How to Significantly Improve the Brightness and Colors of the Pimax 8KX!

ok, folks, please calm down and carry on!

3 Likes

Honestly you have only one purpose here and that is to repeatedly bash anyone positive about Pimax.

You do not currently own a Pimax headset and your purpose is to demean and attack anyone who does - especially those who like them.

2 Likes

Ok, do you advise people take this unreleased pimax firmware and start manually flashing it to headsets?

In which case fill your boots boys, bricked headsets agogo, pimax support are waiting for your tickets

Please stop flooding a thread where I am looking for help. It’s up to me deciding to install an experimental firmware, this is not a perfect world and s*it happens. I hope to fix it soon with everyone’s help and that my experience will be useful for others in the future. Stop offending people who are here to help.

16 Likes

I was just asking what Pimax’s official position is on this firmware, as PUSA seems to be saying it’s recommended to go ahead, he could perhaps give you those instructions you are looking for.

From the Pimax folder - yes. Back it up. Then rename the new firmware the same name (p2.dfu) but in the folder of the firmware flashing program which is run from Windows Power Shell.

With regards to the Backlight - I saw the initial setting in PiTool set at 60. Those who are maxing it out and then dropping brightness, maybe this is leading to the ghosting issues with motion that is being described. The LCD Panel Grey to Grey Response time is effected due to the higher Back Light Setting.

I would be inclined to maybe look at initial adjustments within a +/- 10 range and go from there. Myself, I have settled on 54, leaving Brightness, contrast and RGB settings default. Maybe I am lazy but for me, I use the headset at night and the slight lower Backlight gives me 1 better image pop (better contrast less noticeable alaising, more vibrant colour at settings that I can use with my GPU)and easier on the eyes.

4 Likes

I had and have no problems whatsoever using that firmware on my 8kX. just to remind, there are other possible reasons for bricking while upgrading firmware, other than firmware file itself.
with my 5k+ i remember also having flashing lights after firmware upgrade but could restore old firmware with dfu and therefore no PERMANENT bricking, like i first believed.

3 Likes

Hmm thats interesting. So I guess the lower brightness, the less ghosting. I have it set to 91 but i’ll try a lower setting. Was the default 60 before the firmware update?

At 54 brightness does the level of ghosting look worse than before doing firmware update?

I also tried to flash r9d6c1e2.dfu one, device is not bricked, I can flash any firmware via dfu.exe and via DfuSeCommand.exe, PiTools recognizes the device, but it seems not connected to the DP port. From the PC side I tried with my 5K+ on the same DP port, with the same PiTools, and works fine.

Maybe it is some internal parameter that needs to be reset, and the firmware upgrade does not reset correctly.

1 Like

I assume you have tried connecting to different USB ports and not just disconnecting and reconnecting to the same USB port? I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago and found that I had to use a different USB port

2 Likes

I inverted the power cable and the data cable, yes, but USB seems fine, it’s the DP that is not recognized

1 Like

FIXED!

Kudos to Pimax support for the speed of response to the ticket. I am really impressed. They sent me a P2_129 firmware that reset the headset, and then I installed the latest firmware and everything works great again, including the backlight. :+1:

10 Likes

In general, I drove a little at maximum backlight - yes, it became much better in this regard, just awesome :+1: The picture seemed to feel even clearer, brighter and livelier :beers:

I left it at 80%, that’s enough for me (by default, it was 50 or 60 there before, when I hadn’t touched it yet).

Then I read about the ghosting/oreols and checked the whole thing.
Yes, indeed, at values ​​above 60%, some blurring of the picture is noticeable when you turn your head quickly. Apparently, this is why Pitool initially did not make the brightness control active for 8KX.
Well, for me it is not very critical, I did not notice 100% at all (in Assetto Corsa), having driven a couple of circles until I read about it. But it really is, if you look closely. Maybe in some fast shooters (where opponents are sticking from all sides and you need to quickly turn your head) it will interfere, I don’t know, you need to check.

6 Likes

I actually don’t recall hearing about a single actually bricked headset caused by a firmware update.

It’s not bricked until there’s no way of recovering it (and it seems there always is). Hence the name “bricked”. Just as useful as a brick, I guess… :wink:

5 Likes

Post deleted…

That was my suspicion.

Default observed Back Light Setting after Firmware Flash was 60.

I thought I might have a bricked headset with my initial tries of flashing the new firmware via command line. @vorinami

After renaming the new firmware file to the same as my backed up old firmware name - the flash went smoothly and all was working again.

Clear and concise instructions for the more recent headsets were missing at the time. I and others have tried to rectify that since.

3 Likes

It might be the same firmware. However #Pimax-pitool:Pitool-Notes has another 294 firmware there as well but think John’s is newer version.

https://community.openmr.ai/t/8kx-294-beta-firmware-sept-8-2020/30691?u=heliosurge

1 Like

Why don’t you ask @Alex.liu to release the 8kX firmware officially instead of just pushing it out to the odd member with a ticket. Especially since it can be pushed out via cloud firmware update.

Geof is correct in that it is possible the Firmware might not have downloaded correctly from the web. The same as it has been mentioned before to include checksum(like other Developers do) file to ensure it downloaded without corruption.

7 Likes

Pimax headsets unlike Nvidia/Amd and Mobo Bios are not as much concern with perma bricking. It is indeed one of pimax’s best features is a robust firmware that a bad flash is fixable.

3 Likes