Improve Lens Clarity - Pimax Vision 8kX - Lens Coating with Nanofixit

Once sprayed and buffed, it is highly unlikely anything harmful will remain. For one thing, if any coating is left behind, it will be only a few microns thick at most, and will not be offgassing much.

Gasoline is probably just as harmful. The smell of gasoline is actually mostly the smell of benzene, and the airborne concentrations at most gas stations are considered acceptable. I didnā€™t smell that when spraying this stuff.

Liquid benzene, just like liquid gasoline, on your hands, is a much greater cause for concern. Avoid that.

I would not worry about it that much. Spray it close to the lenses, wipe lenses with one side of a rag, put the rag out of your play area while it dries. Should be fine.

3 Likes

Would a clean microfiber cloth suffice? I would probably throw it away after single use. Hopefully I wouldnā€™t need to reapply the spray too often to maintain the lenses in the future.

1 Like

Yes, but that is wasteful. I have found an old moderately fine fabric dishtowel works fine. Being so large, there is plenty of room for reuse before washing. And for my 5k+, I will probably be using Plexus Plastic Cleaner before or after every time I use the headset for roomscale stuff (sweat, grease, etc).

Do not use paper towels. Donā€™t know why, but the product is specifically labeled not to. Also do not use any cloth with any lint or that may be coarse enough to cause scratching.

2 Likes

The main reason I bought the Plexus cleaner is it seems easier to apply than the Nanofixit solution. Maybe thatā€™s just because your video is an hour long and I donā€™t have the patience to watch it all lol.

Nanofixit does sound much safer though. Wonder how effective one is vs the other.

1 Like

Both products officially should be applied somewhat carefully, albeit for different reasons. My video is excessively long because of my abundance of caution ensuring that if there was any benefit to Nanofixit, I would find it.

I suspect the Plexus Plastic Cleaner will be easiest and best, but I have yet to test applying it on top of the Nanofixit coating already applied to my 8kX. Since that is in theory a glass surface now, and the 8kX is so high resolution, it may be the ultimate test of the productā€¦

5 Likes

7 posts were split to a new topic: Benzene - Bad Life, Bad Stories, Bad Jokes :wink:

So the Plexus Plastic Cleaner arrived today in an Amazon package with no external warning labels attached to the package. I open it and there is a lot of empty space, The can is not secured. The lid was removed and I could see a black substance on the spray nozzle. Also thereā€™s a small crack on the lid. Clearly the package wasnā€™t handled very well. Either that or someone accidentally sprayed it and they had to repackage it.

Either way, I donā€™t feel safe using it. I didnā€™t feel safe even before it was going to be delivered after learning more about itā€™s toxicity. So I will likely dispose of it. I have an order for Nanofixit VR glasses protector instead which Iā€™m waiting for.

Also Amazon issued a refund after I explained what happened. They donā€™t accept returns of flammable material.

2 Likes

Wow. My package arrived in flawless condition. You might try ordering again.

If you take the can outside and hose it off, it should be safe. You probably took more of a risk already just handling it first.

5 Likes

FYI, beware of Nanofixit. I ordered a package back in Oct ā€¦ it never shipped and they did not answer numerous requests for a status update. I opened a dispute with PayPal and received a refund through them.

4 Likes

Iā€™m still waiting. I havenā€™t contacted them, but I really should.

1 Like

Yeah, Iā€™m waiting too. Starting to think I should file a dispute as well. Ordered 5 days ago and even paid for fast shipping.

2 Likes

Time to test the alternative products then I thinkā€¦

Finally used Plexus on my PRODUCTION Pimax Vision 8kX lenses, which already had the Nanofixit coating applied. Worked exactly as desired, significantly improved blur and chromatic aberration back to what it had probably been before doing any (albeit brief) roomscale in that headset.

So, Plexus just works, and works well.

That said, be careful with the stuff. I discovered another problem - it can get on the foam. Best to be prepared to let that dry for an hour or so at least.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s why you shouldā€™ve removed the face foam before applying the spray on the lenses. But anyways I already got rid of the can. My health is more important to me than lens clarity.

By the way, DONā€™T ORDER DIRECTLY FROM NANOFIXIT. They ignore my email too. Iā€™ve opened a Paypal Dispute.

@mrcabbage Should I immediately escalate the claim to PayPal or wait for Nanofixit to respond?

1 Like

Maybe. I might remove the cowling for this in the future. I am very concerned about messing up this particular foam though.

Indeed, your choice. To me, hopefully using a small amount of chemical with some basic precautions, reduces the health risks of eye strain.

Use some masking or scotch tape or 10 or so ā€˜post-itsā€™ on the foam to protect it while you spray?
Or perhaps a ā€˜coverā€™ that you can take back off and wash? -the link is just for example, I think one made for the Samsung might be a better choice.

I wear glasses and I use these watch lens protectors. The one thing that concerns me about either solution for people who wear glasses is that I frequently find that the lens on my glasses are pressing quite hard against the headset lenses. On my original Vive, I found that I actually scratched both my glasses AND my Vive lenses. Went to inserts on that one.
But if I cover the headset lenses with ā€˜glassā€™, Iā€™m pretty sure that I will scratch my glasses. If I cover them with the chemicals in the Plexus product, I would expect to scratch the headset lenses due to the thinness of the coating. Possibly my glasses as well.

I mention glasses because neal_white_iii mentioned a visitor having glasses.

edit: Note that Iā€™m using a 5k+ and I have no idea what effect those protectors have on ā€˜clarityā€™.

1 Like

I have one of those, good idea.

I am not really eager to apply another layer of plastic to the lenses though.

Without any evidence or testing one way or the other, I tend to agree. I would think that the extra layer of plastic would have an impact on the image.

How much, I couldnā€™t tell you. My eyes are bad enough that I ā€˜settleā€™ for being able to see, ā€˜degrees of clarityā€™ are reserved for others. If I could see better, Iā€™d probably be as picky as everyone else as Iā€™m a ā€˜graphics whoreā€™. Unfortunately, I wear ā€˜graduated bifocalsā€™ and, compared to that, the sweet spot in any these headsets is huge! I need to get another set of glasses for VR. I was waiting for inserts but it doesnā€™t look like thatā€™s going to happen.

If any of you have some extra money lying around and feel like doing some testing, I would imagine that others could use some information on just how much impact these lens protectors have on the image quality. I do consider them a necessity for all glasses users, if they want to keep the scratches away.
Note: these actually do ā€˜healā€™ small scratches like they were never there. Iā€™ve been quite impressed with them.

Having been around optics and telescopes (astrophotography) for many years (www.imagingdeepsky.com) Multi coated optics are a real thing. In fact, the special filters I use have very special coating to get the slice of spectra just right. These Fresnel lens do improve with the thin coatings of glass like this ā€“ Amazon.com: Liquid Glass Lens Protector Scratch Resistant Coating for All Camera Lenses Smartphone Cameras Eyeglasses and Sunglasses - Universal

I have coated two 5k+ and my 8KX with this and it works great. It also looks like it is the same formula as the other coatings that company makes. One kit coated several other things after I coated the Pimax lenses. There is some hardness factors that I am not sure Plexus provides (I have that also) that the silica dioxide (Si02) based products provide.

I wear glasses and have two 3D printers and printed some inserts with lens but I found a pair of Zenni optical large lens glasses with AR coatings and added an adjustable head strap to keep the glasses tight against my face. That way I can see when I remove the headset and they are more comfortable as the printed part touches my nose.

5 Likes

I agree, you do not want to change the focal length or the shape of the lenses - I agree the very thin coatings are the way to go.