Is the eye tracking for foveated rendering?

Is the eye tracking for foveated rendering to reduce the burden of the gpu? Or does it merely function like the hand tracking module i.e. for interaction with games? Or mouse movement?

So far people have assumed that it is for foveated rendering, can someone from pimax confirm please?

@deletedpimaxrep1, @PimaxSWD, @Matthew.Xu if you guys can confirm, that would be great.

2 Likes

I’m also curious. And more info about the eyetracking would be great.

The tracking module of the eye is not even ready, what kind of software can be a speech?

To me, it would be great if i can use it like mousemovement. If that works, everything else is also possible, just what a user wants or needs.

1 Like

it is for foveated rendering. However to be clear, it gives the headset the ability to do foveated rendering. Your game, gpu etc need to support foveated rendering and make use of it.

2 Likes

You’re 100% sure thats the primaire goal?

1 Like

Destraudo, you sounded very sure. How do you know that? Mixed reality TV just interviewed Ru Wang the marketing girl and she doesn’t know. @Matthew.Xu @pimaxswd @deletedpimaxrep1 can you guys confirm please?

What you are asking is how can you be sure that a car steering wheel is used for car steering. If you want to be precise and i hope this makes it clearer, the eye tracking is not for foveated rendering , it does not foveate the render. It is for capturing a set of data. That is all. One application of that data set is to make a character blush when you stare at them. another is to have ui elements in a game that respond to gaze. another is to use this data to stagger down render quality as distance from gaze increases. I am guessing it will be up to developers to make use of that data however it is possible that like the fove this would be handled on a device driver level which would be brilliant.

Guess I am not specific enough with my question. Even though it seems like you did understand my question on your 2nd last post, when you say “it is for foveated rendering”.

Let me clarify: will the eye tracking module be used to implement foveated rendering on the Pimax 8K? Maybe we should wait for the official pimax people to answer this one.

yep, i cant answer that. I just know that the data set makes it possible.

Fove themselves has stated they intend to have this feature in the actual driver level, so games othewise not able to have this would be able to take advantage of increased detail settings.

There is really no reason why a game would have to use one feature for the device drivers to utilise this data in-line with say positional tracking, Pcars or Elite doesn’t calculate the tracking, they simply talk to the runtime software that forwards they tracked data be it from Oculus constellation of Valve lighthouse

1 Like

I don’t think we expect anything concrete, but what the engineers intend to do with the technology is just as interesting.
I’m sure they can answer a quick feature list for the eyetracker module, even if that’s just some guys wish list.

1 Like

Yep, i would LOVE for them to say this is going to work at a driver level , but i wont get my hopes up unless they say it. If it does, depending on just how aggressive it is could mean nice performance bump

You said: “sure that a car steering wheel is used for car steering.” I agree, but i have 2 eyetrackers and i use both to replace my mouse (and it workes great). and i still can use my normal mouse.
Both eyetrackers works at 120Hz, minimal 1 eye, i uses 2 eyes (default) and is connected to usb 2.0.
The mouse-cusor goes where i look on my screen. When i blink my left eye, the left mouse-button is activated. And when i blink with my right eye, the left mouse-button is activated. I can also do others things (like zoom in or out) in the menu of the eyetracker. But this is the way i like the eytracker the most.

nod, but im guessing you are not talking about eye trackers on a hmd. with a hmd eye tracking is a holy grail of performance increase. The primary thing on anyones mind in game dev related to hmd eye tracking is foveated rendering. Its the use case that companies like the ones pimax is contacting to handle it have put forward. We are talking performance increase equivalent to generational leaps in raw gpu performance. To go back to analogy, you can do other things with a steering wheel, like honk the horn in the middle, but when it comes to eye tracking and hmd’s , in industry terms there is a very specific goal in mind.

https://www.tobii.com/tech/products/vr/

in any product or discussion of eye tracking for vr, the performance increase gets top billing.

1 Like

I see what you mean. And i also understand the reason why. Hopefully the user can make his or her own choice what purpose the eyetracker should have. I like flightsims and also fps. It would be very nice when we have the possibility to switch “the eyetracker-application”.

There would be no need to have it switch applications or make that choice. It’s a data set. That data set can be exposed so that it can be used for various things. It’s not like to do foveated rendering the process is locking up that so that it cant be used for anything else, its more like to do foveated its reading info thats in a book, there is no reason another application cant read that book at the same time and use that same data to do something else.

to give an existing example, the fove headset is foveating their render, but they have demo games that are using that same tracking info to have things react to your looking at them. Its not one or the other. Just like virtual desktop enabled wand support for vive , individual applications will be able to use the data to do many of the things you want.

FR can be used even without any eye tracking tech. With 200 FOV there is a lot of space to render in lower res.

1 Like

It could when released be used with foveate rending with the right software & game support.

Alternatively it could also be used for programs that support map eye movements to your avatar.

Agreed @Siberdt in the pimax render could be used as a basic FoV render like you said without needing in game support. Awesome!

What I want to know is whether pimax intended to implement foveated rendering? Never got a straight answer from them…

1 Like