[Found a Workaround] USB Problems Are Really Bad Now

Makes me think, is your powersupply enough?

1 Like

Should be enough, 850w
ryzen 1700 1080ti.
never had such a thing with vive where power is a concern.

oke that isnt the problem then…

I observed that windows 10 after some updates reverting back my power management of usb devices & root hubs.
Today I went into "device manager "and uncheck once agian "allow the computer to turn off… "

I have tried changing the power management but it did not help for me.
plugging the 5k+ into the fastest usb port i have and moved some devices to other ports I have not gotten a blackout so far, but more testing is needed.

2 Likes

“isolating” a usb device to have not to share irq or power is a good methode
you can use a tool like USBDeview (View any installed/connected USB device on your system) to see the Power used when plugged in, if this shows the full power (like 900mA for USB3) then any power sharing of that usb port with another will be trouble (click on property of the device and look right below for “Power”)
some drivers might be “sensitive” to irq sharing or even being on a “newer” usb port (like usb3.0 instead of 2.0, i’ve seen even BOD’s with a 2.0 device driver on a usb 3.0 port under win7 x64)

there are usb tools that can show you the tree structure and irq’s too so you can see if a port is sharing resources and plug the devices differently - atm i can’t remember what tool i used for this but i guess it was this one

4 Likes

You can use Device Manager directly to view the “connection tree”. Just switch the View to “Devices by connection”. This helps to trace all HMD USB devices to the corresponding USB hub in the PC.

3 Likes

To those having intermittent USB issues:
If you have a situation like the OP describes:

Generally, this is caused by inadequate power supplied to the USB devices. Usually, this is not a power supply issue, it is a motherboard issue. Your motherboard has voltage regulators that supply the power to your USB devices. These voltage regulators are frequently under powered and do NOT supply the needed power no matter how much power is available to them. The solution is a powered USB hub. This does not work for everything, but you should be able to offload enough peripherals to the powered hub to allow the mobo to supply the power to the devices that need it.

Swapping ports will frequently fix this problem as different ports have different regulators, but you will run into the problem again as soon as you plug something else into that rail.

This will not fix all USB issues, but if your problem fits the OP’s profile, you should definitely look at getting a powered 3.0 hub.

Edit: generally, this is why the front panel USB plugs are crap: they get even less power than the back ports. They’re also “noisier”, but inadequate power exaggerates the issue.

7 Likes

Indeed good to check the 5v rail of the main psu (might be unstable)

However, if your mobo regulators are not supplying adequate power, your 5v rail from your power supply will be smooth as butter.
Also, most digital volt meters have “averaging” and will not show spikes or drops unless they are substantial and most don’t have the 'scopes that are necessary to see the ‘glitches’.
The only real troubleshooting that you can do is to see if it fails more if you plug in more devices or if the problems stop if you disconnect stuff. Or you can replace your mother board. Or get a powered hub and see if it helps.
Another symptom: does it fail more often when the room is warm? Heat will exaggerate the issue.

2 Likes

True good old analog meters can be better for things like that.

I did post a neat usb gadget that you plug in between port & device that shows draw & such.

Oooo, where’d u post that?
(I still have an analog Radio Shack meter that I refuse to get rid of for that reason!)

1 Like

I think it was in General.

Here it is

https://community.openmr.ai/t/neat-tech-toys-fun/5920?u=heliosurge

3 Likes

Cool. Seems to cost 2-5 €/$ in Aliexpress, gotta get one.

2 Likes

Weeee! I loves TOYS!!! Thanks! I never knew the little buggers existed!!! Where’s my wallet?
Dang thing ran away again! Sheesh! Get back here, it’s just a toy…

2 Likes

It was a youtube suggestion on my phone as I recall. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

1 Like

Here’s one that even has the 'scope output! My, how times have changed!

5 Likes

Awesome find. Even usb-c

2 Likes

Or lost of them…:slight_smile:

2 Likes