Fomatter received his 8KX

Mine has arrived. Haven’t turned it on yet but my first impression is that it’s not very comfortable at all. Plastic hinges and only one face foam.

10 Likes

I still think the back of the headset needs to go down more.

5 Likes

It definitely does. It should cup the lower back of Your head.

According to others, it seems there’s a notch it has to go past on the plastic hinges.

3 Likes

Why it doesn’t? charcharchar

If you have plastic hinges, it should go down more. A LOT more.

Look at mine LOL:

You just need to apply some more force to it.
And loosen the top straps a lot or it won’t go down (but I think you already did).

7 Likes

how much force? :sweat_smile:

does it break anything in there or it just jumps over the notches?

2 Likes

It seems to be that when you reach a point there is a lot of friction but once you get past it it just goes easier.

4 Likes

so when you reverse the action is friction still there or it’s lost & something plastic clicked before? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It is still there. There is no hard ‘click’, it is just a lot of friction. Doesn’t feel like plastic against plastic, rather rubber against plastic or rubber against rubber maybe.

6 Likes

nice to know, I guess prong of the hinge just bypassed strap hole’s notches & gets in the next pocket.

1 Like

any problems with the strap length when you loosen it like that?

1 Like

No, I think the length should be enough for most people, but maybe some people with big head may have problem with it not sure

2 Likes

Thanks so much for posting this. I’ve been worried that it wouldn’t fit well on my head with the reports so far on hinges… but fedex man just dropped mine, and my experience is exactly as you described.

At first it felt like there was limited downward movement, and I gave it a gentle push further through the increased friction section to see the same range as you. No clicks, no worrying feeling of breaking something. Just increased friction that is still there as I move the headset hinge back up through that same range.
Unfortunately quite busy at work so will have to leave it for now, but I’m happy this range is there in my unit as well.

Also you must greatly loosen the top strap as indicated already. Doesn’t seem like there would be an issue for running out of strap, except possibly for heads much larger than mine.

8 Likes

i cant get past that point,i need to put to much pressure on it… it can break

2 Likes

I am still struggling to get this thing dialled in but when it works the image and colours are very nice. The colours are way more vivid than they are on my oculus s. But dam this thing is heavy and hot. You can feel the ambient heat coming from the screens.

8 Likes

I just finished reinstalling windows for the first time in 4 years and I am having a great time with the 8kx now. Since the last time I did a full reinstall I have had 4 different headsets and 4 different video cards and a new cpu and motherboard so I am guessing my registry was a minefield.

8 Likes

On a side note I have finally had a chance to use my plan f index controllers and I am very impressed with them. Night and day compared to the vive controllers. I really like not having to use the trackpads and the stap that holds the controllers in your hand makes vr feel very natural because you can let go of the controller when you aren’t using it. Go figure :grinning::grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

I even mounted one of the base stations sideways and it didn’t seem to matter.

3 Likes

Today I removed the face foam from my 8kx and I have managed to make it much more comfortable by making my own custom fit. The sids are thicker to stop it wobbling when I turn my head. I also made the foam even thinner on my forehead to get my eye’s closer to the lenses. How I have a larger sweet spot and a bigger FOV. And because I have made the sides thicker it distributes the pressure more evenly so it is MUCH more comfortable. This headset really is awesome once you get it dialled in. The colours are vivid and the blacks look very good to me. I think if @Davobkk could make some different size segments for the face foam like a top piece, two side pieces and two bottom pieces in there different thicknesses I would definitely buy them :+1:
Don’t worry about my blu tack mod to help hold my glasses in it’s only temporary but it works fine. It is really astonishing how clear the image is on this headset. The SDE is gone and that makes the colours look very solid if that makes sense.
My headset came with the thin face foam.

10 Likes

I think another reason it wobbles when turning is that the sides of the MAS are way too wide and don’t hold the sides of the head. I can put my entire hand through the side.

That’s why I’ll be replacing it with the Vive DAS. I heard it holds better in place.

2 Likes