Headset not Tracked: Tried All of the Tips I Found

Hello,

I have an 8KX. After I received it, I was able to use it and everything worked fine. Then, I let it sit on my desk for a while, busy with other stuff. After a week or two I tried it again, and since then I can’t get the tracking to work any more. I have two LH1 devices, and tracking for the Index controllers works fine, but the headset can’t see them. PiTool always just says “Not tracked”. It does work when I switch to 9axis tracking, but I get sick within seconds in that mode.

I have tried PiTool 260, 261 and 263. I have deleted the lighthouse-folder and restarted the service, I have deleted the config-folder around it and restarted the service, I have restarted the HMD multiple times, I have tried multiple USB ports, I have reinstalled SteamVR, I have restarted the computer, I have updated the HMD firmware to 2.1.255.294. I’m out of ideas what to try next.

Does anybody have any further suggestions? Did the HMD just die on me while it was sitting on my desk?

2 Likes

I have invited Alex.liu to this topic. I would recommend in the meantime file a support ticket requesting tech support in case they need to do a remote session.

2 Likes

Thank you for the response! I have created the ticket (#7288).

2 Likes

Did you try this sequence?

5 Likes

Sounds very similar to my lighthouse problem. Please me know when you find a solution.

1 Like

Just tried it, doesn’t change anything.

2 Likes

Hey anlumo,

There is a command line tool in the SteamVR folders called lighthouse_console.exe. I’d be interested to see the output from that app with only the headset plugged in (no contollers). I screwed up my watchman firmware and it caused the same behavior. Had to get replacement firmware files from support, not the DFU update available on OpenMR or Pitool.

1 Like

I have the exact same issue with my 8KX. As long as a controller is on lighthouse tracking works fine. As soon as the controller is off, lighthouse tracking no longer works.

So far nothing I have tried brings it back, different PiTool versions, USB ports, etc.

Edit: Nevermind, controller makes no difference in actual tracking, just light the lighthouses up blue in PiTool.

1 Like

I would try uninstalling steamvr and reinstalling it. Along with unplugging the headset. Rebooting pc before plugging it back in. Hope it helps.

1 Like
Version:  lighthouse_console.exe (buildbot_vortex-windows_steamvr_rel_win64@vortex-windows)  04552143
Attached lighthouse receiver devices: 5
        D165FB5F86
        124368823B
        LHR-DA7B8A95
lighthouse_console: Connected to receiver LHR-DA7B8A95
Attempting HID Open IMU: LHR-DA7B8A95
Lighthouse IMU HID opened
LHR-DA7B8A95: Firmware Version 1528232393 watchman@runner-watchman 2018-06-05 FPGA 531(2.19/7/2) BL 1528232393
LHR-DA7B8A95: Successfully fetched gyro/accelerometer range modes from the device. GyroRangeMode:1 AccelRangeMode:1
Attempting HID Open Optical: LHR-DA7B8A95
Lighthouse Optical HID opened
Attempting HID Open VrController: LHR-DA7B8A95
Lighthouse VrController HID opened
LHR-DA7B8A95: Read config of 1850 bytes from [vid:28de, pid:2300] (LHR-DA7B8A95) and inflated to 5961 bytes

Any specific command I should enter there? errors responds with

missing_rising_edge         : 0
backward_time               : 0
pulse_queue_overflow        : 0
short_sync                  : 0
long_sync                   : 0
invalid_calibration_size    : 0
invalid_calibration_crc     : 0
invalid_calibration_version : 0
queue_overflow              : 0
spammy_sensor               : 0
flags                       : 1
long_optical_packet_delay   : 0
1 Like

Already tried all of that.

1 Like

Yes, the controllers see the lighthouses and so report that to the software (including their ID). The HMD itself can never recognize anything.

1 Like

This may be the first heat issue casualty. Looks you have to reach out to Pimax for repair or replacement.

1 Like

Very interesting. From that output everything looks healthy. Sadly I think you’re best bet is to open a ticket with Pimax and see if their engineers have any thoughts.

1 Like

Sorry if a dumb and obvious suggestion, I ask only because you didn’t mention it in your first post. I always have to do this once per session because I have a small space. This works for my 5k+ with a single LH v1, I don’t have an 8KX yet to compare.

Have you ensured you have a minimum 2 metre distance from the LHs, and then done the ‘Pimax shuffle’? Point the headset up, then down, then to the left, and finally to the right. Repeat if needed until connection is established.

Once done, I can put my headset on the desk, and even if tracking is then lost, it can be reconnected quickly just by restoring LoS. But at the beginning of a VR session, I always have to do this to get tracking, and the 2m distance is essential.

4 Likes

Besides this being a crazy procedure to be necessary, I tried it four times in a row and it didn’t change anything. Thanks for the suggestion, though.

2 Likes

Ah well, worth ruling out. Best of luck finding a solution, I hope Pimax can help you if nothing else turns up :+1:

2 Likes

I like that “pimax shuffle” name you gave it. I do similar, but just spin it left and right then pitool picks up on it…

3 Likes

I think @DrWilken might hold the patent on that one!

4 Likes

It’s freeware… :grin:

5 Likes