Index after 2000 hours

True some do better than others. However with Oculus abandoning the CV1 constellation tracking for inside out I imagine many are not using Cv1 controllers as much due to wanting newer headsets.

I still have ps2 and Ps3 controllers and 3rdparty ones that still work mint since bought as well as logitech ps clone like controllers.

However I might be less angry with my controllers when a game beats me; one friend would always blame the controller for being sluggish and take it out on tge controller/keyboard

I had to help him sort keys out a few times reattaching key caps. He didn’t seem to like it fir example in Street Fighter when I was winning. :laughing:

1 Like

Indeed, those had exactly the correct approach. Regardless of what Valve does, I think we will see the Oculus CV1 touch controllers, constellation, and things like that, again.

Leave the base stations on 24/7?!
That’s ridiculous!
First it’s gonna waste electricity!
Second this was not declared on purchase!
So unless Valve are gonna pay our bills, they should be forced to replace them for free due to bad manufacturing.

0.001(kW)*0.09($/kWh)*24(h)*365(d)=$0.7884/year

2 Likes

You use more power with your TV in Standby if not mistaken than a lighthouse.

2 Likes

More importantly, the ‘out-of-the-box’ experience of Oculus Quest is making other platforms noncompetitive. This has resulted in some seriously bad things happening even as games remain cross-platform for now. Onward in particular has changed drastically in graphics, and total newbies flood the servers daily.

‘Mobile’ VR is a race to the bottom driven by these inconveniences, which are all 100% traceable back to Valve, SteamVR, and to a much lesser degree MSW. If we don’t get more OpenHMD support, PCVR is on the way out.

_
@Heliosurge
Frankly I think bigo93 was merely trolling.

The problem is more ease of setup. Both Constellation and Lighthouse is not convenient for out the box. Oculus, WMR and others that are using convenience of things like inside out tracking that requires nothing but Hmd and controllers is a big win for novice users and experienced users alike.

Though depending on games and the users skill level these solutions are not as good as of yet due to occlusion and other tracking issues.

Lighthouses can be great once your playspace is properly configured but really not great for grab go and play on the Run. Ie grab a laptop, headset and controllers and your good vs adding lighthouses and tripods.

Imagine was just joking; however some areas of the world Electricity can be costly. As I know some friends in other countries pay for local calls by the minute. Where as in Canada and the US on a landline local calls are included in base monthly cost.

Oculus Constellation took less than 5 minutes to setup. Once the Oculus drivers were downloaded, everything just worked. No fiddling. Supersampling rarely required any adjustment, which in almost every case, could be done in-game.

SteamVR is a nightmare to work with, and so far even with working Lighthouses it has taken me several hours every time a new set was bought to get them working. Channels, sync cable, minimum distance to stabilize, and worst of all, the tracking starts lagging if the buffers don’t start just right and this often requires a full reboot of the computer.

If this idiocy is not solved, PCVR will not survive. Especially not with off-brand VR headsets. OpenHMD is the way to go.

So your saying it took 5m to route the wires to cameras all over the room?

Sync cables were abandon in v2.0 LHes.

Same issue for on the road Lighthouse setup except much worst imho. Both once fully setup and left setup not much hassles. The new way Oculus and others have moved to is much easier for on the go setup in comparison with very minimal hassle for setup.

Eventually PCs will be pushed aside for streaming services with just settop devices.

1 Like

@Heliosurge You might want to check my Discord server. I am working on some interesting tech.

Yes, indeed. Actually, I just put the cameras on the desk the first time, and did the brief ‘recenter’ thing. Then I stuck the cameras where I wanted - not the ideal layout and breaking Oculus recommendations no less - and they just worked first time. Then I moved them around for a while to get the best possible tracking accuracy/stability.

I thought that was bad enough that it would have been nice if Oculus told everyone the fisheye lenses made those cameras more sensitive at the edges (meaning a 3-corners layout is best). I was wrong. It was amazingly great.

LH has never been that convenient for me. Even when I have working LH units, if I have to move to a new room, historically, they have failed to work >20% of the time.

LH 2.0 seems more likely to fail overall, in addition to having to push a very inconvenient channel button while the LH is running, which really skews the mechanics. Does not inspire any confidence in them at all.

You really want that to happen? VR PCs have $2k hardware in them, and any kind of $300 device is only going to get relatively worse as semiconductor fabs are finally coming under unprecedented pressure to make all kinds of new chips.

Real-time video streaming has similar limitations. Sure some amazing things are becoming possible there, but 2x 4k/eye, much less 8k/eye, probably not so much for a while.

Not even to mention the reason I am not buying an Oculus anything anymore.

1 Like

Cool will checkout your server.

I have seen pros set up lighthouses in 5m in that respect as well & we know you can setup 1 LH although not ideal.

I have seen wireless camera setups that can track multiple users and trackers. Bur costly and hard to say how well they would work outside of tailored experience/environment.

There was also the place that hosted the German backer meet designed I believe for vr backpacks with inside out cams in mind.

Agreed the pin hole is not a smart idea when a button on the top or side would be more logical.

It already is happening and has been that way for a long time. Sony Bought Onlive Servers to that end. Nvidia has there server farms for is it Goforce?

HTC has already been trialing a settop box with HTC Vive.

And we have Google’s Stadia. And of course the in home Streaming with Steamlink and so on.

It is going to go that way whether we want it or not. Thin clients also makes DRM easier for software makers and of course ease of use with pure pickup & play.

Folks like us will becone the dinosaurs griping how younger folks have it easy not needing to know how to actually set things up.

1 Like

Been there, done that, myself. Just because it works on a given day does not give any confidence in the next. At both CES and the NYC Roadshow, I daresay world’s best experts - aside from the hardware/firmware designers of course - were constantly having mixed success from a large number of LH units.

There is a ‘trick’ however, to making LH units work on a roadshow. Bring a whole lot of them, ridiculously well packed, be prepared to use only one, and expect - to do ‘room setup’ lots of times, frequent headset power cycling, etc.

If by ‘folks like us’ you are referring to consumers like yourself, eventually, maybe. If you are referring to developers, doubtful. We need to create software on workstations, not gaming consoles.

Streaming VR at better than ‘Oculus Quest’ resolution/framerate is much more difficult than streaming desktop gaming.

Developers are likely to be suffering a lot of pain from this for a long time. So much, any ‘benfit’ from DRM is overwhelmingly less significant to actual programmers (as opposed to major game studios).

Developers will eventually only need ide vs a full setup. As your programs will be made to run on a server farm environment or a mobile device. It is coming and is going to happen. By Dinosaur? Yes you and eye are heading there as were already if not mistaken middle age or older. Remember when it was said Gui will never replace DOS?

We already have things like cricut designed with needing the web to use.

A testament to fundamental things not being replaced. Commands based on a small number of bytes are so flexible, GUI systems ultimately serve only to issue such commands. Also, my latest shell code project is over 15000 very long SLOC, is still growing, and is natively compatible with both MSW/UNIX. MSW sees a batch file, UNIX sees a bash script.

“Just an IDE” is going to cause some people a lot of pain.

The only big development for programmers will be designing firmware and special stand alone systems for things like vehicles and things that require a fully isolated systems(which will not be for gaming unless a peripheral.) Maybe for special production type systems.

Majority of things will just run off stream servers. Want a program? Just select it; it will just work with no install times etc.

Want to write a program? Launch your favorite ide from the service you paid for and maybe pay to add the development tool environment.

Only that part of the toolchain. All the subsequent steps are not nice pretty WebUI, and I should know because I went through quite a lot of trouble over my custom compiled ‘pcb2gcode’ binary, which I use to do photolithography fab ‘DIY’.

Yes it will be a learning curve for old dogs. New people it will be more seamless as they are not bogged down by old methods and ideas.

Seriously, you are dreaming. Such integration will never happen in a proprietary ecosystem, much less anything like SteamVR. I doubt Oculus Quest or game consoles even support multitasking, much less the kind of good InterProcess Communication (IPC) required.

Very naive. Fundamental computer science, UART… these things do not really change, and our experience makes us more adept, not less.

I leave it at that.

Nope your just choosing to want to keep things stagnant. Anachronisms eventually fade.

Don’t confuse your preferences as to why things will not have progress to move forward.

Not too worry many people out there have old obsolete hardware they still use.