Kickstarter 33 update: 8k+ possible or 8kx update?

@industria and @NickDBaker please amend your posts and refrain from insulting forum members.

If you don’t, I will.

8 Likes

@Jam-gino and other people that hide under the rest of the community to make their claims, leave us alone, you represent no one but yourself, that’s cheap populism, of course you’re free to ask anything you want, but just for yourself.

About the statement itself, this really supports choosing 8k IMHO, since any upgrade on the 8k would be logically cheaper than if you now choose 5k and accesories, that or choose 5k but don’t speed your extra 100 yet until we know what they mean with that statement.

Still, it’s great to see that they will they will have options for current backers with any incoming upgrades, i have supported other kickstarters like GPD WIN and they never gave any kind of discount to backers for new console revisions, so it’s really good on their part since that would be costly for them.

3 Likes

Upgrades hmm but they are not talking about ugrades but about new version.
In others words,it could be special price on the new models for backers, lets say, maybe kickstarter price or something like that…

1 Like

If you refer to Mike Abrash’ presentation at OC5, he was supposed to say that “Oculus themselves would not consider Fresnel lenses above 140° FOV”, not that it is not possible to do.

3 Likes

If that’s what I meant.

I didn’t know how to explain myself well.

Thank you

2 Likes

I also believe this is about a new or revised version upcoming and being offered at a discounted price for backers, cool thing and I also have not seen that before in a campaign like this.

I remember that there was a scaler update to the current version for first half 2019. add a new display with better PPI and may be support for 90 and 120mhz and that would be awesome. And that in a 8kx Version that can support native resolution and optionally scaled.

Edit spelling

1 Like

There are people who are annoyed because pimax has not fulfilled many of the proposals of its KS, from the frequency of the displays of the 8k, to leave in the background what was believed to be the star of their hmd ( 8k).

On the other hand there are all those who do nothing but applaud, the so-called palmeros, who besides being happy about the policy of Pimax seems bad for other people to suggest or give their opinion.

Gentlemen, give your opinion and do not be disrespectful.

3 Likes

I’m not getting caught up in the above. We’re all brothers and sisters here, all Pimax fans and on the same team. Guys, we are on the cutting edge of VR. We are all awesome and we help each other out where we can. Go team Pimax!! :slight_smile:

Re: the original post, yeah I found that bit really interesting. Personally, I don’t for one second think that 8K backers should get a free upgrade to the next version. But what does excite me is the hint that they may well be working on a better version and we’ll get discounts etc when they do. So if there’s a possibility of a 8K+ that is really cool, and I think therefore I may well go with the 5K+ knowing that a good upgrade will be on the way soonish.

So my question to Pimax would be… are you looking at perhaps making a 8K+ some time in the future? Although I appreciate you may want to answer this Q, now that some people will start demanding they get that instead…

5 Likes

Perfect post @sk1, that should have been what I should have wrote. Damn I got caught again just like you said.

3 Likes

@Pimax-Support @PimaxVR @deletedpimaxrep1
Returning to my main theme.

I don’t ask for 100% free change.

We will assume shipping costs.

We can hold on with the Pimax 8k version and then make the change to the 8k+ version.

It’s similar to what happened with Pimax 5k a 5k+.

The difference is that this time we assume the shipping costs.

The same goes for those who have sponsored the Pimax 8kX.
(They receive today the Pimax 8k and in the future will be replaced by the superior version 8kx)

In case of change of new lenses etc… I am willing to pay the corresponding.

I’ve been thinking for a while that if there is some major limitations with the 8Ks that can’t be rectified in software, Pimax, being the gracious souls they are, will probably offer some sort of path towards a more perfect 8K for it’s loyal backers.
It’s been a long journey and they seem to appreciate their backers not only for their money, but for their patience and feedback. Pimax seem to take their goal of making a next gen HMD very seriously, and we all have surely helped them get this far. I believe that it was the great success of the kickstarter that helped them secure their ‘Series A’ corporate investments.

However the 8K being the flagship, and having the flaws that it does, isn’t an ideal situation for the company or their vision of an uncompromising next gen HMD. At the same time, the delays have been long enough, and Pimax wants to get these products into people’s hands. They may well know what they need to change in the hardware to make the 8K’s as good as they wanted to from the start, but the materials needed may not be ready just yet. In 6 months, this could change.

It could be as simple as new lenses that can be swapped at home, or more complex, like sending our HMDs back to Pimax for a more serious alteration. They could replace our 'M2’s with an ‘M3’ and give the 'M2’s to their enterprise clients. It may or may not be free, but bottom-line: as they reinforced in the kickstarter update, they intend to reward those of us who took a chance on them.

This is why I’ve decided on sticking with the 8K with it’s better blacks and colours. And that update has reassured me further that if they find a way to ‘clarify’ the 8K’s image, they will. Free or not.

2 Likes

Jam-gino, are you from Spain?

3 Likes

Does it influence anything in the country that is?

I don’t think it’s decisive in the country where the proposals or comments come from.

1 Like

I just curious, that all.

PS I love Spain, BTW, beautiful country.

the 8kx is still a R&D lab project
seeing that (presumably) the displays of the 8k will not be a option for the 8kx, the upcoming anx7539 (with scaler) and that eye tracking might be best if already integrated (i really see problems when trying to fit eye tracking modules into a wide fov headset after market start without sacrificing something)
you cant expect any numbers, like dates or prices and in consequence there will be no “refined” offer on that for 8k backers

pimax has still the 8kx backers and they might loose money if they give them a version with better displays (later) and under this point of view its understandable that they dont want to increase the number of 8kx units

the 8kx was all the time a experimental thing and as there is no binding date attached the 8kx might get a 2020 delivery date at some point, i guess it depends on what starvr and acer are doing in 2019 and how the market develops, if the market is already saturated with 5k+ and starvr then it will be hard to sell a 8kx(+) in late 2019, so more time to improve and wait for the new GPU’s in 2020, there might also be a new and faster display port standard by then, simply to much if’s

1 Like

I really think we need to stop saying things like the 8K has flaws or is problematic. I’ve been vociferous in my criticism of Pimax over the 90Hz issue (which I’m still a little peeved about) so am definitely no Pimax apologist or fanboy. But I can clearly see that Pimax have done an incredible job and the 8K is a resounding success!! They have done BRILLIANTLY!

If 5K+ didn’t exist noone would be complaining AT ALL about the 8K. It’s great. The issue however now is that they have offered a very different sort of headset with a different pixel pattern and some people are preferring that pixel alignment and the native sharpness that goes with it. This doesn’t mean there’s anything wrong with 8K, it’s just that to achieve that resolution it has a slightly different pixel arrangement. So what? It’s not a failure. If you don’t like it, go with 5K+. The 8K is still great. Pimax don’t need to make any apologies at all. They don’t owe us any upgrades.

We owe them for being brilliant pioneers in the VR industry and achieving something AMAZING. HTC and Oculus can go f*** themselves with their stupidly backward and expensive systems. Pimax are leading the way and we should be THANKFUL.

11 Likes

Indeed, 8k is successfull product and the only reason people complain is the choice between 8k and 5k. Like always pimax did a great thing giving them one option, but people are still looking for reasons to complain or demand anything.

3 Likes

The fact that there is no clear flagship between the 5K+ and the 8K makes it a bit of a marketing problem.
The 8K is supposed to be the better model (not counting the limited-run 8KX), but the minor differences between the two models will reduce the buyer’s decision making process down to price.
The 5K is cheaper, so most people will buy that when they hit retail. There will be a surplus of 8K’s because it’s more expensive and not necessarily better. I doubt Pimax wants this.

Therefore they would want to improve the 8K eventually, so that the market has a clear distinction between the “good/cheaper” product and the “better/more expensive” product.

And, appreciation can go both ways. We do appreciate what Pimax is doing for VR, and they surely appreciate us for allowing them to do it. So no, they don’t OWE us any upgrades, but I believe they will want to improve the 8K’s and might also want to thank us at the same time, as long as the cost for them to do so is reasonable.

7 Likes

I can’t argue with any of that. Good post.

Yes I think Pimax have landed themselves in a bit of a pickle here and I’m not sure why!

They should’ve just released 5K and 8K as planned and they’d be hailed as heroes.

Then later they could release a retail 5K+ version and make a load of money from it. Some 5K backers would upgrade. Even some 8Kers would decide to buy (I would) and they’d make good profit. Then they’d work on a 8K+ which would just be better.

For some bizarre reason they’ve given us an upgraded version of 5K which is on par with 8K and confusing matters massively for everyone… I don’t think this was thought through properly. Apparently the 5K+ screens are dearer than the 8K screens. And despite no upscaler the 5K+ is actually a heavier unit, so again, are the Japanese 5K+ screens better somehow in quality and also is the 5K+ dearer to produce? It probably is. It doesn’ t make sense that they’re offering the switch AND some refund. But it is what it is - they’re an honest bunch of people who want to give us the best they possibly can. I’m very impressed.

I have no doubt they will have learnt a lot from this and will produce 8K+ and other HMDs as time goes by.

5 Likes

From the last update, that mean.
I guess Pimax no more money to give you free upgrade or more option.

There are only discount option.

Example if next gen headset should have 799 usd, but may increase to sell at 899 and give discount $100 for old backer.

Then wait 1 year to decrease to $799 to have the original price.

That is money and crisis management.
May they balance between less profit or cash flow and give us the offer.

1 Like