Fix Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling

Can we get a fix in software to resolve turning off Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling? cyberpunk and other dlss 3.0 games are now requiring this to be turned on to work, along with direct storage and other relevant gpu improvements… users should not have to turn this off, and my bet is Microsoft “will” disable the ability to turn this off in the near future as they do with many other features.

Can we please resolve this? It has been an issue for over a year, and applications are just now starting to utilize Hardware-accelerated GPU Scheduling.

Thanks,

4 Likes

What kind of problems it causes on Pimax? Been running it for a long time here (10900k/3090), no problem.

2 Likes

windows 11 issues in atleast the pimax 5k super. Will stutter frames in some games pretty badly.

1 Like

It’s an issue on every single headset. Don’t think Pimax can fix this one.

Also DLSS 3.0 works in VR now? I’m surrprised I didn’t hear that before!

3 Likes

HAGS creates more problems than benefits for many cards. So why would MS remove the option to disable it?

3 Likes

Well considering they will never remove it ever, it’s on by default, takes a full restart of the pc to enable and disable, it is here to stay and is now being utilized. this is something the team needs to resolve. last I checked, 100% of people going pimax will run into this stupid issue and stumble into a dumb forum in order to figure out whats going on. I KNOW pimax headsets have been returned because of this problem. they should resolve it.

I have seen microsoft remove the task bar search before my guy. Don’t put it past them to remove haqs toggles.

2 Likes

nono dlss 3.0 doesnt work in vr. in cyberpunk’s new update you need to both have a 40 series gpu, and have hardware accelerated gpu scheduling enabled to make dlss3.0 a thing.

2 Likes

Well, no matter what, it will not happen that an legal application can change system settings at this level.

1 Like

i’m not saying they need to change a system setting within software. at the very least make users 100% aware they need to disable this to work on the box in red neon paint. Also, they should be able to get around this issue in software period. It is an issue, I’m not just talking into a void here.

2 Likes

Definately an issue. As it stands we have to switch from HAGS on for dlss3, then to HAGS off for VR.

I guess the real question is: why does it have to be off for VR?

1 Like

@dstar maybe correct.

Actually these days MS is more careful making certain changes due to things like EU requirements. Which was why in W10 you had to choose to remove the deprecated MS Edge and choose to download & install the new Chromium based Edge Browser.

As this is an issue currently with VR headsets it might have something related to how direct mode works. I imagine Nvidia will likely make some kind of workaround or specialized version of dlss for VR if VR & MS do not come up with a fix for HAGs.

1 Like

A guess might speculate on it messing up timings and predictions, which are vital to VR.

PC gaming has always been more than a little lax with matching rendered frame rate to the display refresh rate (only now, with VR, beginning to get its act together), leaving my old Commodore 64 able to perform smooth scrolling, but gaming PC:s magnitudes more powerful, to this day often hacking and hitching when they try to do the same (…this is of course not only down to the old home computer games paying proper respect to VBlank, but also due to their scrolling constant discrete numbers of pixels per frame, but still… :7)

I don’t know whether HAGS has any particular hardware prerequisites, which it will not work without, but I do see people recommending switching it on if one has a more recent graphics card, along with the “Resizeable Base Address Register” PCI feature.
I know my 1080Ti does not have Resizeable BAR support – no idea whether HAGS is also something it would need to be “built for”…

Of course: If it was about hardware support, one might think the responsible Windows function would check that the prerequisites are in place, before auto-enabling them… :7

1 Like

Just wanted to admit that I was wrong - HAGS does affect both SteamVR and PimaxXR rendering. Not sure why I did not see any difference years ago, but I can confirm I see difference with 2 pitools I tested, 262 and 281. Interestingly, on my system HAGS off makes game unplayable in SVR, although framerate is higher with HAGS off. I am still investigating.

Interestingly I’ve been deep-diving my rig configuration recently and HAGS might have been fixed. I’ve only tested a handful of titles currently. ALYX and Hubris, as well as Hogwarts Legacy through vorpX and Cyberpunk through vorpX. So far it looks to me like I’m not seeing problems with HAGS being on. I’ll have to test further, but if there are still problems at the very least they are greatly reduced and not the awful results I used to see with HAGS.

3 Likes

Interesting, thanks for sharing! Is there any benefit to having it on?

1 Like

Supposed to be. There may be smoother things. But not faster. Ruins PimaxXR

1 Like

After a bit more testing today it looks like (probably) HAGS causes massive issues with PiTools Smart smoothing. For me it caused a massive stutter in the frames that’s actually difficult to describe. Kind of like having the rendered and then generated frames about 4 frames apart and interleaved, instead of being in sequence. Horrible full-screen ghosting etc. Turning HAGS off and restarting immediately fixed the issue. I don’t really use Smart Smoothing, so that’s probably why I hadn’t noticed this conflict before. I didn’t extensively test however. HAGS definitely helps some titles run better on my rig, but the differences are minor. Compatibility is important however, if only to get DLSS3 Frame Gen working in VR titles at some point, or at least flat titles forced into VR mode through mods, injectors, etc.

1 Like

I’m skeptical on the benefits on DLSS3 for VR (or in general to be totally honest). You don’t get any improvement in latency, which imo is usually the primary reason for wanting a higher FPS. I guess for a seated experience like a flightsim where input latency isn’t as crucial as, for example, a shooter then it could be a benefit. That said, my understanding is that with DLSS3 you really need to be running it at 60+ fps for it to be worth using, at which point I’d rather just use motion smoothing or such.

Overall DLSS3 seems like a tech that was built for other reasons, and then just shoehorned into gaming for marketing fluff. I also think it was very deceptive of nVidia to call it DLSS when it’s a totally different technology with different outcomes. DLSS2 is a fantastic technology that I always want to utilise, while DLSS3 is something I don’t see myself ever touching.

2 Likes

An anecdote from me: I’ve been playing with HAGS enabled since hogwarts legacy (for the frame generation) and so far the only problem in VR I’ve noticed is hitching in Pavlov. Other games like pc2, automobilista 2, dirt 2, no mans sky, synthriders, blaston all seem to run fine with no hitching. All with smoothing disabled. What have we learned? I dont know.

2 Likes

You can use DLSS3 in VR with Hogwarts? Very interesting, will need to try that. What’s your base framerate?