Issues with new PiTool and Firmware

I’ve spent even more hours on this. I did get my USB port detected (by following this guide: 5 Best Solutions to Reset USB Ports That aren't Working). However, I cannot get PiTools to detect the DisplayPort. It is connected. My VR was working great, until I installed the latest PiTool and firmware, so I urge you not to do that, until the bugs are straightened out.

I uninstalled my nVidia drivers, rebooted, and installed a known good version (which worked in VR in the past). That didn’t help. I’ve flashed my headset with several different firmware versions and I’ve tried several recent PiTool versions (uninstalling then reinstalling), with reboots in between. I must say, this experience sucks and I should have gone with my instincts and waited, but the new 1/2 framerate option was too tempting. Boy, do I regret installing this PiTool version.

[update]
I managed to get it working. I uninstalled PiTool, flashed the latest (separate) Firmware, uninstalled PiTool, and reinstalled the new PiTool. It’s working, even with the new 1/2 framerate option enabled. I tried that before, (without the uninstall) so I’m not really sure why it succeeded and can now find the DisplayPort which it insisted wasn’t connected. I hadn’t touched the wires in hours, so this has to be a software issue.

Elite Dangerous is quite smooth at 45 FPS (locked). I was even able to bump up a few of the in-game graphics settings. Even so, I regret installing the new PiTool. I spent at least 6 hours (probably longer) trying to fix these frustrating issues. I have limited free time, which I could have spent doing something fun.

6 Likes

I didn’t understand why it may be interesting to lock the framerate…

1 Like

My system cannot reach a constant 90 fps, instead it fluctuates between 70 and 50 fps, which looks a bit jerky. Locking the framerate to 45 yields smoother animation.

As a side-effect, I noticed that my graphics card isn’t always pegged at 98% utilization (it’s about 78%), it runs at a lower temperature (72°C instead of 90°C). The same effect applies to my CPU, to a lesser extent. That’s a nice bonus, since it will extend the life of my system.

4 Likes

Nice that you get it working again. do you set it in 90 Hz mode and half smooth? I can not getting it working right in 90 Hz ( start flashing constantly) only in 75 Hz I get it working right, I don’t know if it’s my GPU that can’t handle it… RTX 2080.

You mean Celcius, not Farenheit, right? Otherwise your GPU temps are crazy good :slight_smile:

I forgot that I installed the new PiTool. I started mine and it upgraded the FW this morning. Let’s say my heart stopped :slight_smile: but it went fine and I have the “compulsive smooth” option

Yes. I have a factory-overclocked MSI 2080 and 90Hz works for me, but I’m lucky. I have one of the few 2080s that can work in 90Hz. That might be because I bought it late in it’s lifetime. That being said, it flashed like crazy when I updated to the new PiTool, which is what started my frustrating journey. It’s possible that you might be able to get 90Hz working, if you uninstalled PiTool, rebooted, and reinstalled PiTool. I recommend PiTool 270 and either the newest standalone firmware or version 299. That worked great for me (270 and 299).

True. Thanks for pointing that out. I’ve fixed it.

1 Like

I’m not upgrading . Everything works at 90hz. Not messing with it👍 lol

5 Likes

Good plan. If it’s working why risk it?

2 Likes

Spoke too soon. On the second boot of my 8KX, I kept getting disconnects of the headset with 5s intervals. I read what Neal had put. Instead, I used DFU.exe to flash the new firmware, restarted the entire machine, and voila, all back to normal. I see the new options

3 Likes

Hi all…hoping to dip into the knowledge here on a strange problem I am having with PiTool v272 and Firmware v299. With this combination of software, I receive a 10600 error. I’ve tried just about everything that has been publicly suggested to troubleshoot these issues. By rolling back to a v298_Upscale_110kz.dfu, I am able to get past the 10600 error and have the headset detected. However, this is problematic for 2 reasons. First, it kills my base stations and in order to activate them, I need to pair and turn on a VR controller. I have never had to do that before. Second, every time I open the PiTool, the auto updater flashes the latest build of the firmware and I am back to the drawing board, requiring me to reflash the v298.

Does anybody have any idea why v299 will not work with my headset? I have tried the release build, as well as the build posted above in this thread.

Thanks in advance for your feedback. I’m in awe of all of your expertise!

EDIT: By the way, I have an 8KX and my system specs are:

Processor: AMD Ryzen™ 9 5900X 3.7GHz 12-Core
Motherboard: MSI B550-A PRO - ATX
Memory: G.SKILL Z Trident Total 64 GB Dual Channel Memory
Graphics Card:AMD Radeon™ RX 6900 XT, 16GB of dedicated GDDR6
Operating System Storage: 1TB Patriot P300 PCIe 4.0 M.2 NVMe
CPU Liquid Cooling: CLX Quench 240 Closed Liquid Cooler
Primary Storage: WD BLACK SN850 NVMe M.2 2280 2TB PCI-Express 4.0 x4 3D NAND w/ Heatsink
Secondary Storage: 4TB 3.5in Seagate Barracuda HDD
Chassis Selection: Set Eclipse P400S Mid Tower Black/Red
Chassis Fans: CLX Red Ring Fan
Power Supply: EVGA 850 B3 - 80+ Bronze 850W

1 Like

Okay my Screen ghosting issue is fixed by disabling “GPU hardware acceleration” on Window 10 display setting.

4 Likes

I also had this problem (more than once). I was able to fix this by uninstalling PiTool, reinstalling (the same version), and rebooting. It’s a pain, but it does fix the problem for me, albeit temporarily.

1 Like

@neal_white_iii Was there a particular process you followed during uninstall and reinstall? I’ve tried this too and it did not work for me.

No. I might have rebooted after the uninstall. You might want to try PiTool 270. I think you can keep using the latest firmware.

1 Like

What gives more functionality - PiTool v270 or v271 with firmware 298 or PiTool v270 or v271 with firmware v299?

1 Like

I had good luck with PiTool 270 and firmware 299. 299 will enable 90Hz refresh for 8KX with either PiTool version.

FW 298 does not have 90Hz support. PiTool 271 had the same “headset is not connected” issue that I’ve seen with the latest PiTool.

Ok so just to confirm the FW that comes with Pitool 272 which will auto update if your Pimax is plugged in is different from the downloaded FW you posted above?

If I do a SHA comparison will the files be different?

To save me from having to reflash.

Could I unplug the 8KX. Install Pitool 272

download the fixed FW 299 from above and replace it over the FW file in the Pitool Folder

then plug in my 8KX?

does 1/3 work at 72? so 24/72?

I believe so. you can try it see if its jerky for you.

I decided to update the firmware first before installing 272. According to PImax its Burying my firmware lol

5 Likes