Got a shipping update from Pimax support regarding 8K X & 8K Plus

Only the other day I was swearing over how I have only enough processing oomph to have either high supersampling, which really “solidifies”, and “anchors” the virtual world, and makes it possible to resolve more detail, or high frame rate, which really “solidifies”, and “anchors” the world, and makes it possible to resolve more detail.

This was at that particular moment with Elite: Dangerous, which has little fast motion most of the time, and a decent bit of HUD to make out, and to my senses, compromising on spatial resolution, and compromising on temporal resolution, is equally unpalatable.

1 Like

What about fast paced first person shooters like Pavlov?

I’m gonna be PISSED if people get their 8KX Headsets before backers in Feb.

There aren’t really that many backers that backed the 8kx during kickstarter. Pretty sure those who backed it will get it first.

5 Likes

Exactly what I am thinking of.

In both Pavlov and Onward, I have seen little if any benefit from increased resolution while moving quickly. Not really like I am looking for anything close to being smaller than a single pixel. Even at long range, not moving, I still need a telescope in exactly the same situations at exactly the same distances for exactly the same reason of being able to see around cover. Biggest difference for Pavlov/Onward from Oculus/Vive to Pimax 5k+ was some loss of haze, mostly due to improved optics, and only with Pavlov.

By contrast, every little bit of resolution I can get for reading instruments, HUDs, and similar displays, dramatically improves how often text characters are outright smeared into a single completely unreadable blob.

I won’t know until I actually have the Pimax 8kX for long enough to do some serious testing, but it is a good bet I will not be using it for anything like Pavlov/Onward at all. Keeping the optics in top shape (ie. away from sweat) for flight sim use is probably much more important.

EDIT: @Toba Would you rather we all get our headsets in June? Personally, on a budget, I have preordered quite a lot of stuff from Pimax, with none of the upgrade discounts, and I would be willing to add even more cash to have my headset sooner…

i hear you are jockeying for a job with them is this true?

they were even late on making their scheduled pimax day. twice! Why are we surprised?

yes this is made even sketchier on Valves part in hindsight, considering they knew they were going to become Pimax’s (and all of their potential other partners) competion with their Index without telling them.

Withholding pimax from selling basestations before they launched their index (Again pimax would not have even known the index was a thing yet) and jacking the price and not allowing them to manufacture their own was a BS move.

Still, Pimax is not innocent in this. And I questioned the wisdom of basing your entire companies limited budget on another companies prototype controllers.

But with this artisan release I question if the decisions made at pimax are based on logic anyway.

2 Likes

Well as of right now they have invited me to CES to help them in their booth and as I have said in other posts, I would very much like to work for Pimax with the hope that I could be someone who can help them turn the tide on some of the problems they are having currently, especially in regards to their communication or lack there of within the community. I have not hidden the fact that I would very much like to be someone who helps to make that happen!

7 Likes

Something to keep in mind though in some games higher res will not make a difference if the game had low res textures.

The Article From blog “Infinity to beyond(?)” Talked about this.

2 Likes

Perhaps but they were overzealous with our suggestions as well. With a simple mod accessory Touch controllers even become index like with a simple strap mod.

1 Like

Have you tried enabling FFR in PiTool for Elite D? It’s not terrible with Normal FOV on the Conservative setting. I can run fairly high settings with my 2080 and mostly hit 80 fps on my 8K. The worst artifact is with orbit lines, but they can be turned off.

I tried Smart Smoothing, but there were weird smearing artifacts, so I turned it off.

3 Likes

They were also overzealous with the kickstarter stretch goals. I remember while it was happening that every time they met their stretch goals they would just keep adding more and more miraculous addons.

By the time it was over i was like. DAMN Daniel!! We’re Rocking those futuristic modules.

Eyetracking, Hand Tracking, Wireless, Deluxe Audio Straps, Face Foams, etc, etc, etc for what we initially paid I felt like a burglar

4 Likes

Well, hand-tracking isn‘t in the stretchgoal mix but a paid add-on module (which I haven‘t received either till date having paid for it in 2017… @PimaxUSA).

But I agree that I also thought that they were getting ahead of themselves a bit at the time and that we‘d get rubbish implementations as a result thereof. This is why I was pleasently surprised about the approach especially for eye-tracking eventhough it resulted in an additional price tag. I know, this is a hot take of mine but I want to see them push the quality over fulfilling every KS promise exactly to the word if the latter means they have to water down the quality of the solution presented to make ends meet.

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip! Alas for its prerequisites, I am sitting out NVidia’s 20xx series – the significant markup, on top of lower performance increase, compared to naming scheme equivalents from previous generation shifts, really didn’t sit well. :stuck_out_tongue:

Here’s hoping for next time around – or maybe AMD could get all their chiplets in a row for what comes after Navi… :7

2 Likes

6 posts were split to a new topic: RTX and VR - Raytracing a pro or con?

Yes ppl kept asking for more & stated they don’t want another coupon & pimax unfortunately listened. I was asked & told Xunshu a general coupon would be plenty.

1 Like

Can you guys please stay on topic and make another thread for these other conversations? You’re filling my thread with unrelated stuff. By the way, I changed my order to the 8K Plus.

6 Likes

Sorry- I split the RTX Part Out of this thread
but did take out this from @neal_white_iii

5 Likes

Well aware. Enabling sufficiently high resolution textures has a small, but measurable performance impact, and my tests account for this.

With OVRDrop, this is completely a non-issue.

2 Likes