Eyetracking installation guide

Imagine a VR headset is not a normal consumer item like a radio or television.

It is still a niche that requires some special skill from the user.

That’s just nonsense. Consumer electronic = consumer electronic. Anyway I’ll leave it at this.

1 Like

Not only that you put the eye tracking right on the lenses so you losing fov!!! I am disappointed at that.

I’m sorry if I upset you.

I meant mod, but was thinking temporary because hopefully the situation is temporary so I accidentally linked the two words together, temporary mod, when of course, cutting something is a permanent mod.

2 Likes

@TheKingslayer_nl the next false trigger…

1 Like

I reckon if scissors fold the material and also if we have to cut rubber/plastic then a sharp junior hacksaw blade (without the saw handle) will suffice.

To get a straight line, maybe use a marker pen.

As long as the modification is a temporary situation, we could even use a fine nib white marker pen to draw two vertical lines with a 15cm ruler, then when cutting we’ll be sure to cut straight.

Although it won’t look pretty afterwards, any white line left on the edges of the material could be written over with a dark colour marker pen.

It is probably enough to make a cut on the left and right and fold the piece away in the middle

1 Like

Yeah I know, I read it all. But look at the video you put the sticky tape thing right on the lenses like 5 mm inwards. What you tape on you can’t see so you got a fov reduction. Also it is black so you could think in vr it is the end of the lens or pimax do also a fov software reduction so that 5 mm is not being rendered. Tell me how you don’t get a fov reduction if you put something on the lens?

1 Like

I can’t see the physical outer edges of the lens in my 8k.

2 Likes

Are you sure you don’t have a starvr of 200fov maybe you don’t notice it because it is black but if you put something on the lenses you got definitely a fov reduction maybe small but it must be there

Do we look to the extreme left/right in our peripheral vision in VR though? In games we turn our heads to look and don’t strain our eye balls to their maximum angle whilst keeping our heads straight.

I honestly think you won’t get a noticeable reduction in FOV as your eyes won’t be straining to spot the outer edges.

Like dstar mentioned, I never noticed anything like this with the 200 (170) FOV Pimax 8K lenses and the Eyetracking looks like it has next to no impact on reduced FOV that you’d see unless you were searching for it.

2 Likes

the tracker is also much closer to the eye.
you just look through it

1 Like

I know same as distortion but it is different with fov reduction. I don’t thing it does matter on normal fov but for the vertical fov you could see it. And I have a ipd of 60 so I am worried I look almost straight too it!

Every Japanese man, at least once in his childhood, studied martial arts with the admiration of a samurai. I was the same way. So I learned the basic handling of the sword. But it is a martial art, not a craft.

4 Likes

We still do not have a response on where to buy prescription inserts for the eyetrackkng module

1 Like

Come on there wouldn’t be a reduction in FOV they would not design it that way. Wait you can not install the damb thing anyway.
Can we back charge them $99 to do the modifying required? Even if is was free it still don’t fit! No wonder there were cost overruns. Back to the drawing board again…please be patient they will send out the official response and correction shortly. Although a bit humourous its really getting painful.

Having owned an index, I can tell you losing that little bit of distance is gonna be unnoticeable and is no big deal a far as FOV is concerned

1 Like

I do hope they make a much more professional guide. That one seemed a bit… crappy.

Quick thought for 8K-X users.

Don’t we get a comfort kit with our stretch goals?

If so, as 8K-X comes with the comfort kit anyway, presumably it now matters less if we cut the original one it ships with to accommodate Eyetracking?

I think we need to know how to configure the eye tracking module.
Will it work if we just install the eye tracking module?
Any more detailed instructions on how to use it?

3 Likes