Is the eye tracking for foveated rendering?

it would be exciting if they pick the Adhawk option and if it is as good as they said. look like no issue to do foveated rendering with it since latency is 10x better than traditional camera based one.

Doubt they will take the adhawk, they promised eye tracking, not foveated rendering

Modul is ready. Not for 8K but for Vive is on the market already and it cost 200$.
It is third part modul and Pimax will let third part to do moduls for Pimax8K.
Pimax policy is to focus on VR only and will alow third part to make modules for it.
Right now they have offer on table from same people who made Vive eye tracking module and they have some other offers as well so only reason it is still not done is because they are choosing better product but will be ready in time. As they say q2 or q3 2018.

2 Likes

Pimax will support Foveated rendering with eye tracking and rift is not. That is why Palmer Lucky trolling about FR.
With eye tracking and FR will be only way to smooth play in 4K per eye with today’s GPU so eye tracking for serious gaming likw in Star citizen, Elite dangerous, Il2 BoS, Some driving sims or DCS.
Only with full 4K per eye PD we will be able to see huge diference in small details like reading instruments in cockpit or spot detailes in distance which in CV1 is just melted with background and it was hard to see.
On superficial look and experiance most of the users will not notice that but after more hours of gameplay in VR and experience you got in spotting enemies in distance make you noncompetitive to people who play on monitors and put you in huge disadvantage. This start to annoying you more than PPD or SDE and make you frustrated so first wow effect of real 3D space soon wanished and it is only reason why some people abandoned playing in VR.
For games like Fruit ninja or Blue, games from 8K presentation even 5K is good model and they work good even on DK2.

Have you seen this module? Where is it, show us and developers how it looks. Maybe then you and the software for the module already, too? Feel free to show us.

I totally agree with Bennus. Pimax wrote in the letter:

Again:

That means the module isn’t finished, yet. They didn’t even decide which partner to work with. What some of you are doing here is only pure speculation. There are nearly no known facts what the features of the eye tracking module will be.
Only thing that is sure is: It will track eyes.

2 Likes

Correct, and this is why I would like to hear from Pimax, not any speculating backer, what they actually are looking to provide when they say eye-tracking. It is obvious that 95% of the users would only have any use for it if capable of foveated rendering (which may or may not have different levels of quality depending on the accuracy of the eye-tracking, I have no idea).
As it stands now, especially with it being promised to backers for free and no further clarifications coming from Pimax although it has been asked multiple times, I fear that it will rather be one of the cases where it is being advertised to tick a box on the user wishlist rather than give us what we are hoping for. Perhaps I am wrong but to me it seems that Pimax are just exploring this without having any deeper understanding yet as to the suitability of what they will provide for foveated rendering of any kind which would substantially reduce GPU load almost unnoticable to the user.

Well until they pick a partner you will have to live with my speculations. XD. I have been very grounded in what i have been talking about. I said clearly not to expect this to mean driver level foveated rendering but that it guarantees the ability to do foveated rendering. And it does, this is not speculation, it is reality.

At an absolute worst case scenario it means eye tracking that allows games which take advantage of that to do foveated rendering etc.

The reason i say this is that aglass, the company they initially reached out to has products for vr out in the market right now, and working playable demos for that product that do foveated rendering. Reddit - Dive into anything
But no magic driver level implementation.

Now if you would like to see some speculation here it is
http://www.aglass.com/ note the 7invensun logo beside a glass on the a glass website.

Note the logo at the start of this video.

My speculation is that you are seeing aglass being used in this video to perform foveated rendering on a game designed to make use of that data input.

Lastly.

Best case scenario is pimax integrate their chosen partners tech to the level that its fove like, driver level foveated rendering.

Anyone noticed how quiet pimax is in this thread? It is highly likely foveated rendering will stay in our wish list for a while.

3 Likes

I speak for myself, i do not want Foveated Rendering. I will tell you why.
Its because when i play a FPS game and i see on me screen (in the left upper corner) a moving pixel, i’m alert and ready to make a hit (when i’m lucky). With Foveated rendering i can not see whats is going on at a far distance on my screen right below. That could be the same in flightsims. That would kill me.
In RPG it could be very nice, but than you don’t need a 90Hz screen for that and is foveated rendering not necessary. (Just my thoughts.)
My english is not very well, but i hope you understand what i mean.

1 Like

i understand , and its cool. you wont have to use it.

@Yulius What they should answer you to your imagination?

If thats true, i hope everybody else does like FR. If i could switch FR off, i would be happy.

After all, in the worst case scenario, you just might have to remove eye tracking from HMD. However, I think we won’t see FR for a long time :frowning:.

“What they should answer [me] to [my] imagination?”
What are you trying to say here?

Its a modul & as such can be used or not used. As for how its going to be used? We will have to wait & see As PiMax has said they are under an agreement (nda) not to reveal details til its ready.

1 Like

You made me happy. Thx.

1 Like

Now we are talking about module for pimax and not vive

I don’t understand what here is not clear? q2 2018 is confirmed, Eye tracking is confirmed and risk level is low.
To me everithing is clear here and no need for further debate about it.
Maybi this risk level is confusing you. This is low level to not reach Q2 not to reach Eye tracking in general. Eye tracking is not questionable at all. Technology is already developed only question is who will be chosen in the end nothing else.

1 Like