Index after 2000 hours

I definetly don’t feel quite as bad knowing the grass isn’t neccessarily greener on the other side.

Funny how Valve gets a pass on this stuff though.

Note to Pimax: Pay attention to this part. When you release your controllers Youtuber’s will ditch their Indexes if they are better.

Also , what do you guys make of this part where he says you can extend basestation life by leaving them on.

I don’t know how I feel about that. But seeing that Pimax still doesn’t seem tobwant to send my basestations , it would be a shame if the second hand vive I bought just for the basestations died before I got my purchased ones from Pimax.

4 Likes

I personally have always let my basestations run 24\7 ever since getting them with my original Vive back in 2016. In all that time I have only had to replace one of them just last year.

1 Like

Nobody, including Valve get a pass for problems with hardware or design… but on the other hand even in this youtuber’s experience, he’s had quick and simple RMA experiences with every item that has failed due to wear and tear, even when he’s responsible for the damage (dropping his controller and breaking the trigger). Valve’s hardware is far from perfect, but they definitely win on the customer experience side (quick pre-receipt shipped replacement, and a paid shipping label for your RMA). Even when out of warranty, there are lots of stories of both free repairs and discounted repairs from users who’ve experienced failures they didn’t cause - Valve seem to be willing to eat a smaller profit, or even just take a loss to keep their VR customers happy.

For the point about leaving BS running or not, it’s probably one of those use-case scenarios, similar to a home theatre projector. Powering off the lamp and then restarting it is, most people say the equivalent of almost a lamp hour. So if you’re just going upstairs to make popcorn or something, you leave your projector on vs powering down and on multiple times a day. But if you’re going away for hours or overnight you power down. It’s probably not so stark with the base stations, probably something like, if you play for 45-60 minutes at a time, 2-3 times in an evening separated by breaks, then the power-off-on cycle of that might be worse overall than if they ran 24 hours a day, but if you play for 3-4 hours 2-3 times a week in a continuous block, it may be better to have them off for most of the week, with 2-3 power on/off cycles. Valve probably has the data now from all their thousands of system reports and failures and could release that at some point.

4 Likes

Hi , meet Anthony. lol and ease up on the Kool-Aid. :wink:

I was about to post this and says almost the same thing. (About hardware only)
:clap:

1 Like

Boy that was a long 43 minutes to get everything from what could have been about a 5-10 minute video. Definitely not my style of enjoyed youtuber. So ignoring the clickbait title and intro, and all the bits where he wasn’t talking about his point with the Index, I would say he has a few good and many poor points.

First off, I agree with him in terms of right to repair, and making things more consumer friendly in that regard. Parts ought to be obtainable for us or 3rd party shops to make or attempt to make repairs to broken items vs the current standard of replace and short planned obsolescence. Having said that, I doubt Valve will be the electronics company to start/buck that trend. Samsung’s the only modern major electronics manufacturer I know that makes it easy (samsung parts) and even others who do make parts, like say Sony tend to bury them behind official distributors and make it many step process, never mind lost causes like Apple. Most electronics manufacturers are still fighting against right to repair, and while it’s disappointing that Valve isn’t making parts easily available, it’s also not overly surprising when they’re not forced to by law. It’s also clear from reading support threads for the Index on reddit and the steam forums that many people have success obtaining parts from Valve when there is an issue.

Moving onto some of his arguments that any repair to wands is $300, as they require you send in both wands, or any HMD repair is $500 as they replace the whole thing, I can’t speak for if that was true at or just after launch, but that’s certainly not the case anymore. There are numerous posts of people getting a single wand replaced for drift, and I’ve seen posts of people getting them successfully replaced free even past warranty. As for the HMD, he notes they won’t even send out cables, something they do early now in the attempted solution process, even noted in the 2000 hours video that they did for him twice. As such, if those points were true at some point, they are no longer true now.

Then he goes on to how outrageous it is that the headset isn’t built better, and it would cost $500 to repair if damaged out of warranty. His examples are a puppy eating through the cord or a family member stepping on the headset and breaking off the earphones when it was left on the floor. I can’t speak for his household, but in mine, my 500 and 300 dollar electronic items are treated with care and consideration of their value, similar to my TV, cellphone, tablets, etc. Generally I wouldn’t expect a company to freely fix or replace items mistreated that way, although I would say it would be good if parts were accessible so that you could try a cheap fix before opting for an expensive one through Valve. I suppose if you’re the type to damage your electronics routinely through negligence it would be a bigger issue not to have parts available; however, people are able to get and replace some parts like cables, face gaskets, and even individual HMD speakers through Valve support.

On a personal, anecdotal level, having owned three decent HMDs over the past three years and two cheapos, the Index is still the one I recommend and show friends when they visit (well, not so much last year thanks covid), and while I show off the Pimax it’s not a recommendation. This comes down to the whole product experience, which has to include shipping and logistics, support, and software. While the Index isn’t really best in class in almost any single metric, they are usually sitting in the top handful for all the metrics, versus top/bottom performance that can kill the overall product in many other HMD cases.

5 Likes

I let them run and at about the two month mark both base stations failed.
I now unplug their replacements when not in use.

2 Likes

I do not know if it is still true, but the original design was supposed to use the hard drive motors. These are famous for very low failure rate when they are running and usually the power cycling wears them more. There are not just motors though, but lasers too and most importantly, the way how the bases are mounted can play a role as well. I can imagine that a weak (or no) mount can eventually, through vibrations, kill it as well.

4 Likes

A Very well thought out response. Credit where credit is due.

I don’t have to agree with all of it, but your intelligent response is respected as I can understand your argument.

I agree with you on the “recommend-ability” factor. If that was a point of comparison Pimax would be on the bottom. Only thing I would rate higher than Index on that list would be Oculus.

The only thing about your original response I took issue with was the implication that Valve had near-perfect support which I know for a fact is not true.

And it has to be noted that Pimax support has come a long way in the last few months. Unfortunately, a lot of people, even Pimax owners- don’t recognize that, or prefer to keep the Pimax hate alive in the VR community.

3 Likes

It’s a mixed situation. As there are still folks having difficulties getting really old tickets resolved. Until this is resolved it is difficult for those to see progress; if anything it can be more frustrating to see other tickets being resolved while theres feels left to the void.

Once these unresolved tickets are resolved people on a whole will see notable improvement a cross the board.

3 Likes

I kind of disagree with this statement tho to a degree, I feel most people here are rational and well educated, just a specific few who want pimax to have nothing but failure. These individuals don’t care about current improvements made to the software or hardware, they sing that old tune over and over, at every opportunity, about how pimax doesn’t care about customers, software sucks etc, but the reality is those areas do get improved and get better. They never talk about the new improvements, always just focused on how bad things used to be, some of them don’t even have a pimax headset anymore and never tried those improvement updates, but very quick to dismiss those improvements.

Unfortunately those are the most vocal bunch, not just here, on reddits etc creating hate on a daily basis. For me, those ppl are VR cancer, they are out to destroy ppl’s hardwork. They are just very loud but few in numbers. Most people here are decent folks who are just enthusiastic about everything VR.

2 Likes

Well I have been very lucky and have helped several friends get their 5k plus or 8KX up and running over the last year or so. I just had a friend who bought from a large retailer and had a dead pixel right in the middle of FOV and it was easier to return it directly to the retailer and buy another one vs the help they got contacting Pimax directly.
It is the litmus test of a company, IMHO on how claims are handled and it is how I have lived my business life making sure to go the extra mile.
It was very interesting about leaving the Base stations on as I have two of them (v1) mounted on the walls in front of my Sim pit. I had one fail but had a back up. They are both on a switch and I turn them off when not in use but it does make a little sense. Maybe I will try leaving them on unless I leave as I Fly DCS every day.

1 Like

Wow, that is a lot of things going wrong. I don’t think I have experienced much of anything like that, ever, certainly not with anything I actually kept using. <fine print> except SteamVR itself </fine print>

Anyway, something about my controllers seems to be causing my character in PavlovVR to stop ‘running’. Which is of course a problem. I don’t really want to trouble Pimax over an RMA, especially since it seems unfair with a left controller so worn down that the thumbstick shows 1-2mm deep ‘bite’ marks from friction around the base.

So I am wondering if I should expect that to get worse.

Aside from that problem…

Three out of four base stations failed rather quickly after arrival. I think the laser safety stuff must be way too aggressive, albeit I know well what 200mW lasers can do…

EDIT: To be clear, that is three failed base stations to get four working base stations, so actually 3/8 failures, and if a base station has been working without any problems for many months it tends to stay that way for as many more months.

1 Like

considering how expensive base stations are, I’m incredibly disturbed how frequently they seem to break for some people.

Mine have been working fine so far - (got them with a used vive towards the endo of 2019) but if they fail before my Sword Controllers arrive at least Pimax will have sent me my new base stations by then. (hopefully)

but considering that who knows when Pimax will finish those Swords if my base stations break before then , i might be out of Steam VR for a while. As I certainly would not be looking to buy more second hand base stations.

fingers crosed :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

At least if you have two base stations, you can still dismiss the popup menus and do seated stuff.

1 Like

This one reason I am looking forward to when Etee is released. Mechanical failure is always something of an issue with majority of Analog sticks; especially the smaller it is miniaturized.

I seriously doubt the capabilities of those controllers would have allowed me to do anything like the things in VR that put so much strain on the Index controllers in the first place.

good ol CV1 touch controllers still working to this day. on on the same pair of AA’s too :smiley:

1 Like

Guess we’ll find out as so far updates from the DeV has demoed being able to fully emulate IC functions. Of which while I know your disdain for Valve has been in part credited to SteamVR input configuration.

Only thing is that people generally find physical buttons and sticks more intuitive due to familiarity. However at one time people thought changing the cannon to motion type controllers might not be easy from previous attempts prior to the Wii.

So I am anticipating a learning curve. Much like many whom have not had experience might find Real Hotas controllers and specialty controllers overwhelming at first til they get more familiar with control layouts and features.