Eyetracking installation guide

100% agree. Why did they not mention it prior to selling it? It’s not a big deal to me, but it does come off as slightly shady tactics.

5 Likes

Whoever was design team lead dropped the ball as they should have been closely coordinating between the eyetracking and comfort kit teams to catch this incompatibility prior to final approval and shipping especially since one of those teams was a 3rd party supplier.

4 Likes

Imho they desperately need something like a system test that tests all required scenarios with each release candidate. These have to have the authority to say “sorry, you can’t put that chip here it blocks the upper usb port that is needed for eye tracking” or “nice comfort kit design, but you forgot to let space for eye tracking, please make another revision” etc. It might be that the people working on these parts didn’t consider all extension options. But somebody has to before things go to mass production.

2 Likes

It seems module development is completely removed from everything like no one is talking to each other. If your going to market this as a modular headset then at the bare minimum the modules shouldn’t require you cutting into the headset (or not being compatible at all with each other as is the case with hand/eye tracking modules)

Same story happened with the fans too, the comfort kit completely removed the ability to even mount the fans and Pimax ended up just cancelling them instead…

3 Likes

My question is do the newly shipped 8KX headsets have a modified insert for this? Or will we be required to cut our brand new 8KX insert as well?

8 Likes

Please be VERY careful when installing the eye tracker, first guy who did it broke his already:
https://community.openmr.ai/t/finally-i-received-pimax-vision-8kx-today-review/29014/309?u=djonko

4 Likes

I think with the eye tracker unit I might lose FOV because the eyes are 5mm further away from the lenses than without ?

EDIT:. But the reviewer says not less FOV. Well let’s hope.

Tbh it’s just a piece of the comfort kit.
Good thing I spent my downgrade coupon on the comfy, now I can destroy the other one by cutting it, if needed.

4 Likes

what a luck that the cutout has to be made by yourself.
I am just imagining the drama, if the clipping was already there and the light would come on without eyetracker. ^^

Haha yeah I was a bit overdramatic :wink: But then again, I don’t know of any other company that requires you to cut off things when you want to fit an add-on especially not for such an expensive device. Nor do I know of any other company that ships out hardware without having drivers available. It’s just not good business practice - at all.

1 Like

the hardware was delivered earlier to make us happy.
imagine it would be available just 2 weeks later … drama!
It will work with the next Pitool, this is ok…

2 Likes

Sure you can spin it anyway but honestly it’s not good business to ship out hardware when there’s not even a driver finished. What happens when last minute in the driver code a big problem arises that takes weeks of work to solve? You never know. Anyone who codes knows thing like that can happen. It’s for a reason that no other company does this.

6 Likes

What the f… i thought the pimax headset was modular…
I am not going to cut my 1300 euro device…

Then pimax please install it in our 8kx when its going to be sent to us…
@PimaxUSA @SweViver @PimaxQuorra

4 Likes

people went crazy because after 5 minutes the shop collapsed.
imagine shipping now takes 3 weeks.
Maybe. there were minor delays in the pitool elsewhere and it has therefore not yet been released by the programming team.

I’m sure there are many good solutions for that. (Piece of plastic that can click in/out of place, alternative comfort kit etc.) Asking the customer to cut holes into the product for basic assembly should be at the end of the list of possibliities.
E.g. in Germany you usually have the right to send back items bought from internet shops within 14 days if they aren’t what you like - as a replacement for not being able to try things out in the store. Given you send it back in the state you got it.
Pretty much impossible if you have to cut holes in it for trying it out.

Is this the end of the world? Of course not. It’s just - unnecessary. Again.

Ok, got the notification that my 8kX is on the way. Yay! Must collect positivity to not be too prejudiced, that would spoil the fun :slight_smile:

3 Likes

It is a $45 Comfort Kit…

4 Likes

Imagine going into your local electronics store, you buy a new nice flatscreen and when you connect it at home it displays a message “Sorry, our firmware isn’t ready yet, hold on, should be ready soon”…
Sorry it’s just not done like that.

2 Likes

I think on further reflection at a silent video, it’s best 8K-X backers don’t universally attempt surgery (if cutting plastic with a hacksaw blade is involved) and just wait for an official Eyetracking face cowling to be designed, if the wait won’t be months.

Perhaps Pimax could kindly update us what to do.

1 Like

You know, it would have been fine if they had told people before selling the eye tracker.

5 Likes

yea ,but what was al this talk about pimax the modular headset?

2 Likes