Flight Sims not work since last upgrade of SteamVR

Which HMD are you using?

I’m using an 8KX – I still have a 5k plus sitting on the shelf now that I think about it.

2 Likes

So you managed to run the 8KX in 90hz mode using the latest Nvidia driver and the re BAR bios upgrade?

1 Like

No - you can not use 8KX in 90hz mode using the latest Nvidia driver at this point - I honestly will not even try at this point because I see no need of 90hz in DCS as even with my 5.2ghz machine optimized for single core with my 3090 I will not be able to sustain 90hz in DCS. I can get to 75, but it works best for me at 60 fps over all. I hit 75 in Elite Dangerous and IL2. I did get the reBar enabled but the only thing I can see so far as DCS doesn’t really use it, is a bit more Vram load. I am getting 12.1 gig of Vram loaded in the Syria map.

I am just happy I can run very good framerates in DCS at 4k native and with a very clear wide fov.

2 Likes

Thank you for the data point!

Indeed, congratulations!

2 Likes

Just look at the reBAR supported titles on Nvidia‘s whitelist and your data set will be complete.

There is zero effect on titles not explicitly enabled on a driver level.

2 Likes

That makes sense.

But wouldn’t 90hz @45fps via smart smoothing be worth a try for your setup?

I have no idea how well DCS works with smart smoothing, in AC it’s unusable as there is too much jitter and artifacts.

3 Likes

Smart Smoothing causes aircraft in DCS World to sometimes appear twice (most noticeable on the ground watching the ‘airshow’ of awesomely ridiculous flybys on some multiplayer servers), causes wingtips to ‘tear’ during fast rolls, and much less noticeably may cause some increased latency which can be important in competitive scenarios.

Given a choice between 60Hz and 45FPS Smart Smoothing, if nothing else (ie. visual quality) were a factor, I would choose 60Hz every time, unquestionably.

Such things are why I want a 2X outright improvement in CPU and GPU so much.

And now I am not so surprised that reBAR is basically also useless for existing flight sims, yet again.

2 Likes

Really need these old engines updated to use new gpu features & more than 1 cpu core.

4 Likes

Stop. That will not happen.

These aircraft will become typical Unity/Unreal/CryEngine assets long before the simulator infrastructure of DCS World is rewritten.

Thank the deities we have things like Flightgear than that no longer has the DeVs that were preventing moving forward.

Like DOS these dinosaurs will be put into the archives. Adapt or fade.

2 Likes

That is exactly what happens with smart smoothing in DCS — I wish it was better at only activating at a specific level (user selectable) as even with my setup 60 FPS can drop for a bit in heavy missions causing a very slight but noticed stutter in fast head movement. I can put up with very minor ghosting effects vs smoothness but I would want that to only engage in a large drop of framerate.

It would be very cool to have a hot button to turn smart smoothing on or off as even pushing at CPU @5.2 and with an OC 3090 sometimes I do drop below 60 fps on the ground. I fly with TheState squad and their missions are large and intense and it would be nice to turn on Smart Smoothing only when wanted by either a selectable level, or a in mission switch :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Indeed.

1 Like

I do have a question about Smart Smoothing. I always thought that SM would only engage when your framerate drops below the target Hz. I have found that once SM is engaged and activated, it never turns back off. I thought that was suppose to be the Smart part? I have run the same areas and hit 60 FPS with plenty of overhead, but turn on Smart Smoothing and it looks as active through those same areas.

Smart Smoothing is a little too aggressive. If one frame gets dropped maybe every 45 seconds, I think it will take effect even then.

Whereas Smart Smoothing should really only be taking effect if frames are dropped more often than perhaps 1/6 frames . Considering loss of two consecutive frames is catastrophic for VR regardless, Smart Smoothing really needs to not take effect unless framerate is below 50Hz.

@Alex.liu @PimaxUSA Smart Smoothing really needs to not take effect unless framerate is below 50Hz.

2 Likes

Might be an idea to add a setting like FFR for intensity Low/med/Hi/Forced.

1 Like

I do not see how that is related. Smart Smoothing being too aggressive is a very specific problem. And FFR is not great for DCS, because the CPU load is as often as not exactly equally unaffordable.

Optional user preference settable per game for desired level of performance.

For example some might want to have an option to Force frame doubling for watching a movie in a TruMotion 60 at perceived 120.

There are a lot benefits with a user being able to choose.

Of course FFR and DFR not likely good for DCS understandable reasons of design

3 Likes

Or better yet - user defined as some stuttering can happen at 50. Being able to set that parameter would be great! I would set mine at below 59 as I stay above 60 most of the time.

2 Likes

Agreed. Configurability would be helpful. Mostly though, the current default is not at all sane. An occasional drop to 59Hz from 60Hz is not even noticeable, and a drop to 50Hz does not feel like stuttering.

1 Like