Half-Life: Alyx Announcement Trailer

Do you have to pay shipping if you get controllers from pimax ?, no shipping when I got mine from steam, and posted with in 24hrs.

This is the first game which has tempted me to buy VR controllers. However, Iā€™d need an additional base station too. Thatā€™s over $400 to play a ā€œfreeā€ game.

1 Like

Yes, Pimax have a shipping charge added.

1 Like

So you get a discount by giving up stuff and then charged shipping , That sucks

1 Like

If Iā€™m wrong Iā€™d welcome correction by any Pimax official.

1 Like

This is the Valve strategy to boost VR uptake amongst gamers I guess. As with consoles, theyā€™re banking on people investing in the hardware for the ā€˜killer appā€™

For the base station, hopefully you can save some cash by getting a second hand v1 off ebay or small ads. And as more v2s become available, the numbers of unwanted v1s should increase a little

3 Likes

I have an index and half life Alyx is already showing up in my libraryā€¦(As uninstalled of course)
Also if I go to purchase it it says
Half-Life: Alyx
Available Mar 2020
You already own this game1

9 Likes

Was just asked to restart Steam and youā€™re right, so it is!

4 Likes

Same, canā€™t wait to play this!! :smiley:

10 Likes

I saw a Valve Network video that showed it was originally a teleport game only way back when (and before it was a HL game), but they have since updated it in keeping with modern VR expectations :+1:

ā€œYouā€™ll be happy to hear there three different methods are supported. For the comfort-inclined, thereā€™s the usual teleport option, in which you fade between locations based on where your hand points. Thereā€™s also a smooth locomotion option, in which the player glides through the world using an analog stick. And then, in the middle, is a Shift option in which the camera glides between points you choose.ā€

https://uploadvr.com/half-life-alyx-locomotion/

2 Likes

Japanese index buyers can get their CD keys for Alyx from official resellers.

Letā€™s hope we can get them too.

3 Likes

You dont actually need the steam or oculus versions of Elite to play in VR, i got in back in 2015 using a DK2 and just as long as steamvr, back then it was just a matter of starting Elite after Steamvr was running and when i switched to a vive, and then to pimax 5k+ it was still the same process

Its somewhat annoying that the pimax controllers wont be out for like a year still when HL:A is released because i cant spend more monies on the upgrade with pimax and hope to get it or index controllers straight from valve

1 Like

Pimax need to speak up on this matter. They need to talk to Valve. They either have to lower the price of the Index Controller by $60 to make up the difference for the FREE Half Life Alyx game or get assurance that it comes with FREE game. If not, there is no reason to buy Index controllers from Pimax directly.

Either that or come up with a NEW plan that allowed backers to opt out of controllers but keep base stations in order to get some refund back.

Contractsā€¦ no problemā€¦ just change the languageā€¦ It just must be a language barrier, thats allā€¦ soon = months sometimes moreā€¦ free = $100 or $200ā€¦ delux w/ headphones = MAS w/no headphones - comfort kitā€¦ discount = remove strech goalsā€¦ just matters how its worded or inturperatedā€¦ sorry off topicā€¦ I will go order my index and get a free game in march 2020 guaranteed. :wink:

4 Likes

I think if Steam does something for Black Friday or winter sale, I might jump on those controllers and base stations. Iā€™ve been mainly using headset only for sims and stuff, but this might finally push me into the conventional VR setup :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Might as well try a traditional headset while your at itā€¦if you have not yet.

Iā€™m thinking about it. Iā€™m hoping places like BestBuy in the US will demo the Index- I havenā€™t really looked into it. Iā€™m holding off on any moves with the headset until I get my eyeballs into one.

Plus I am hoping some reasonable communication may open up with Pimax/Robin Weng- I would rather not jump ship on Pimax. I am hoping the silence is indicative of internal discussion. Ever the optimist :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Same, definitely need index controllers until march. No way that pimax will be able to deliver controllers before HL Alyx, and its definitely not a best thing to play such game with htc wands.

Yesss, I also have it in the library. I bought Knuckles controllers and base stations more than a month ago. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good point. Itā€™s a shame you canā€™t mixā€™nā€™match v1 and v2 base stations. I long ago gave up waiting for my single v2 base station from Pimax and bought a v1 bs, so eventually Iā€™ll have one of each. I havenā€™t decided, but I might just spend the ~$400 to get a pair of controllers and a v2 bs from Valve. That would be the simplest approach.

However, Iā€™m not even sure I could actually play HL:A, since my play area is small and cluttered with large heavy furniture, which is not easily moved out of the way.

3 Likes