told by the testers… the SDE on the 5K+ is still less than that of the Samsung Odyssey with better clarity. I personally never had much issue with SDE on my Odyssey though I wish it had even more clarity… I like to read gauges on SIMs and little texts on menus, etc.

2 Likes

@Jam-gino
I don’t like your position at all. If pimax would agree to your claims I would doubt their ability to run a company. If they get in financial problems there will be no future pimax headsets. No accessories to spend our coupon on. No wireless adaptor. No customer support.

I want them to be also successful as a company because I belive they have the right mindset for making awesome VR products.

First we want our kickstarter prices. Then this kickstarter must end. And then I hope they make a looot ooof moooney! :slight_smile:

(And grow a little bit. It’s still feeling like a startup.)

4 Likes

Occulus did give free CV1s to their backers and is one of the leaders in VR currently.
Because they’ve found the right partners, so sending a a bunch of supplementary headsets in this case wasn’t an issue.

The fact remains that there’s some disapointment about the 8K, that we are several peoples wanting to move to the 8KX or the 8K+ and allowing those who want to move to a better headset would be greatly appreciated. Doesn’t means it has to be free or right now of course

I wouldn’t trust a company not being fair with it’s investors, or unable to propose a headset proportionally good to it’s price and it’s not at all what Pimax is doing

I too believe that Pimax has the right mindset for making VR products, and therefore will make a lot of money. But the right mindset isn’t about promoting the 8K and that’s very clear ( everyone wouldn’t be so confused about choosing between the 5K or 8K if that would be the case, Pimax also stated that the 8K wasn’t their flagship headset anymore )

As for the “growing up comments” I find this attitude so condescending and arrogant
from someone who isn’t even making VR headsets… It really shows little respect

The story of Oculus was a quite different one with some 2bn $ and backers that had a real reason to argue, not sth like oh I thought it would have been bigger difference to the next second best…:scream:

3 Likes

Not attacking but this would help my mind and a lot of other people as pimax statements don’t really exist, where have they stated that as it’ll lock in my discussion to go 5k+ if that’s pimaxs priced baby.

i wish there wasn’t the 5k+ vs 8k battle with little to no one having both to compare

1 Like