It's stupid to make purchase decisions solely over how a graphics card LOOKS

https://forums.evga.com/This-has-to-be-the-ugliest-cards-i-have-ever-seen-m3079195.aspx

I just don’t get it. If a card was 300% faster than a 2080 Ti but looked like crap, I would buy it in a heartbeat. Like who gives a damn. Who are these people? :laughing:

8 Likes

There is only one Beautiful looking Card on the market

And an X needs an X!

4 Likes

Only waifu edition cards are worth buying! I’m waiting for the 3090 in this style before spending.

4 Likes

That’s not a consideration for me. My case has no window, so it makes no difference at all. That said, I actually like the nVidia FE versions, for the looks, but also for the dual exhaust (which should reduce heat buildup in the case).

Is it unreasonable that for the amount of money you spend, you’d also like hardware to look good in your tempered glass case?

I agree I don’t care much about the optics of cards, but that’s only because I rip off the cooler and replace it with a waterblock anyway.

5 Likes

We’d still like our waterblocks to look presentable though :grin:

3 Likes

Damn right! 20202020

1 Like

You’re right, it’s stupid.
There is so much that can be done, put a few ribbons on it, paint job, stickers, you name it. You’ll have a bad a$$ looking card in no time.

Btw, catchy title.

1 Like

Sure you can want it to look good. But I wouldn’t base my buying decision solely on aesthetics. Aesthetics for me are near the bottom of the list of things I care about in a graphics card. People who rank it as their number 1 factor over performance and durability is just silly.

1 Like

Well, aesthetics is a factor that can and probably should influence your decision, but definitely not the most important, let alone the sole factor that matters.

People just like to bitch and moan about things, let them have their little daily internet outrage.

2 Likes

For me aesthetics influences my purchasing decision in terms of the form. When I see 3 fans and a thick card, I subconciously think this must be a superior card. I just don’t view the FE cards the same way. They look weaker and more plain.

it’s not like they’re giving up performance by switching to a brand with aesthetics that matches their preferences better anyway.

1 Like

Well, then you infer performance from visuals, which is not a very good thing to do. These are things that reviews and hard data should cover. You are judging assumed performance from aesthetics, technically speaking.

1 Like

Well I take that into account as well as actual information about the card. I know which ones are OCed, etc.

For one, I do not care at all how the card looks.

Heatsink only makes a difference insofar as it affects one very specific number - the maximum power target the vendor feels comfortable allowing users to set (in watts) without connecting an external tool to ‘adjust’ the voltage regulator.

FE card cooling, driving air through the card, might actually be innovative. I wouldn’t discount it yet.

3 Likes

For once, I’m actually considering the 3090 FE card because of the cooler design and apparent robustness.

3 Likes

Don’t foll yourself about robustness. Any air cooled card at this point will have enough weight on the heatsink to be very concerned about breaking things or at least degrading the arrangement of cured thermal paste if the computer is dropped even a few inches…

… or even just sitting around.

Even if I get an FE card, I will be water cooling it.

2 Likes

Guys like randomfrankP and JaysTwoCents. He literally said on that 3080 unboxing that he was going to custom anodize a pc case to match the 3080 bronze color.

He also couldn’t get past the 12 pin splitter cable being at the top of the card. :rofl:

Some guys just sit there and stare through the window of their pc case more than they game on it

4 Likes

12189968_1

But this one is literally gorgeous…

1 Like

And very likely a disaster waiting to happen. I bought the highest quality AIO water cooler for my ThreadRipper, knowing I might likely have to replace it. Day one, exactly room temperature at idle, ~48C at full load. Few months later, high temperatures at idle, >>65degC load spikes.

The thing had an aluminum radiator.

Custom loop, all copper/nickel, clear liquid, clear waterblock, heatsink fins visible for regular inspection. Solid performance, no leaks, no corrosion, no problems. Haven’t even had to get around to changing the coolant yet. And if I did put any color in the coolant, it would be something to contrast with algae and corrosion, like a very faint blue tint.

Highest OC card. ‘Custom’ water loop. Anything else is a waste of time and money. I can’t spare either.

2 Likes