Eyetracking installation guide

29 Likes

So you essentially need to sabotage your brand new $1300 product to make it fit with an OFFICIAL accessory?

Nice.

9 Likes

In what part of the video was he sabotaging the 8KX? Looks like perfectly fine installation to me, just with some extra steps.

Trevor, when did you receive the 8KX with eyetracking? Can you review the eyetracking?

5 Likes

it would be a bit more useful if they showed actually how to butcherā€¦ sorry ā€œmodifyā€ the shroud

but yeah, for the moment, thats a hard pass from me

2 Likes

did you not see the bit where theyā€™ve physically CUT part of the surround?

1 Like

Oh, I thought he was pointing to a different type of gasket. Well in that case, itā€™s really weird we have to cut part of it out. How after all these months of testing and quality control, Pimax still couldnā€™t figure out a proper design?

2 Likes

I guess that is one way to make a headset modular , get your customers to cut bits off and plug in mini USB hubs :grinning::smiley::grinning::grinning::grinning::grinning:

4 Likes

18 Likes

Haha do Pimax send one of those with the eye tracker kit ?

I did not, this is a Pimax video.

5 Likes

Oh okay. Then Pimax should advise on tool and safe cutting method. It looks like hard plastic that would be challenging to cut.

1 Like

Maybeā€¦I donā€™t knowā€¦produce the comfort kit with that already notched out?

9 Likes

Introducing the new Pimax Easy cut modular modification took kitā„¢

Coming in the next pimax now event (subject to delays)
images (2)

17 Likes

The pimax experience - Cutting off parts with a saw your 1300 dollar headsetā€¦ Haha canā€™t make that up. And the driver for your newly received hardware will be ready soon! Until then, please enjoy looking at your new hardware!

13 Likes

If the installation of the eye tracking unit requires the machining of a comfort kit, then PIMAX should have made that fact known to us before it was released. People have varying skills with blades. Iā€™m not very good at it, and Iā€™m a little worried that Iā€™ll miss and get hurt.

11 Likes

Well that was a nice surprise. Might have been better though to have informed backers before we ordered Eyetracking to reduce a negative community response?

Personally, Iā€™m not bothered as I love overcoming a challenge, but unfortunately there are a few X backers out there who will blow this temporary mod, out of all proportion.

Naturally the 8K-X store purchased production model will come with a factory cut out, so ultimately the Eyetracking face foam cutting ā€˜scandalā€™ will blow over.

As long as we get this Eyetracking shroud ourselves in the mail, then as the first few hundred owners ever, itā€™s not that much of a hardship to break out a modelling knife/dremel although as pointed out, itā€™s bizarre on a such an expensive product.

The Divaā€™s will raise hell on here and elsewhere, hence warning us beforehand would have been wiser.

3 Likes

You are Japanese and not good with blades? I thought everyone had a sword at home over there! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Americans can also shoot the little piece out of the gasket Iā€™d assume. Just put that barrel straight to it. Make sure nothing of value is placed behind it.

6 Likes

I donā€™t think you know what the word ā€œtemporaryā€ means.

Its also not foam, its part of the plastic shroud of the headset, not foam.

Also, by definition, if you start cutting the plastic of the headset you have technically breached the warranty, so the next thing will be Pimax denying all warranty claims for anyone who has ā€œmodifiedā€ their headset.

1 Like

ok that doesnā€™t look too hard, and Iā€™m quite skilled with knives and tools, been a chef for more than 20 years and knives are my daily tool.

but it is kind of weird to require a mod to fit an official accessory. definitely not very consumer friendly.

1 Like

Could we perhaps have one day without new negative revelations, please? Or more precise: No reason for new negative revelations, just not revealing them wouldnā€™t help the case.
I think the 8kX is a promising device, I still look forward to it. Please donā€™t ruin the last spark of anticipation.

6 Likes