Important news about VR Berlin meetup

Right , I forgot about the additional Pimax PSU

@SweViver @PimaxVR @PimaxUSA @Matthew.Xu

IBAND PLUS PROJECT

In one such test we discovered that the (micro-volts range) EEG bio-signal captured by iBand+ had a lot of electrical noise. This noise was the electromagnetic interference (EMI) generated by the innocuous looking DC power adapter/charger.

Normal admissible and safe EMI limits are around 0 - 2.5mG (milli Gauss) whereas the adapter was emitting over 400mG!

iBand+ in its current form will not function optimally for those users with high EMI in their bedrooms. Though we are happy that we have found this issue and working on it, we are very sorry to inform you that this will push back our delivery schedule. The manufacturing schedule will be re-planned in a month’s time after consultation with our manufacturer once we have addressed this noise issue in the coming days…

After several days of thorough analysis and multiple test simulations, our technical team has invented a robust solution to this issue. We can now precisely filter out the spurious noise from the EEG! We have even prototyped our solution using discrete, off-the-shelf electronic components and have successfully tested it together with our PCB as a single system. Check out this hand-built EMI suppressor, this messy looking add-on circuit that is piggy-backed on the iBand+ PCB

EVSCOPE PROJECT

In recent months, one of our biggest concerns has been electromagnetic compatibility (EMC). We previously mentioned issues in this area but were not aware at the time that they would turn into a big concern. In fact, until very recently we feared EMC would force a major redesign of several key components and generate a major delay. Fortunately, the workarounds designed by our R&D team worked very well during late February tests, which is why we will experience only a moderate delay. EMC also explains why this update is coming to you a bit late, because we wanted to be sure about the results of this fix. The good news is that we are now far below our emission limits and can continue with the industrialization process.

Should Pimax increase the length of their warranty for Pimax 8KX? LOL.

2 Likes

so they didnt fix the 8kx today?

I agree, living in Florida (the lightning capital of USA), I’m concerned as I preordered the 8KX as well.

Could it possible be that the electric issue in the building has been caused by 8KX ?

4 Likes

My thoughts exactly on this. It becomes obvious with their limited supply of the 8KX to demo that they aren’t shipping these out to customers any time soon. I’m expecting March/April…

3 Likes

No they could not fix it but it was still worth the visit.

Everybody had plenty of time for testing. It was possible to check e.g. a flight sim, Assetto Corsa, Skyrim and Elite Dangerous together with the 8K+ which was already impressive :star_struck:. The sharpness of the 8K+ is really an improvement compared to 8K, e.g. the cockpit in ED and the flight sim could be easily read. I could barely see any SDE even if tried to look for it. In my opinion it now finally has less SDE than the Pimax 4K. Distortions are a bit improved compared to the 8K and wearing the MAS with comfort kit which brings me a bit away from the panels compared to the 8K with thinner vr cover foams. The MAS is very comfortable, easy to handle but also a bit sweaty. They also showed the yaw vr motion simulator together with a roller caster sim which was quite impressive but also pricey. The eyetracking demos together with the 5K+ looked promising :+1:

Thanks @SweViver and the Pimax crew for the friendly welcome and their time and effort to set everything up despite the stress with the 8KX.

11 Likes

Since you tried also the 5K+ and 8K+, can you comment on the color and black levels ?

3 Likes

The eyetracking demos not contained black scenes and I not checked the Pitool settings so I could not properly judge that. But an existing 5K XR owner liked the black levels playing a dark scene within “The Lab”. Comparing with the 8K within Elite Dangerous black levels felt similar.

3 Likes

Who knows who was part of the fire fighter crew… :wink:

EDIT:
I use a APC UPS - which takes the Punch from all those electicall issues and protects my gear at home - but not good at mobile use cases….

3 Likes

Are you kidding me? Was this on a power surge protector? If it was I’m going to refund right now

1 Like

Power surge is normally secured by some fuse power boxes and by the power company itself, I thought.

Besides a thunderbolt hit I know no one that had ever problems with a power surge here…

3 Likes

It does seem quite disturbing that the pimax 8k-x’s didn’t survive it for sure. Hopefully they’ll find a way to make them more durable. Otherwise it’s going to result in even more RMA’s than with the 5k+ and 8ks …

This marketing disaster is typical for Pimax. They could be number one but always something happens…

2 Likes

Has the meet up happened yet?

Hope there at least learned something from that and can incorporate mitigation measures into the production headsets so they don’t implode at the first current spike if somebody switches on their electric heater in the wrong moment (which potentially includes all moments where the headset is connected to current…).

2 Likes

I have been administrating Schools in my early days and have had hardware gone bogus on surge problems, also at home and at friends homes (in Germany) - its rare but it does happen (oh damn its like a 24 year span i have in mind).
I would not have spent the Money for an APC UPS if i did not think it is important and thinks going wrong often means the go wrong in none expected ways…

@nukular - a Company (big one) here has had a big power issue - simple cause - some guy doing work in the Basement powered down his brain and used a tool like the Bosch GSA 1100 E and cut Right through multiple thick lines… lots of fun, dont want to imagine the Costs coming up at cutting down multiple production lines like that

3 Likes

Probably the USB port, that was maybe struggling to give power, that fried it down when tension went wrong

Are the speakers on the audio strap working yet ? It would be nice to at least know what the sound quality is like on the non deluxe version .

3 Likes