How to Significantly Improve the Brightness and Colors of the Pimax 8KX!

IMPORTANT: LEAVE DISPLAYPORT CABLE PLUGGED IN WHEN FLASHING FIRMWARE. IT SHOULD TAKE NO LONGER THAN 30 SECONDS TO FLASH IT. IF IT GETS STUCK YOU’LL NEED TO GET P2_129 FIRMWARE from Pimax support that resets the headset.

In this video, I show you guys how to install a firmware update that significantly improves the brightness and colors of the Pimax 8KX to a point where the picture quality is now comparable to the HP Reverb G2!

You will need to have the latest Pitool installed V1.0.2.086 V7 which you can find here: http://sweviver.com/PiToolSetup_1.0.2.086_V7.0.zip

And the latest 8KX firmware DFU file here:

Let me know your thoughts in the comments below!

13 Likes

G’Day Dmel,

I had already installed V1.0.2.086 and found that after watching your welcome video
that there was no need to download the rf4e5503.dfu as I had the backlight in the
new pitool already installed.After following your setting’s the colors certainly pop
so thanks for that,keep up the good work
Skellum

2 Likes

You need the firmware update for the backlight slider to actually work. Is it working for you?

1 Like

Your right,backlight slider did not work,installed dfu all good.
cheers

2 Likes

FIXED, see below…

done successfully, but…now the device is blinking green, PiTools says 10600 (DP disconnected?)

Also, I cannot turn off the device by pressing and holding the power button.

I have tried several times to turn off and on the PC, disconnect USB, disconnect DP, change DP port, always without success. The device is recognized (windows recognizes the volume button), but the error persists.

I also tried to re-flash the firmware via DFU.EXE (successfully) and via DfuSeCommand.exe (always successfully).

immagine

What can I try? Who can I mention of the support team?

EDIT: also tried to completly reinstall PiTools, removing all related folder under AppData… no way… :frowning:

Okay time for a dumb question, but you do have an 8KX right?

yes…

In which case yes, sounds like you are going to need pimax support

Sounds like grabbing random firmware off drop box is maybe not such a great idea

It’s not random firmware. It is firmware that @john2910 shared on this forum which he got from the Pimax support team.

When flashing new firmware there is always a risk of bricking a device or some kind of potential problem. Just like updating your motherboard bios carries risks. Hopefully the issue gets resolved for you @mmorselli

You might need to try flashing back to the stock firmware.

4 Likes

It’s not officially released though is it, it was provided to ONE user directly by pimax support, now we are hearing it’s bricking headsets, so well done mate, nice one.

Only one person has reported a problem. The rest had no issues.

5 Likes

Ticket #10065 opened, but any help to avoid the long wait will be appreciated

where can I find a previous 8KX firmware?

1 Like

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 596 hours unless flagged)

3 Likes

I think it might be saved somewhere in the Pimax software folder or posted on the forum.

1 Like

In the Pimax folder there is a generic P2.dfu firmware without headset reference, it may not be right for 8KX

1 Like

Try this guide:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/pitool-1-0-2-086/32958/112?u=dmel642

It seems P2 is the original firmware.

I did the firmware update for my 8k-X as described in the original post and backlight brighness control works like a charm and colors really pop, so a big thank you to dmel642!

6 Likes

You could just, I don’t know, block me, like you said you had. I’ve not actually used any foul language towards you so maybe show a bit of self control.

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 596 hours unless flagged)

Dude, seriously, all I said was that maybe downloading non official firmwares was not a great idea, and you start throwing f bombs at me, but I’m the “abusive” one? Like, wtf?