The Pimax 8KX is truly the Next Generation of VR. My Full Review! [Youtube]

Man that rear foam is THICC!

Ya gotta give us a few first impressions here at least! Glad you got it before October!

2 Likes

I need to spend at least a day with it to give my full impressions, but so far I’ll say that the image quality is very sharp, like looking at a monitor and there’s no SDE :slight_smile: It’s not perfect yet, I’m still making some adjustments to the fit, ipd settings, etc.

9 Likes

Is the hinge fixed? I’d like to hope I get an 8kx that actually will reach down the back of my head.

1 Like

Awesome that you’ve got it now! Really looking forward to your impressions, as you’ve used the StarVR for quite a while, so will be great to hear how this compares in your experience.

It’s indeed wise to wait a few days with your review. First impression of the 8k-X will most always be ‘WOW, damn that resolution is cool’. But after that wears off a bit and you do some A/B-ing with other headsets you will also start to notice some things that are less than perfect, at least that’s my experience so far.

Anyway, enjoy and I’m looking forward to your review!

6 Likes

4 posts were split to a new topic: Fomatter received his 8KX

That’s the thin foam, he has!

1 Like

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: So pre-order customers are getting their 8K-X in August/September?

Video is out now!

17 Likes

A few things I forgot to mention in the video:

• The back of the headset goes low enough to stay in place on my head as long as it’s tightened enough using the knob. I know some people might need it to go lower for comfort.

• The Pimax 8KX cable is about half the length of the Index cable. Using a ceiling cable management system with this headset is impractical unless you buy an extension cable. However, the length is long enough to be able move and turn around without issue.

• Don’t forget to route the cable inside the plastic holder in the back of the headset like you see in the video. After doing that the headset felt more stable.

7 Likes

in sound settings open sound control panel then the properties for the headset speakers and finally in the levels tab bump the slider up.
(i’m translating so it might not be the exact names)
it should add some to the sound experience.

3 Likes

thanks for the review!

2 Likes

@dmel642 (if i remember right) review:

10 Likes

Seems like he learned to put the headset right.

3 Likes

Who’s going to take his place in “Where’s my 8kx?!” thread? :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Yes, it definitely takes a while to figure out how to wear it. But it also largely depends on face and head shape. If you have similar shape to my head then you’re probably fine. Still I think if I add in another strap, perhaps the studioform one, I can probably reduce the pressure on the nose.

3 Likes

Lol, even though it was a long wait, it was definitely worth it. But it’s always easier to look back when you already have something, compared to the moments when you’re still waiting.

4 Likes

felt plenty natural to me, but I can appreciate the confusion for those who got the metal hinge.

2 Likes

Yes, i thought sometime ago that if we just put another foam (just like the back of the head one that comes with the 8K-X) it would be even better without too much effort.

2 Likes

And if i may ask, can you please evalute the 8K-X against your monitor using Virtual Desktop ?

Thanks.

1 Like