[FIXED]Stormland Doesn’t Work with either ReVive or PiTool Native

Atm it is only a claim. Pimax actually had Oculus compatibility back in 2016 on the pimax 4k headset that worked well. 2 modes for 2 different runtimes. I think it was 0.6 & 0.8 for oculus direct mode & extended mode these modes did not use steam.

If pimax opensources as much as they have advertised the claim can be evaluated. Otherwise it is possibly just a dev making a claim due to similar function.

A theory which has yet to be proven or disproven.

7 Likes

Thanks, that’s appreciated! I’ve never heard of this rumor and was a bit shocked! I’ll keep thinking good thoughts until proven otherwise!

3 Likes

Your quite welcome.

Just hope others understand that a theory cannot be deemed true or false until it is proven or disproven.

We have had theories labelled false without being backed up with a fact. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

And that is unconscionable.

2 Likes

Considering that revive is a hack, and undoubtedly breaks Oculus terms of service I don’t think Libre or Pimax could claim any moral high ground here. We should just be thankful that Facebook haven’t made a significant effort to close the door on this software, as they have in the past.

2 Likes

Not really a hack in that respect but an api to allow compatibility much like Wine does for linux & Mac.

Just workarounds. Lucky was at one time donating $2000/month to Revive dev to support.

I think Lucky was the kind of guy that supported open source though, the sort of person who wasn’t even in it for the money. If he was still in charge we may not have the problem, although ironically without the exclusives we may not even have such high quality games.

2 Likes

Indeed He does want VR to be more open than FB. :beers::sunglasses::+1::sparkles:

His endorsements were proof of that. :wink:

2 Likes

A fake, I guess. ReVive is distributed under MIT license, one of the most permissive that exist.

If that’s not enough, ReVive is a layer on top of SteamVR, while PiTool doesn’t use SteamVR but OculusSDK directly .

4 Likes

Yes but the guy behind revive seems to believe otherwise so I don’t think he will support Pimax directly .

https://community.openmr.ai/uploads/default/original/2X/8/8383b0503f4a036259d6e0bcf52b7f0788291c8e.png

7 Likes

LOL! so maybe another case of “cultural difference” happened :smiley:

It would be interesting to read Pimax’s official position

4 Likes

At the end of the day it’s up to Pimax to update support for new oculus games I just wonder how long it is going to take .

3 Likes

Revive currently doesn’t make stormlands multiplayer work so here’s hoping Pitools directly using Oculus SDK will.

2 Likes

I hope they get it working soon, I played it for about 1.5 hours last night on the OG Rift and the whole time was disgusted at the porthole i was looking at the world through not to mention the low resolution of the screen

Asgards wrath is so much better in the 5k+ I imagine this game will be as well.

3 Likes

except im pretty sure PiTools oculus emulation is a “fork” of revive so likely the same problems.

Pttool had the same flickering loading screens in Asgard’s Wrath that revive did. But then revive fixed it. PiTool still doesn’t have the fix.

SteamVR is closed while running Oculus on PiTool, so I think that even if it shares some code, it’s a different thing.

2 Likes

OculusLink for Quest out today. Lost in Stormland at ultra settings. What a game.

2 Likes

you can try the link feature now. does it work for you?

maybe its because they stole their source.

yes, working perfectly even in beta. I have a fairly beefy pc (since I upgraded for the Pimax) so ultra settings are no issue on the Quest with a link cable.

1 Like

Maybe pimax should consider a similar donation. Just take it from the $1000’s of dollars you stole from the backers.