How To Make Your Pimax Image/Picture/Screen Clear/Crisp (Increase Clarity)

@BNP nice one - so this will do it on every restart, or you have to start this file up to overwrite it the file?

it should stick until something else changes it.

It seems

ā€œgpuSpeedRenderTargetScaleā€ : x.xm,

makes the most difference
1.5 or 2.0m and you get an image through the 8K-X that is likened that to a monitor.

That with PiTool at what ever setting with SteamVR Auto or PiTool at 1.25 to 1.75 with SteamVR Video and App at 50%

For me I use 1.25 or 1.5 for my RTX 2080.

Both Il2 and DCS look amazing. Wish DCS would update the Su27 cockpit artwork though :+1:

5 Likes

now had the chance to test the thin foam. Iā€™ve had the big one for a long time.

Yes, the eyes are closer to the lens and the picture better, bigger. But there is no comfort. The HMD presses on the nose and there is no grip on the sides.

I strongly recommend everyone to switch to a DIY solution or the mask from VRmust. Otherwise you will not have much fun and you will not be able to enjoy the real advantage of the X, the great image. The VRmust cover fits perfectly because it is considerably softer than the originals.

For DIY you can use the thin foam and lined it with some Velcro on the sides and in the area next to the nose.

5 Likes

Thanks for this BNP, I agree it seems to improve things.

Regards
Gary

4 Likes

Yeah, itā€™s really annoying having to constantly change this setting.

Thanks, iā€™m going to give this a try.

3 Likes

Cool, let us know how it works for you.

2 Likes

It worked great, thank you very much. A question, what does ā€œgpuSpeedRenderTargetScaleā€ : x.xm, refer to? Is it scaling the internal render target by 1.5 in your example, and without reporting it to the steamvr reported resolution?

I wonā€™t claim to be any kind of expert but as I understand it from threads like this one gpuSpeedRenderTargetScale is influencing the rendering of menu items in steamvr, basically the steamvr menu that you can open from within vr. so that particular setting should have no influence on the rendering of the games themselves.

1 Like

@Heliosurge I missed ability to edit the post, can I get it back? I guess there is timeout since the last edit?

1 Like

I have adjusted things and you should be able to make edits again.

1 Like

Does not work for meā€¦if I change recommended settings in ā€œsteamvr.vrsettingsā€ (correct config location) - everything is reset back to defaults every time I launch SteamVR.

Try changing file to read only after applying settings.

I would say that this is never a good thing to do, and a risky way to deal with a problem caused by some other issue, as it could just compound the issue

1 Like

HIghly likely that there is something incorrect in the syntax making the file invalid, because what you describe is the most common symptom. Check quote marks are valid, commas and brackets correctly paired etc

4 Likes

there are couple of reasons, but the most common one is the typo in config, try add settings partially, start only with max resolution & see if itā€™s reverted, most probably commas or quotes issue

3 Likes

It could but in this case should just create a launching issue and crash. If this was the OS would advise against it.

2 Likes

does the new pimax experience replicate the functionality of this?

Yes. It has a similar function and it even backs up the original file in case you want to restore to an unmodified state.

3 Likes