Improve Lens Clarity - Pimax Vision 8kX - Lens Coating with Nanofixit

The AR coatings are on the glasses as they are AR Anti-Reflection Coating and Premium oil and fingerprint resistant (Oleophobic) as well as are spectra blue light blocking. The AR coatings are very important for scattered light. I see no need to coat them but the extra coatings should not hurt them (at least that’s what the packaging says).
The adjustable strap is works very well and slides in and out with ease; https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GJ2WKG8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I use these and they are very nice and comfortable and this is what I use now;
Gold Round Glasses #3224114 (zennioptical.com)

This is the first set that I removed the top bridge then ended up printing inserts for the 8KX;
Gray Aviator Glasses #418912 (zennioptical.com)

I removed the lens as they were sized for the 3d Printable inserts and glued them in; I had to modify them a bit but after using them for awhile I found I like the strap better as it keeps the lenses tight to my face and away from the Fresnel lens, and when I remove the headset I can see! Plus I have a narrow IPD of 60.5 and I can feel the plastic against my nose even after I did some grinding.

I am looking at these because they have large lenses also and look like they would work well but I have an IPD of 60.5 so that is a little limiting;
Black Aviator Glasses #3222321 (zennioptical.com)
Black Aviator Glasses #3223621 (zennioptical.com)

4 Likes

If you look at the packaging information for the “liquid glass”, it does say for glasses as extra protection and it “locks in coatings”. It is very easy to apply; (1) dust off loose dust (2) use cleaning pad to clean the lenses (3) Once completely dry apply the liquid glass in a circular fashion and completely cover the entire lenses. (4) Let dry at least 30 minutes - I let it dry 45 or so. You will see a light haze on the lenses. (5) Use the included microfiber cloth to lightly buff to remove the haze. You will see a nice shiny surface. I would let it complete full setup for a few hours before use.

1 Like

Nice.

By the way, our 3D printers are not much different from what would be needed to grind our own lenses - just add polish, spindle, and optical test fixture. I have built something similar before, and have been thinking about a dedicated DIY VR lens grinder…

Would be a nice upgrade to the 8kX I think.

1 Like

ROFL!!! Omg! Croakies!!!

First off, thank you very much for the detailed posts! They contain everything that I was looking for! Including confirmation that a proper pair of VR glasses will probably outweigh inserts, as far as practicality is concerned. It was a minor pia to have to keep finding my glasses when I was using my Vive with inserts. I’ve been sweating over just how narrow the frames need to be to fit into the headsets: my current glasses do, but just barely: nice to see that you’re using a ‘normal’ pair. Finding something like that shouldn’t be an issue.

Is there a reason why you are looking at frames that actually have the lens frame that goes all the way around? As opposed to the Round glasses that you mention, where the frame only surrounds half the lens.

I’ve been getting my glasses from Walmart: do you think that the optical quality of the Zenni lenses would be appreciably better? So far, I haven’t noticed any issues, but my glasses are usually pretty hammered by the time I replace them, so I probably wouldn’t notice much.

Btw, Croakies are available in a variety of different styles, the one I linked to is the original but it would NOT be suitable for this case. The material is made of a neoprene rubber (think diver’s wetsuit) and it grabs on things(including hair!), we would want one that’s more like what Sidekick1 posted.

1 Like

Be careful or you’ll need to start another business manufacturing those! :grin:

1 Like

I do not notice frames vs less frames personally as the glasses as so close to my face. But that is a personal thing so there are many frames that have no frames around the glasses. I would just recommend that you get as large of lenses as possible to put the edges out as far as possible for your FOV. Light and large! I do own a 5k Plus also and my 8KX has more room inside for glasses BTW. The sliding adjustments for the strap works very smoothly - no hair grab!

1 Like

Thanks for the encouragement. I would probably give any kind of manufacturing business like that to 3D Connected Printing, it’s a great fit…

“Give”…? Being their CTO that would make sense… :smiley:

5 Likes

Ah, you got me! :wink:

Yes, indeed it would make sense. I think being in a good place to get this technology out there is a great motivation to work with the team!

2 Likes

Did you go with the ‘Blokz UV and blue light protection’? I would like the blue blocker aspect, but my blue blocker sun glasses turn everything yellow!

Edit: Disregard. I found my answer in your previous post about the “AR” coatings. Thanks!

FYI, after my NanoFixit order fell thru, I tried this product on both my 8KX and the glasses I wear for VR sessions. I can’t perceive much difference, but it certainly didn’t hurt anything and may have indeed helped.

3 Likes

They do add a hardness factor and a bit less light scatter but mainly easier to keep clean. It is not dramatic but I wear glasses so every bit helps . . .

1 Like

lol But they have no problem shipping it to you.

You pass the Darwin test for 2020.

2 Likes

What about eye tracking?

The difference here is the quality of the plastic lenses normally will have small microscopic pits in them. This coating is so thin that what is does is help fill in the pits and gaps allowing a smoother optic, which is always better. Many of the eyepieces and photographic filters I use have muti-coatings to get the right wavelength through. They have to be thin and smooth so there are not any extra blooming reflections on bright stars. So far this very thin layer has made my lenses noticeably smoother and less scatter (reflections).

I know nothing about eye tracking but another optical surface between my glasses and Fresnel lenses would have to be nicely AR coated as each optical surface (front and back) can create a reflection. I don’t need eye tracking personally and am happy with my 8KX view in native resolution and the ability to move my head a bit :slight_smile:

1 Like

i still haven’t worked up the nerve to install eye tracking on the X.

maybe ill wait until the new firmware update and try it on the 5k+ first.

no point installing it if it doesn’t work

2 Likes

The surface of the eye tracking lenses do cause reflections… Much worse than the headset lenses do… :woozy_face:

4 Likes

you are totally correct. its another reason i dont want to install it. why add reflections if the eyetracking is not going be used.

if eyetracking worked as well as sweviver claimed back then the tradeoff might have been worth it.

I wonder if those anti-glare screen protectors could work on them

2 Likes

When it works it works well in my opinion, but it’s just not ready for prime time yet… :wink:

I was thinking the same thing (but just with the spray coating instead) but I think it’s coated to actually work (causing the glare)?

2 Likes

you should start a thread for eyetracking and games that work well.

im sure there will be one post for now.

I heard medal of honor is one of them.

what game are you speaking of?

1 Like