Is the eye tracking for foveated rendering?

One thing… Whichever option Pimax wind up choosing, I hope it is not only capable enough for use with techniques such as foveated rendering (…which I don’t imagine we’ll ever see in the form of a driver-level fix-all-the-games-automagically thing, btw - it’s not that easy), and hopefully not adding tons of USB traffic (e.g. ASIC or just dumb camera?), but also that there comes a change to the current situation with only one of the eyes being tracked. If the chosen solution is significantly cheaper than what they had available at the time of the kickstarter, maybe that could pave the way for an improvement in that regard.

At the end of the day, though; Even if all we get is Frontier Developments using it to augment the look-targetting in Elite Dangerous, that (EDIT: …particular one…) would be enough to make me a happy puppy. :7

1 Like

What are u trying to say? I already know what foveated rendering is. All I’m trying to say is that if you’re concerned about a flight sim or an fps being affected by the rendering in a negative way, game developers could simply render the area just around the other players a slightly higher resolution so you could still see them in your peripheral vision. And I doubt performance would take much of a hit at all.

I mean, maybe it would effect performance hard. I don’t know for sure.

Eye tracking can be used in several ways. Foveated rendering, feedback for adjusting IPD (inter-pupillary distance), interaction in games (target selection, UI feedback, depth-of-field, etc.), and probably some other things too.

2 Likes

Indeed pimax suggested just before StarVR One reveal they were considering exploring using eye tracking for Dynamic Distortion correction; now they shoukd definitely take this path as StarVR One has demonstrated this works well to resolve hi fov headset limitations with lenses.