Important news about VR Berlin meetup

You fly thousands of kilometers and only have 2 8K-X with you. Are you serious? There is no Plan-B? Something like that really doesn’t work anymore.

5 Likes

Hi @SweViver,

this is very unfortunately and disappointing because I pre-ordered the 8KX and took vacation for today to demo it.

Since the location is only about 1h away from me I still will attend at 13.00 local time. Please equip the 8K+ with MAS and comfort kit if not done yet. I would like to check the comfort but also distortions with it because I currently need a thin vr cover for my 8K to get rid of them.

Cheers
Dennis

5 Likes

Crystal clear case… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

There are many possible causes for a heavily used prototype and even more room for speculation.
In any case it seems a bit too early to expect a serious problem for mass production.

8 Likes

Given the pre-production nature of the headset, they probably only have a very few of them and the others are being used by engineering. For all we know, the 2 that died and the one that’s being shipped overnight is the entire stock of available 8KXs.

7 Likes

That’s business. You have to be prepared for something like that. Some potential customers have taken a vacation to test the glasses. That’s not ok.

7 Likes

You can’t be prepared for everything and after certain point it becomes too costly. Unexpected power surge, fire alarm and forced building evacuation are quite unforeseen circumstances. After Germany shut down their nuclear power plants the electrical power stability is pretty bad there.

3 Likes

Lol what are you even talking about?

1 Like

I don’t see it that way. I would always have a replacement device with me to prevent such a situation. You always have to reckon with the worst.

Be that as it may, having only 2-3 8K-X devices at this stage only tell us that the December delivery for backers was once again to optimistic, this close my internal debate as will I procure myself the 8K-X before the 31 December. The next publish date is January 2020, for me it will be when Pimax has ample stock of 8K-X send to customer and working more then 2 months…

See you in spring 2020!

4 Likes

Well that’s unfortunate. A portable UPS or two would protect things, but understandably not practical for Expo organisers to provide, or for demo companies to lug around :frowning:

1 Like

From 11th November

Late december, most likely Januar, realistic - might be lucky if we get it before HL:A launches.

I call conspiracy theory. Was Pimax 8KX actually using the new cable they mentioned at the last meet up? Because remember the old 8kX cable broke.

I just find it hard to believe anything Pimax says anymore. Every single meet up has had has some sort of natural disaster, state of unpreparedness, forgetfulness, production delay, or some excuse out of Pimaxes control.

So my question is, were you using the new or old cable at this Berlin meet up?

Either way it doesn’t inspire confidence in Pimax and once again shows how flakey their HMDs are to set up and use. In all my years of using my Vive and Index I’ve ever had such problems with fire alarms and electrical surges. It’s just comical. I feel for anyone ordering a 8kX.

6 Likes

it was not really publicized or emphasis in January 2020 in the first Pimax video. Even the wording is telling us they are stretching what mean late december? in europe and america late december always means late January because of the hollidays…

It means late march, because februar is always chinese new year (full month) :zipper_mouth_face::sweat_smile:

5 Likes

Yes you’re right! :wink: Anyway let them work and will see in a few months…

I get that you are disappointed and frustrated because you planned to check out the demo today (and I am in a more comfortable position as I plan to go to Gouda and they should have the replacement unit available by then), but I think this is just a case of bad luck.

If this was Sony, sure, they should be expected to have 10 units with them and will travel with larger teams. But you are talking about a really small company here, and these are probably two prototypes while back in China the team is still preparing the next prototypes with new cables, so it’s not even a real pre-production unit.

Is it the kind of professional level activity as you expect it to see in the consumer product space ? Surely not. But is it of any surprise to you that this happens with Pimax ? Really ? This is part of the deal when doing business with them. Amateuristic, chaotic, not well prepared, rough around the edges and then some, but also ambitious, quicker to the market than others who polish their products behind closed doors as we speak, but won’t reveal them for another year.

Take your pick on what you prefer, but you can’t expect them to be what they never really claimed they were.

As an 8KX backer, I will receive one - if I had not backed it, I might have opted to go with a less ground-breaking but plug 'n play device like the Index because I am getting a bit tired of having to fix issues or tweak settings instead of playing when I find time to dedicate to VR. But I won’t complain about Pimax being Pimax where it was more or less clear from the outset what I would get.

5 Likes

I will bring a multimeter in case they want to troubleshoot the broken power supplies / headsets further

10 Likes

But I can expect a company to learn from all its mistakes (and there really were some). If I worked like this in my job, I wouldn’t have it anymore.
Slowly I can’t protect Pimax anymore. What good are optimistic deadlines if you can’t keep them anyway? The puppy protection is used up.

1 Like

Please update, also please check for distortions on the 8K+, i felt they are very strong in Arizona Sunshine

1 Like

If it only the Power adapter then maybe they can get on in Berlin is it the headset then tuff luck :frowning:

And there is no headset that have protection against powersurge so why Pimax should i dont understand, if something like that happens to you your Insurance will cover it.