Issues with new PiTool and Firmware

Hello,

Sorry that we didn’t state clearly on the patch note.
Have do a slight edit on the wording.

Regards.

1 Like

Hello,

Did you try to flash the firmware provided in the update?
We suspect you’re currently using the firmware that automatically update when you installed V272 Pitool.

Regards.

Hello,

Please keep us update!
We would love to hear some feedback from you.

This will definitely helps our ET team to find out the software issue.

Regards.

Hello,

Check the latest DMAS update that posted earlier on!
We are now shipping first batch!

1 Like

I used the google drive M299 firmware in the opening post. I tried briefly on the default firmware which was provided by the update and that was incredibly bad, I got microblackouts almost every couple of seconds. Improved significantly on the M299 firmware, but still not quite “flawless”. Upon some further testing it feels about even with my experience on the previous version of PiTool with the Engineering test firmware.

Edit for some further clarity. On the engineering test firmware, I would sometimes have sessions where I played for hours with no blackouts. But then I’d try again later and start getting intermittant microblackouts and screenpixelization for fractions of a second now and again immediately. The experience wasn’t consistent.

1 Like

My 8 KX is stuck in DFU mode …even after manually firmware update…I had to rollback to previous Pitool and firmware versions… At last working with latest update … testing.

1 Like

There might be light at the end of the tunnel though it’s (been) a long one… :slight_smile:

https://community.openmr.ai/t/dmas-update-september-24th-2021/37036

1 Like

Good to hear, will you be sending the tracking number to each individual who purchased the DMAS ?
I do not wish to pay taxes on yet another package from Pimax, that I did not know what contained. (Paid approx. 25USD in taxes for a facefoam and plastic hinges that should have been sent out 8 months ago) not doing that again Ever :rofl:

2 Likes

Hello,

The logistic team will share the tracking number via email.

If you encountered this, you may need seek assistance from our CS.

I do understand your feeling :wink:

Regards.

2 Likes

Great that they will share the tracking numbers.

I did seek assistance from CS team, they basicaly told me that I requested it and thus have to pay, no reimbursement due to pimax not handling their shipping in a timely manner (8 months)

I hope you do understand, and then contact CS to help them so they never do this again.
Ticket #18451

Regards
Martin

3 Likes

My problem mentioned in below link ( Steam VR error) wasn’t fixed in the new v272 & pitool.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/solved-steamvr-issue-cant-find-headset/36586/2

Temporal solution was to revert to v270. Is this still the only way?

1 Like

So after using the new firmware and PiTool 272 on 90Hz for 12 hours continuously during a VRChat play session today, I experienced 3 blackouts that lasted a fraction of a second each with several hours between each blackout which did not occur before with 75Hz, but overall 90Hz is stable and functional for long play times from today’s experience.

3 Likes

Hello,

For the mean time, revert to v270 might be the only way to resolve this.

Regards.

Hello,

Thank you for the feedback.
Any feedback on the new feature “Compulsory smooth option”, did you manage to try it out?

Regards.

1 Like

@PimaxQuorra do you know if they plan on releasing an update that flashes the correct firmware the first time?

I found the same thing here - Mainly DCS and IL2 only - It is much better than smart smoothing with less ghosting.:

8KX - RTX 3090 i9900KS @ 5.3

3 Likes

Hello,

Meantime, we have passed over the detected issue to our Pitool team, they would need some time to sort it out.
I’m afraid no exact time frame for now, but will keep you all update.

3 Likes

I see this has been reported already, but just wanted to confirm I had the exact same issue:

I tried the latest PiTool yesterday, which surprisingly updated my Firmware. Unfortunately after hours of trouble shooting I had to wipe it, reinstall the previous PiTool and return back to a unreleased beta Firmware from around 8-17 sent by Pimax.

Basically it caused a constant flicker on the screen at 90hz Native making it unusable, every 5 seconds or so half the screen (on eithe sides periphery) would “digitize”, almost like a digital army camo, in about .25 second flashes. Switching to 75hz Native fixed it immediately.

Going back to the previous PiTool and unreleased beta Firmware immediately got 90hz Native working again. I should add the previous files work perfectly with the very latest, recently released Nvidia driver and both the Beta and Official SteamVR versions. (Other than the occasional .1 -.2 second black screen flashes that remain an issue… not a game breaking one by any means, but still there.

** (I also added a WindSimulator to my racing cockpit blowing a stream of almost 30 mph wind in my face while racing - effectively cooling me AND the 8Kx. This has NOT reduced the frequency of those flashes.)

Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks! If you need Firmware testers, let me know.

I don’t see you mention manually updating the firmware as per the official post. If part of your troubleshooting was that then fine you can ignore me, but otherwise although it auto-updated the firmware to 299, it appears there is a need to manually do it with the firmware file linked in the official post.

No idea if the fault is the auto-update process or there is actually a difference in firmware even though the versions match??

Anyway, worth mentioning, as it’s worked for a few of us above.

1 Like