Just received it from aliexpress

Hello.
I am new here. :slight_smile:

I receiver yesterday the artisan from AliExpress. It took 3 weeks from the initial order to my home in Canada. It s not bad at all during this covid time…

I can’t compare it since I come from a HTC vive.
But the first impression is very good. It s a huge step forward, and everything is so clear in il2, all the instruments are very clear. Actually I am very surprised. Going to sell my track ir :slight_smile:

The comfort kit has been sent separately by the standard postal service , so I am still waiting for it.

I just have a concern about the ipd.

If I measure my ipd with a camera and an app, i have 57.5 if i look at the caméra, 59.5 if i look at something at 3m, and 61.5 if a look at the horizon outside.

If i set the hardware to minimum with the screw, both of my eyes are at the middle of the lens, at the sweet spot. So in hardware I am at the limit but I am ok, and if I set the ipd in the software to -10 (60mm) everything look clear at long and middle range. But I have the feeling, it could be better at close range with 59.5.
I see sometime the ipd is at 59.8 then going back to 60. Is there a way to force the software to go under 60?

Also, because my ipd is low, it s very uncomfortable for the nose. But I have read somewhere that the comfort kit solve this problem, so I will tell you later :).

Do you think the das is a must go, or I should wait for the dmas? Or just the comfort kit with a good 3d headset?

Thank you.

7 Likes

So, You spent $469 + shipping and got it in 3 weeks. Damn lucky man. :slight_smile:

Hi Mirage

Welcome to the Open[color=orange]MR[/color]!

Unfortunately there is no way to force the hardware ipd lower. Just the software ipd offset to fine tune ipd.

Congrats on receiving your Artisan! @Ludiks alsi has an Artisan, 8k & 8k+. He has some great youtube videos abd can likely help out with some questions.

3 Likes

Yes, they are fast, they have it in stock.
Don’t understand why some people are hesitating to buy it from AliExpress. It s a Chinese headset anyway.
All the good fun hardware, pimax, vkb, frsky, DJI… Everything is on bangood or AliExpress and made in china. Actually they are now leading in research and development…

1 Like

Hope they will allow to go a little under 60 in software, even if it mean reduce a little the sweet spot.

1 Like

The software ipd has + and - offsets for left and right eyes as well as individual up and down offsets to fine tune with.

It will not change hardware shown ipd value though.

1 Like

Yes it s a vertical offcet.

I have seen also that the smart smoothing is buggy with steam vr.

There is also a small fov. I don’t what is the angle of the small fov. Pimax is not talking about a small fov for the artisan, but there is an option for it, reducing the fov. Don’t know if there is a fps impact using it.

Tried to play with fixed foveater rendering. I don’t see the difference.

Fraps is not working in vr. Have to found a way to see my fps to make some optimisation, because for now I kill my 2080ti with only a supersampling of 150%…
Maybe it s because I have the render both on the helmet and on my screen. Is there a way to deactivate the screen?

That’s great news to my ears. I ordered mine 10 days ago from Aliexpress (to the UK) so hoping only another 10 days to go but we’ll see!! I have a sneaky feeling that Pimax themselves are the suppliers behind the Aliexpress store and that having the two outlets (their website and Aliexpress) gives them flexibility in some way.

Anyway, I’m also coming from an original Vive so your good experience is exciting.

Have fun.

2 Likes

Actually, I don’t have anny controller. So I open steam vr, then open the game from pitool.
Sometime it create conflicts and maybe have a performance impact…

Is there a way to emulate a controller with mouse and keyboard?

Sorry, I am very new in vr :slight_smile:

1 Like

Actually, AliExpress is like Amazon they are just the interface. The seller is Pimax VR Store, and I think the girl at the customers service is speaking on their name so I suppose she is working for pimax.

She sent the artisan in 4 days, after I had something like 1 week without tracking, then it took 4 days to go to China, japan, USA, then 3 to Canada, 1 more because of wrong postal code. So, a little less than 3 weeks.

1 Like

Mine has been stuck on “Despatched to UK” for 7 days now!!

1 Like

Haha. Yes. They usually do this. But, :shushing_face:.
Normally it s your responsibility to declare de true value…

1 Like

Yes, this is the first week without tracking, it s normal.
In the ups page they say between 7 to 11 days to have the first feedback. No, no stress :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ah, you went UPS did you. I just went EMS postage.

1 Like

No worries. There are some programs out there like Driver4vr and KinectToVR that can give some options for controllers.

Otherwise there are a variety of seated experiences where you can use a gamepad.

• WarRobotsVR (Free Mech Demo Game)
  • Distance (Driving crazy tracks)
  • Obduction (Puzzles First person)
  • SublevelZero (Descent like)
  • SkyrimVR
  • GunJack (Rail shooter)
  • Hellblade

And more just to name a few.

FpsVR is a great Overlay that can show you yor fps and gpu, cpu info and more great for fine tuning settings and under I believe $10.

FoV options is a way to fine tune your experience. Lower settings are likely to see gains in fps and allow higher quality settings.

Smart smoothing will vary from game to game on how well it works.

FFR will also vary effectiveness in games. If your using it and not noticing any negstive effects then it is likely working well and you may see performance gains.

Can you post your system specs?

Thank you for all the informations :).

Actually, I will use it mainly on a chair for sim use.
It s so strange to walk in vr. Ok, I should give a try :slight_smile:

For now I just have the headset without base and controllers. I need one at least, but they are not easy to found now. For the controllers I was thinking about waiting for the hand traking.

I have a ryzen 2700x with an Asus 2080ti strix.
Does the vr take more cpu than screen rendering?

Hi Mirage4, you have told us that you come from a Vive. I suppose you know it, but pimax headsets are compatible with lighthouse tracking and wands. Have you sold them? Otherwise, you can use them with your Artisan

2 Likes

Yes I know. That s why I am looking for a base v1 on kijiji. But, everyone want to keep them :), and they sell the valve kit at 3000 cad!

Actually, I bought a vive for my sister who use it for 3d art expositions (that’s why I have a ryzen, for blender rendering).
So she have the bases :slight_smile:

I tried the vive during 3 weeks then decided to go for a track ir instead. The technology was not ready I think.

1 Like

Driver4vr look very promising. We can find a Kinect for nothing (20$). Could be a very good hand tracking solution with a simple 3 dof controller in hands.

Only one game refuse to work properly.
Warthunder.
I can start it on vr mod, but I have an overlap on the picture. (I see two planes)
It look like I can also change de definition. It look like he don’t recognize the helmet so he is not using the native definition.
Is it something to change on the pitool software?

1 Like